Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

A Cub Cadet 147 for 175.00 .....and a pair of snowshoes.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,385 Thanks
  • 1,571 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 07:32 PM

My daughter was out hitting yard sales and sent me a pic of a Cub cadet that a guy was selling. Since it was a 147, I was interested. She didn't talk price with him, so I went up the following morning to see if it was still there. There were a bunch of old sheds and junk in crates for sale that have been sitting for a while. As I pulled up, the owner came out and we talked for quite a while over coffee. He bought the tractor from a local mower shop 20 years ago. He parked it in the shed 5 or so years ago and decided to roll it out and get it running. He did get it to run, but not very well. Reverse worked, but it wouldn't go forward, so I told him that one of the hydro release valves is probably stuck down.He said that he was just getting it running to put it out for sale since he had no use for it anymore. Both mower decks are in rough shape since they have been sitting out for years. The 38" deck housing is good, but probably needs spindle bearings and an idler pulley. The 48" deck is like Swiss cheese with multiple patches on it, but it has the pulley covers that are missing on mine. He wanted 200 for it, but mentioned that he was looking for a pair of old snowshoes. I have about 5 old pairs, so I offered him 175.00 and the snowshoes for the tractor. "You got a deal", is what he said, and I thanked him.
I had to go look over a house that a friend may be buying, so I couldn't go back to get the tractor and drop of the snowshoes. My son and my cousin helped me out and went to pick it up for me last night. Naturally we had to see if it would run, so we put a good battery in it and cranked it over. The tractor fired up, but there was no way to get the carb adjusted to run right. The guy was right about the tractor only working in reverse, so I popped the cover off just in front of the seat and the RH side hydro relief valve was stuck down. Instead of trying to free it up, I decided to just unbolt everything to gain access to the valve and replace it. What a royal pain in the a*# that was. I replaced the valve and partially put the tractor back together to test it out. Foreward works as it should now, so it was off to the carb problem. I cleaned the sediment bowl and replaced the fuel line. Luckily the gas tank was clean and free of water and rust. The carb itself was another story. The throttle shaft was very loose in the stamped steel linkage bracket from wear. I had another Carter #30 carb, but this one has the throttle shaft where the linkage clamps on. I had a basic rebuild kit for this carb, so I cleaned it up, assembled it and installed it. The tractor runs fine and doesn't smoke, so I'm just going to clean it up good and service it. There is a lot of slop in the steering arm at the top of the LF front spindle, but I find this to be common with these machines. The rubber mounts are broken on the voltage regulator, and the choke cable needs to be replaced. I have good spares laying around, so I think I'll continue working on it tomorrow. The headlights work, but I have to splice in new taillight wires near the back of the tractor. Other than some minor repairs, this should be a good work tractor for around the place.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160704_194051.jpg

Edited by classic, July 06, 2016 - 07:45 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,604 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:06 AM

Decent looking tractor! Glad you got it running and moving.

• classic said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Good find

• classic said thank you

#4 EricR OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495