battery holding a charge black smoke

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tfstu'pd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83749
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 10:59 AM

I have a 2008 Husqvarna 234XLS, 22 hp, Tractor with 854 hours of use. I also have a snow thrower attachment .I have two issues, 1st one- battery would not hold a charge, so I replaced it. Once when I was mowing I noticed the mower deck was not going, so I shut it off and turned the tractor off, and when I went to start the tractor all it did was click, click. Everything seemed to go well till yesterday, I put about 1 gal of high test in and proceeded to mow. then it started to run rough and and puffs of black smoke was coming out. so I turned the tractor off and when I went back out it wouldn't start again. I had purchased a new solenoid and was going to replace it today, but now its the black smoke issue troubling me. Please help!!   TFstu'pd

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,485 Thanks
  • 7,357 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to GTT. Puffs of black smoke usually indicate that the carborator is running very rich(too much gas). Check the airfilter. If it is dirty, it can cause a rich condition. I like to add Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas. It helps keep it clean and corrosion free.

Before changing any electrical system components: clean all electrical connection(especially the grounds), fully charge the battery, and with it running check that it charges. You may find the engine manual for your tractor in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Like Rick said check your charging output.  A digital voltmeter really helps, you can get one for under 20 bucks at the local hardware/car parts house, or under 15 bucks online.  looks something like this

First check your battery resting voltage with the engine turned off.  Red probe to positive terminal, black to negative.  Then start the engine and check the charging voltage.  It should be higer than theresting voltage, usually around 13-14 volts dc.

Lugging/dying/black smoke can also be a symptom of low voltage from a faulty charging system.  That would be the first thing i'd check, along with the air filter, easiest to do.  if that don't fix it you might have dirt in the carb, good luck