6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Our potatoes and onions are looking real good.  Potato vines are just starting to dry up.  Onions are standing tall and larger the pool balls.  Got one nice head of cauliflower and no broccoli.  Have another dozen plants, 6 of each and none show signs of forming any heads.  Plants are over 2' tall.  Soil test neutral this spring and now.  Don't understand why no heads on the rest of the plants.  Apple trees are real sparse also.  Peach trees are loaded and several falling off already.

Been a crazy spring for gardening and I blame it on the high heat we had early.  Trees took a long time to fill out too.

We did have a lot of nice radish, more than we could eat.  Same with the lettuce.  Our goats ate good for several days.  Cucumbers are just starting to come on now.  Picked about a dozen that were about 2" diameter and 8-9" long.

First pumpkin plant got about a foot tall and started dieing.  To much rain and it rotted off at the ground.  Replanted and one is about 6" tall again.  Planted another type and 2 of the 4 hills came up.  Planting large pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns.  Still have plenty of pie pumpkin in the freezer from last year.

Must be doing something wrong some place as we never had this kind of garden problems before.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 02:27 AM

We have a problem around here that there aren't enough honey bees anymore. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 05:23 AM

Our garden isn't doing the same as other years either . Asparagus was about 1/4 of what we had last year .We just started getting peas 2 weeks ago , those should have be producing much earlier , they were in the ground what seems forever lol . The potato plants are starting to die off and I dug a few for eating now . For the ones I dug is about normal ( not many lol )  My broccoli never formed very big heads and some the head would develop on one side but not the other , maybe not enough water ?  Hope yours gets better for the second half of the gardening season , Al    

• boyscout862, HANKG and chieffan have said thanks

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,864 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 06:22 AM

Garden is doing well when the tomatoes ripen they will keep me busy giving them away, string beans are producing nicely, onions, sweet potato and brussel sprout going crazy zucchini and yellow squash going well. When all is said and done it will have been a very successful year.
  • Alc, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Garden is doing well when the tomatoes ripen they will keep me busy giving them away, string beans are producing nicely, onions, sweet potato and brussel sprout going crazy zucchini and yellow squash going well. When all is said and done it will have been a very successful year.

Glad to hear things are better out your way.  Peas and beans do nothing in our soil, which is good black sandy dirt.  Had a lot of hot weather early this year so that may have messed things up.  Have plenty of sweet potatoes from last years bumper crop so didn't plant any this year.  Everybody has Zucchini so we don't plant it.  Have it given to us.

• Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 10:53 AM

My garden is sick this year.  Got warm, we planted and had a late, unexpected freeze.  Replanted a second time after frost had come and gone.  I'll be dayumed if it did not freeze again.  I was able to replant a 3rd time, sorta.  No cukes, sprouts and cabbage, flowers are done.  Corn is pretty short.  I do have some melons coming up but I don't think anything will come of them.  Taters.... I think this is my fault, they shot up like weeds, pretty darn tall and tons of flower heads on them.  Dig down, find nothing.  I believe I got the nitrogen levels too high, used a lot of chicken poop. 

Good luck with ya'lls garden, I'm not down and out, but gonna be a shy fall with little canning going on this year.

• Alc said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 05:16 PM

You might be able to nip the tater plants back and still get something from them?
Like you do with the fruit trees?
  • Alc said thank you