Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

18 HP Vanguard no spark....wiring issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 07:57 PM

Have a low hour 18 twin Vanguard out of a White GT-1855 in my Bolens H-16. Got the wiring swapped over, (It ran great in the White!), and now it has ZERO spark! Has two coils, neither has spark all of a sudden. Could it be wired incorrectly? It has a six-post keyswitch, with 5 taken up by the main plug, and 1 left over. There is a pair of yellow wires, (That go into same connector). One runs to the coil ground diverter thingy, and the other best as I can tell runs to a now bypassed (Looped) safety. I went to connect this to the last availble post, with the key on, and second it touched it sparked and shocked the hell out of me! What am I doing wrong???? Also, I read something about diodes going bad?

Edited by Diesel1050, July 02, 2016 - 08:21 PM.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Lots of little things need to be hooked up right on these new engines. How about oil sender sensor and a wire for that?  Carb fuel shut-off selinoid?  Did other tractor have a little black box in circuits?  Seems there is a spark control relay there too if I recall, maybe thinking Kohler on that, not sure. All these little sensors have to get correct signals and relay together or to a puter box to make correct circuits to run.  I would find electical diagram from the white and compare to yours and see if things needed or can be bypassed to run.

#3 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 11:27 AM

Fuel shutoff is fine, no oil shutoff.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 12:36 PM

I would remove the kill wire from the coils and check for spark.