• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I didn't get a chance to post any pictures of the Bolens 1000 when I posted the pictures of all the Simplicity stuff that TD&H bought and I picked up. Dad bought this Bolens 1000 from the same seller and it worked out great for me to be able to pick everything up all at one shot.

It didn't run when we got it, both the front tires were off the bead. It came with a snow blade which is the best one dad has to date. Has a very cool sticker on the back of it which of course I forgot to take a pic of. It also came with a tiller and mower deck. He also had an extra set of mower blades.

We managed to get both the tires seated and aired up. They are both leaking slowly but it is better then being off the bead for now. First thing I did was look in the tank and it was extremely clean other then being a pine needle or two in there. Took the tank off and also removed the petcock to clean it.

Then proceeded to check for spark, which there wasn't any. It wasn't sparking at the points either. I checked the face of the points and the gap. The faces of the points looked like they were just replaced not long ago or not run long since they had last been replaced.

I took my multimeter and checked for continuity at the ignition switch to see if it wasn't removing the ground when the key was turned on and sure enough that was it. I might try and clean the switch and see if I can get it working again since it may just be some rust causing constant contact. I removed the magneto wire at the ignition switch for the time being. Cranked the engine over and we had spark. Tried a little carb spray in the carb and she fired off.

Dad ordered a carb kit from Jestin at tubeframes.com and we got it within two days. I got the carb cleaned up and rebuilt. I still stand by this when I say Zenith carbs suck. This is the third one now that I have done that has been warped I had to file to make flat again for proper sealing.

Anyway, got the carb put back on and put a little fresh gas in the tank. Dad put a battery in it and I tried to fire it off. It spit and sputtered a couple times and then she finally fired off after a little more carb adjustment. She runs great, no smoke what so ever. I have never seen so much barn dust and rust come flying out of the muffler like it did on this one when it first started LOL.

Anyway here is a short video of it running and a couple pictures attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0002.jpg
  • DSC_0003.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:15 PM

That was a great buy
thats the original seat too! You even got the steering wheel cap!

Congrats Grand on the new addition to the Bolens family :thumbs:
I have seen many warped carbs as well.....

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Looks good George and George. :D

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Grand, Great find! Can't wait for action shots of the tiller.

George, How'd you get all that on the trailer?

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:31 PM

That's a great find Grand! Sounds really good too! Thanks for the video George! Now you can till the garden after you get it plowed :dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:55 PM

All of it fit on the trailer pretty easy. The good thing is the walk behinds and the implements are smaller size. I put the mower deck and snow blade for the Bolens in the bed of the pickup.

Gotta thank Brian for pointing out this one for sale on eBay.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Looks like a good deal and sounds real nice too... congratulations!!

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Nice find.

#9 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 08:31 PM

That is a great little tractor. You are so fortunate to have the steering wheel center cap. I am sure you know that most of them are long gone.

#10 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 04:10 AM

george, did you buy it from kevin demarco? I know him from facebook, he bought some stuff from me a couple months ago, real nice fella. He had offered the tractor to me put I passed because I already had enough of them. He lives in elverson pa.....just curious if you picked them up there or picked them up out by island pizza at the barn right off rt. 422???? reason I ask is because I know he had those simplicity walk behinds too...

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 04:47 AM

Wow, great buy George.:thumbs:

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 05:05 AM

george, did you buy it from kevin demarco? I know him from facebook, he bought some stuff from me a couple months ago, real nice fella. He had offered the tractor to me put I passed because I already had enough of them. He lives in elverson pa.....just curious if you picked them up there or picked them up out by island pizza at the barn right off rt. 422???? reason I ask is because I know he had those simplicity walk behinds too...

Yes it was Kevin that we got the stuff from. He had the stuff on eBay and it ended up working out pretty good where TD&H wanted the walk behinds and dad wanted the Bolens.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 05:06 AM

That is a great little tractor. You are so fortunate to have the steering wheel center cap. I am sure you know that most of them are long gone.

I think it is great that the steering wheel cap is there but in a way I think I like them better without it LOL.

#14 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 07:10 AM

That is a nice find and it sure sounds good.
I agree that you are lucky that it still has a steering wheel cap at all, let alone one that is in good condition.

#15 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:24 AM

I think it is great that the steering wheel cap is there but in a way I think I like them better without it LOL.

You can always box it up and send the cap to me if you dont like it :D