12 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:50 AM

Got show book in winter. February turned in the summers wants for vacations to shows. Book said Winnamac, IN was the week of 18th!  SO, signed up for vacation, got it as usual. NOW, flyers I have and on-line show the thing to be Next Week!  What crap! And, it's gonna rain most of week! I just wrecked my truck, so not sure on trailer to get there with tractors, then Wife made Hotel Res for week it is not on,  and I'm not ready with the tractors that I wanted to take then.  This must not be My summer!  Now gonna look at hitch on Wife's Terrain. Might be able to haul ONE tractor on small trailer with that little thing. Thinking of renting a U-haul truck, maybe even big box one, just to haul tractors, might be too much money??  I'm really bumbed out this year.  REWIND!  Now hoping I can get off work for it, but probly not, this is Sat work week, and most take off Fridays to be able to miss Sat. AND, kinda late in summer to make changes for a whole week!  Might have to just blow -off some days and get in trouble. Worth it?  Probly not. My luck I'ld get Fired then too, just to keep the flo going along!  Man, depressed! 

• Gtractor, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,228 Thanks
  • 3,216 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:58 AM

If it doesn't work out, take a deep breath, check which side of the grass you're on, relax, take your wife to a lake, the mountains, the beach, for a few days, and just kick back. I've stressed out over vacations and all I wanted to do, car shows, boating, etc... Best vacations ever were those I just got in the car and went.

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,708 Thanks
  • 2,167 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Keep your chin up there will always be another event, I missed all the big shows this spring due to bad weather or work.
  • MH81, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 10:59 AM

It has been a tough year for me so far too. I suggest that you take it as someone up there trying to guide you. Relax, concentrate on the things that you must do, try a staycation, treat yourselves to some day trips and nice meals out. When you push things too hard, its easy for things to go very wrong.

I'm having to prioritize my time to fixing my truck and van. I'm recovering but it is slow. I take each little accomplishment a step towards my goals. I do still sneak some time to play with GTs. Try to enjoy your summer. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:10 AM

I drew the short straw this weekend, but will have Saegertown weekend off.
Find out if there are any further away and make a day trip of it to see something different?
Don't have to take a tractor to enjoy a show. 99% of what I do at shows involve flapping my lips. Eating or talking.
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,538 Thanks
  • 3,075 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Try an "anything can happen" holiday. Make a 500 mile circle around your hometown on a roadmap, close your eyes and twirl the map, drop your finger , and wherever it lands, go there. If there's a town near there, remember that to those who choose to live there it is home, and the best place in the world to be. Learn all you can about the area, the people who settled in the place, visit the local museum, camp in the park or stay in the motel, drive the back roads and talk to the folks as if you were planning on living there. Sometimes we need a time warp, no pressure, no agenda, just the chance to drop out and do something spontaneous. All of your country is your home and it's a wonderful thing to know it.

• Gtractor, MH81, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,240 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:34 PM

Might have to just blow -off some days and get in trouble. Worth it?  Probly not. My luck I'ld get Fired then too, just to keep the flo going along!  Man, depressed! 

Relax Gl. If you don't get out of the hobby this year, there is always the next one.

• Gtractor, oldedeeres, MrMarty51 and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,771 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Don't have any show problem in this neck of the wood.  Shows are all a day+ drive from home.  Used to take a long weekend and go to a big country fair for 3 days.  Sold the camper as the walking is more than we want to endure any more.  Every day is a vacation if we decide to go that route.  The boss does her thing with all her flowers and I work with my Garden Railroad or Gt's.  Road trip in the morning to pick up a Bolens 1054 and a motor operated tiller.  Looks good in the pictures and PO said both engines ran.  More interested in the tiller than the tractor but what the heck.

• MH81, Sawdust and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#9 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62893
  • 139 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 03:52 PM

YUP, it seems when I have to force something to happen, it usually doesn`t turn out so well.

Take it a day at a time, there are some might fine suggestions in the previous posts.

Those day journesy sounds like fun, never know. You might even find some tractors that will "follow" You home. :rolling:

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 3,740 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like a week of my life GL. There is always hope for a better week.

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 05:32 PM

everything I see online for the Winamac show says it is still happening when you took the time off for it... might have to check that one out.

#12 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,392 Thanks
  • 3,812 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I quit buying show guides because they are almost always wrong.  The problem is the show dates have to be turned in - up to a full year ahead. 

The last straw was when one major guide just reprinted the previous years show dates with a new year listed. 

Most shows of size now have a website or at least a Facebook page.  I know some of you don't facebook and that's fine but its free for the show instead of paying $100/year for a site.

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:10 PM

Sorry to hear your problems GL. A lot of good advice. Being self employed it was always hard to plan ahead, I never knew what I was doing months down the road. Some of our best trips were spontaneous. Things happen for a reason sometimes. Find the joy & blessings in what you have & go from there.