• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bgroves OFFLINE  

bgroves
  • Member No: 83753
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 02:33 PM

I know it's just a really heavy lawn tractor but I was offered a non running Sears 'GT' (that is all the sticker says no GTX000)

From the serial number/model number sticker I'm guessing it was made around 1998 (says something about meeting ANSI safety spec blah blah 1998)

When I picked it up the previous owner said it started acting like it was starving for fuel and he had started 'working' on it but was given another mower.

It has a kohler 20 horse v twn (cv20?) so my first thought was backfire solenoid.

Well air cleaner was off, top plate of carb (the one over the tiny maze with a small jet ) was off. Carb was just stuck on the studs air cleaner was laying next to tractor with filter small parts and lots of nasty water..... oh well.

Dragged it home. Pulled plugs checked that it had oil turned by hand ok ready to try just cranking it with the starter with plugs out and no fuel.

Assuming battery was junk dragged my home made 12 dc generator/jump starter hooked the 1200 cca battery to tractor and it wouldn't try to crank. Ok perhaps starter solenoid or wiring is hosed.

took positive jumper off battery and touched to starter side of solenoid and it cranked and no bad noises or anything nasty expelled from plug holes.

Stuck some plugs I had recently changed and were known good in engine shot bit of starter fluid into intake (carb laying on table awaiting attention) and it fired up for a few seconds WOOHOO.

OK now down to business. Blew back through fuel line I removed from vacuum pump through filter into tank and it was clear. reattached fuel line to pump briefly cranked engine and fuel came out of pump wow several years of sitting and fuel pump still works.

As an extra bonus the gas smelled a bit stale but not horrible.

Cleaned carb, removed plunger from backfire solenoid before reassembling it and installing on engine.

Set key to run set throttle to full, manually held choke closed (linkage from carb to the assembly on front of engine missing) cranked by holding cable to starter side of solenoid and it fired up and ran. after a moment opened choke it kept running SWEET.

Now the problem if I try and release the brake the ignition is killed instantly. Same if I try and engage PTO.

So what condition with key on run would not ground out ignition but would kill tractor of you tried to release brake or engage blade ?

Well seat switch of course.... but I have tried removing the switch and shorting the two wires ( I assume switch has to be closed for run and is normally open until you sit down) but same symptom.

So won't crank, if jumped will run but dies instantly if you release brake or engage PTO.

Now I'm aware this could be separate problems but want to start with finding the reason for it shorting ignition if brake released.

I am thinking they may be symptoms of same problem but I could also have a bad starter solenoid as the tractor is new to me I'm going to assume NOTHING is good :-)

I would appreciate any guidance and if anyone knows where I can find a wiring diagram that would be great.

Brian

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 03:46 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. I used your model # at Sears Parts Direct and found the Owners Manual. Page 35 has a wiring diagram.

• bgroves said thank you

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 04:45 PM

I just had a look at the wiring diagram that Kenny linked to. Your tractor is set up so that if the parking brake is on and the pto disengaged, it will still run if you get off the seat. You are correct that the "operator presence" switch is open till you sit on it, so connecting the two wires together like you have done should let it keep running with the PTO on or the brake dis-engaged. Since it does not, that leaves the "operator presence" relay as your culprit (or bad connections to it).

Jim

Oh yeah, welcome to the site!

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, July 04, 2016 - 04:46 PM.

• MH81 and bgroves have said thanks

#4 bgroves OFFLINE  

bgroves
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 04:53 PM

You sir are a scholar and gentleman !

While doing further electrical troubleshooting I found the ignition switch wasn't plugged in at all well.

Unplugged, plugged back in and away we go.

Using the manual you provided I just found the part # for the missing choke linkage, googled it and found the exact part.

I have a feeling that manual and I are going to see way too much of each other.

Well it needs a good battery and once I have the choke linkage I can button the breather back up and do a normal service so it's looking like this one will live again.... once I get the deck freed up but that's a battle for another day.

Thank you very much.

Brian

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5 bgroves OFFLINE  

bgroves
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 08:27 PM

Wasn't sure if I could ask on this thread or start a new one so here goes.

I have saved this one from the scrap heap and it's sort of growing on and I'd like to look for attachments (heavy blade, wheel weights 3 point hitch)

What should I look for to be sure attachments are compatible with my garden tractor ? Any specific descriptors or key phrases that'll let me know it's compatible with this series of tractor ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:33 AM

What size are the rear tires?

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:26 AM

What size are the rear tires?

Haven't figured that out through Sears, but it does have bolt on rear wheels.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 bgroves OFFLINE  

bgroves
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 12:09 PM

12" wheels with a 5 bolt mounting pattery tires are 23" IIRC.

It's a vertical shaft hydro but it is certainly heavier than the usual riding lawn mower a fact I can attest to after loading it without it running via ramps onto my 4x4 F-350. Man I have to get a trailer if I am going to keep rescuing lawn equipment.

#9 JiminRI ONLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 63 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 10:19 PM

Brian,

The attached Fit-up guide has the part numbers for the attachments that fit your tractor. They include a snow blade and snow blower, but not a sleeve hitch.

I googled the rear tire part number and found a listing indicating it is a 23X9.5-12.

Good luck,

Jim

Edited by JiminRI, July 17, 2016 - 10:26 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 JiminRI ONLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 63 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 07:59 PM

I'm not sure what happened to the attachment so I'll try again.

Attached Files

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 05:09 AM

I'm not sure what happened to the attachment so I'll try again.

Is that uploaded to the manuals section? We've had a couple times links like these have gotten broken.

• Alc said thank you