I had to go look over a house that a friend may be buying, so I couldn't go back to get the tractor and drop of the snowshoes. My son and my cousin helped me out and went to pick it up for me last night. Naturally we had to see if it would run, so we put a good battery in it and cranked it over. The tractor fired up, but there was no way to get the carb adjusted to run right. The guy was right about the tractor only working in reverse, so I popped the cover off just in front of the seat and the RH side hydro relief valve was stuck down. Instead of trying to free it up, I decided to just unbolt everything to gain access to the valve and replace it. What a royal pain in the a*# that was. I replaced the valve and partially put the tractor back together to test it out. Foreward works as it should now, so it was off to the carb problem. I cleaned the sediment bowl and replaced the fuel line. Luckily the gas tank was clean and free of water and rust. The carb itself was another story. The throttle shaft was very loose in the stamped steel linkage bracket from wear. I had another Carter #30 carb, but this one has the throttle shaft where the linkage clamps on. I had a basic rebuild kit for this carb, so I cleaned it up, assembled it and installed it. The tractor runs fine and doesn't smoke, so I'm just going to clean it up good and service it. There is a lot of slop in the steering arm at the top of the LF front spindle, but I find this to be common with these machines. The rubber mounts are broken on the voltage regulator, and the choke cable needs to be replaced. I have good spares laying around, so I think I'll continue working on it tomorrow. The headlights work, but I have to splice in new taillight wires near the back of the tractor. Other than some minor repairs, this should be a good work tractor for around the place.
Edited by classic, July 06, 2016 - 07:45 PM.