11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 04:59 PM

We have had Poms as house dogs for many years.  We lost our last one to kidney failure a couple weeks ago.  Poms are hard to find in this area at a reasonable price.  Found this guy at a private rescue place.  The owner brought him here today for a home visit, to be sure he was going to a good home and would we taken care of.  About 3 yo and came from a back yard kennel.  Never had any attention till the rescue got him.  going to take a little time but he is adapting real good so far.  Just not sure about men yet.  Claimed his spot at the deck table already.

Cooper 1 st Pic.JPG

Edited by chieffan, July 04, 2016 - 08:53 PM.

• olcowhand, grnspot110, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 05:02 PM

Poms are wonderful dogs. I lost my little buddy a few weeks ago. I don't have it in me to get anymore dogs. I think we will stay dogless for now on.

Great on rescuing him. Looks like. Beautiful dog.
  • Alc, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Poms are wonderful dogs. I lost my little buddy a few weeks ago. I don't have it in me to get anymore dogs. I think we will stay dogless for now on.

Great on rescuing him. Looks like. Beautiful dog.

It sure get awful quit without one around though when your used having them in your life.  We decided right away that the next one we got would be a rescue dog.  Just happened to luck out on this one.

• Alc, Traill95, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:27 PM

I've had dogs since I was 5. 27 years of always having at least one dog. Sometimes 2 or 3. Me and my ex wife fostered dogs and had many different ones through our home.

You are right it sure is quiet without a dog. And I miss the companionship greatly. But I just feel right now I've shed ebough tears on furry friends that I can't do it anymore

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • Traill95, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:42 PM

We had Newfies for over 20 years. The Lymes disease killed them. The lag time between them getting sick and then cured, took abit more out of them each time until they died. Coda died 8 years ago. We miss him but I can't do it to another dog and I can't take the pain of loss again. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 04, 2016 - 06:43 PM.

• Traill95, oldedeeres, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:57 PM

That's one lucky little dog. Does he have a name yet? Maybe " Lucky" would be a possibility. Kudos to you for taking in a rescue, the poor little guy needed a break from what life had dealt him. Our last cat, Opi, came from the S.P.C.A.  Found in a sealed box in a back alley at about three days of age with his four siblings and his mother. We got him at about five months, the only one left because, as the staff said, "everyone wanted to adopt pretty cats, and he's only black!"

• Traill95, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 08:19 PM

It sure get awful quit without one around though when your used having them in your life.  We decided right away that the next one we got would be a rescue dog.  Just happened to luck out on this one.

Our dog is a rescue dog. She is a mutt terrier and we would not let her go for anything.

• oldedeeres, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:03 PM

That's one lucky little dog. Does he have a name yet? Maybe " Lucky" would be a possibility. Kudos to you for taking in a rescue, the poor little guy needed a break from what life had dealt him. Our last cat, Opi, came from the S.P.C.A.  Found in a sealed box in a back alley at about three days of age with his four siblings and his mother. We got him at about five months, the only one left because, as the staff said, "everyone wanted to adopt pretty cats, and he's only black!"

The Rescue lady told us that the kennel he was at was run by Hispanics and he had a Hispanic name.  She changed it to Cooper right away.  2 days after she got him he went to the vet for neutering, all shots, heart worm check and microchip implant.  That was on June 6th.  Today she gave him another app of flea & tick meds.  Also got a folder with all his information, shot records, etc,  5 lb bag of dog food, a can of dog food and 2 bags of treats. 
As a rescue Purina provides all the eats free.  Rescue pays for shipping only at a rate of $.06 per lb.  I paid a $100 adoption fee which was well worth it.  I think at this point we have a lap dog on our hands.  Not real sure of me yet though.  Will take some time.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,039 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 04:27 AM

The more I see of mankind, The more I enjoy the company of dogs. I don't know who coined that, But they were Dam right!
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:50 AM

All we have ever had is Rescue dogs.  Years ago we used to do fostering for a local rescue.  Even as a kid my mother worked for a vet so we ended up with quite a few dogs and cats that were supposed to be put down but my mother ended up bringing them home.  I think Rescue really is the only way to go.  Good for you Chieffan!  :thumbs:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 02:34 PM

Good name, Cooper.  That's my son's name!

#12 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Congrats on the new dog, I just lost my 9yr old lab yesterday so it will be a while before I want another one.