Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Diesel engine/drivetrain combo these guys running?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Have seen turbo diesel garden tractor pulls on YouTube. Looks really cool.....what kinda setup these guys using for engines and transmissions
rearends?
Some very sharp looking tractors out there too.....just like the real thing only smaller!
Seems to be more popular overseas tho???
Anyone running one of these......what ya got, would love to see it!?
Thanks Luke
  • MH81 and Marshafupe have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 08:32 PM

A lot of money is involved with these little things. The setup on these are pretty much top notch and require some serious hardware to keep them going. I run a pretty standard setup on mine which isnt hard to do just very expensive to do but well worth it. I have roughly $12,000 in mine so far which is rather cheap compared to those who are running planetaries and automotive style clutch setups.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 2016-04-22 19.58.00.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#3 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:34 AM

A lot of money is involved with these little things. The setup on these are pretty much top notch and require some serious hardware to keep them going. I run a pretty standard setup on mine which isnt hard to do just very expensive to do but well worth it. I have roughly $12,000 in mine so far which is rather cheap compared to those who are running planetaries and automotive style clutch setups.

Wow......nothing cheap about the little ones either!!!
That's a beautiful start to a perfect 1586 international tractor!
Would love to see the finished product......do you run a turbocharged kubota?
Other than sheet metal are they all pretty much standard components from one tractor to the next........I have watched a few pull online and they sure are wild and very dangerous sob's! Any companies online building parts for these little monsters!?
Be neat to put together a Massey 1155 version!
Luke

• MH81 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:37 AM

Man! That all stainless body or just what??  That alone would cost ya!  I never got into the pulling, and don't consider them a real tractor when they have more than one engine and special fuels and not much orig tractor parts on them at all.  The build work is always awesome tho.

• MH81 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:27 PM

Wow......nothing cheap about the little ones either!!!
That's a beautiful start to a perfect 1586 international tractor!
Would love to see the finished product......do you run a turbocharged kubota?
Other than sheet metal are they all pretty much standard components from one tractor to the next........I have watched a few pull online and they sure are wild and very dangerous sob's! Any companies online building parts for these little monsters!?
Be neat to put together a Massey 1155 version!
Luke

Yes I run a turbo charged kubota. Right now im sitting on 32 pounds of boost with it. Anymore and the head gasket will rip apart and the head could lift off the block which would require ARP head studs. Each setup is different on each puller. I run a fully built rear end with a heavy duty billet dodge carrier. The transmission alone is about 2800$. It's a slow process as theres really no after market for these. Basically if you wanted work done you would send it to one of the big diesel performance shops to have redone. There's billet flywheels and a few other items available but that's it. 

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:30 PM

Man! That all stainless body or just what??  That alone would cost ya!  I never got into the pulling, and don't consider them a real tractor when they have more than one engine and special fuels and not much orig tractor parts on them at all.  The build work is always awesome tho.

It's all aluminum body. It was actually in the scrap pile at my old work so I could buy aluminum by the pound for scrap prices. My dad is a fabricator and welder so I left it in his hands. Its not totally done yet as I have one more big plan for it but im happy with it. To keep all the cub purists happy there's no cub parts on this besides the frame and steering wheel. That's it.   

• MH81 said thank you

#7 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:57 PM

So where you find the rear end components and engine parts......different turbo's?
You have any pictures of your rearend setup?
You running a 1105T kubota?

#8 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Midwest super cub, Nichols performance, lakota racing, zack kerber, those are the main suppliers of transmission parts. As far as turbos' thats the experiment to find out which one works or doesnt. Yes thats the engine im currently using. 

IMG_20150811_222202625.jpg

This is a full heavy duty dodge dart billet carrier with reverse ring gear

IMG_20150811_222232877.jpg

The difference between a fine spline 2 piece carrier with stock ring gear versus the heavy duty reverse cut

IMG_20150811_222054936.jpg

This is the axles. On the left is from the billet dodge dart setup. 7.25mm axles. The right is 1 inch from the 2 piece fine spline

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#9 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the information on parts suppliers, pictures and explaining the difference in the rearend components.......
Are guys using factory OEM transmissions and just changing gears for more wheel speed?
Luke
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 09:33 PM

Its a little more involved than just faster speeds. Without any amount of engine work done, these little things are absolute torque monsters and require the strongest built parts. You need a good heavy duty carrier and especially a ring gear. You also need a hardened top shaft to handle the torque from the driveline.  

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks