• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 03:32 PM

At least that's what I call it. Had this laying around for years. I was bolting it to my blade, but only had about 1.5" of teeth in the ground. So I rounded up some metal today and fab a hitch for it. I also fixed on of the lift bars for the Ford so I now have some down pressure. Enough talking, here's the pics.
Image009 (Small).jpg

Haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, but should tear up something.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image007 (Small).jpg
  • Image010 (Small).jpg
  • Image008 (Small).jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 04:31 PM

That looks like it will do some damage to the terrain, good work.
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 04:36 PM

Nice work Kenny! That would be nice if you had some minor leveling to do. Rough it up with that, then grade it with a blade! Looks great!
  • KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 05:06 PM

Thanks, guys. I hope to try it out one of these days.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:19 AM

scarifier 2.jpg

I have something similiar. I had a JDX475 and made a drag that I lifted with the 3pt. Later I mounted the same drag on a dirt scoop frame and haul it behind my 2320. As you can see it does a great job on my gravel driveway.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scarifier 1.jpg
  • Driveway scarified.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Brian, yours inspired me to make mine. When I saw what you had I thought "Dummy, you've got the bar with the teeth. Go build it." LOL I hope it ia going to be a big help for loosening things for the blade I have. At least pull the grass roots up.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 07:32 PM

They pull pretty hard with 24 spikes on them like that. When I had the 475 I could stop it dead if it got too deep. It weighed about 1200 lbs and had a dif lock and 26x12/12 AG's on it. With the 2320 I can bury it pretty much and pulling it up the hill on the driveway I usually have to use the dif lock but didn't need fwd. I have to be careful as it will bend the spikes if it hits something hard. I had the dirt scoop laying around when I got the loader and rather than sell it I cobbled up a mount using some 5/8bolts and angle iron. It works really well.
I have a rear blade and really wanted a box blade but this combination works so well for the driveway that I doubt I could ever justify a box blade. I have also used it in the winter to break up ice on the driveway. If you can gear up a shelf to hold some weight you can get it to dig in better. I started out with the spikes 4"apart on mine and then went to 2 inches.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:34 AM

I'm working on an idea for weight. I have come upon 28 of the 5 lb. cast window weights so far, 140 lbs. Hope to get the other 36 soon. I already have 11 of the 7 lb. Just need to come up with something to put them in. I do have down pressure on the hydraulics.

#9 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Looks like it'll do the job.Nice build BTW. I can see that it would be tough pulling especially with only 2" spacing.I made a tooth bar for the front of my MF 1655 and find it works good for piling brush etc: I used it a bit last fall to dig into rotted brush piles to try to salvage reclaim some dirt.It was hard digging with it on,it was better to just use the bucket.The reason is that it bolts to the bottom of the bucket so it adds to the cutting blade width making it about 1" wide rather then a sharp edge.I'll have to modify it somewhat if I want it too work better.I guess if I just used it for ripping it would be OK.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 1655's new tooth bar 004 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655's new tooth bar 001 (Small).jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:35 AM

Kenny , if it digs in too much maybe you could make the angle adjustable like those spike tooth harrows that where made for GTs, Al

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:23 PM

I'm working on an idea for weight. I have come upon 28 of the 5 lb. cast window weights so far, 140 lbs. Hope to get the other 36 soon. I already have 11 of the 7 lb. Just need to come up with something to put them in. I do have down pressure on the hydraulics.

I don't have down pressure but isn't a bit counter productive when you need traction. The weight you are applying to the implement comes off of the rear wheels.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 04:16 AM

Brian and Al, I failed to mention that I put the teeth angled 10 degrees forward. The down pressure will be used to get it started into the ground through grass roots. If it floated, probably would just skim over the grass. Once it starts digging into the ground, then I can adjust how deep/traction issues with the hydraulic lift. Kind of like working a box blade on a larger tractor.
I have a total of 48 of the 5 lb. weights so far, with another 20 still in the walls of the house. I will get them later. I already have 11 of the 7 lb. ones. This will give me over 400 lbs. total of these. Also, this tractor weights over 1000 lbs. with me on it. I plan to add WW fluid to the tires at some point. It will be a learning experience, but I do believe the down pressure will be needed to keep it in the ground over uneven areas.