• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:42 PM

I recently have been looking for a 4-5 foot sickle mower to run on my open side  1975ish Ford LGT 145.   Was there a special model of HABAN that fit the Ford?  Is there something else I should be looking for?

I have about 20 evergreens that weeds/muberry trees keep growing in. I want something that will reach in and trim under them a few times a year.

Thanks for any info.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 01:43 PM

I found this in one of the brochures we have uploaded:

ScreenShot033.jpg

That would be equal to finding hen's teeth to get one, probably.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 05:30 PM

I have seen several for sale .  But there seem to be several versions made for various GT's .  Dieter is a good option.  But I never seen one.  The Haban ones seem to pop up.

C

• Alc said thank you

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Looking at some Haban documentation, I see that the Haban 401B is listed as being for the LGT 100.

Now, if the LGT 145 is basically an LGT 100 with a larger engine, then it may work for you.

Finding one may not be easy.

• Alc, KennyP and milkdud have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 10:04 AM

Looking at some Haban documentation, I see that the Haban 401B is listed as being for the LGT 100.

Now, if the LGT 145 is basically an LGT 100 with a larger engine, then it may work for you.

Finding one may not be easy.

The 100 would basically be the same, OB.

• milkdud said thank you

#6 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 12:11 PM

Thank you very much guys.  I appreciate it.

#7 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 165 Thanks
  • 134 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Another thought if you can't find a sickle mower: If you can find an offset tow behind, they do a pretty good job getting under stuff as well. As long as there is a foot or two clearance between the ground and the lower branches, the offset mower will fit right in. I get under all sorts of stuff with this offset.

Mine is  a 66 inch, but you don't need to get anything that big. I never have really looked for a rear tow behind on craigslist, but I bet they come up more than a LGT compatible sickle mowers. Also-fwiw-  at least on a recent EBAY listing of an LGT compatible  sickle mower- the seller knew what he had, and wanted top $$$ for it.

As a  bonus, you don't need to remove the belly deck to set up the sickle mower/vice versa. Just hook up the tow behind, and mow away! 

An additional bonus is that when your LGT deck inevitably breaks (belt/bearing,rusts out, etc...) - You can still mow the lawn with the tow behind while you fix the lgt deck (or mow your lawn twice as fast with the tow behind)

I've included two pics- one of the offset mower, and two of the pines/ cedars that I mow under for example The tree on the left is cut kind of high (I didn't do that), but the trees behind the pole and to the right of the picture are pretty low. (But don't look TOO hard because in the picture I hadn't mowed under any of them recently in the pic!) LOL!  :D

Just something to think about, especially if you run across one at a yard sale or something and can't locate a sickle.

In my latest pipe dream- I'm considering beginning to search for a sickle mower that attaches via rear 3 point and attaching to a pto drive, or mounting a small independent motor on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• LN0A8966_3936.JPG
  • trees.jpg

Edited by dualresponse1731, July 05, 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#8 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Most of my pine branches are very low. And I don't want to blow the needle bed away with a traditional blade mower. Ive seen a few for sale.  Ill probably pick up one that is close and modify it to work.  

My ford it just for play and lifting things.  I mounted a crane lift to the back and I carry heavy things around the shop with it.   My main mower is a Gravely zero turn. 

Thanks again for the ideas. 

• Alc said thank you

#9 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 165 Thanks
  • 134 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Understood!  The more I look at one, the more I am going to try to find a rear 3 point for myself as a DIY modification project! Good luck, and please post is you get one!