• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:14 AM

I have a wiring diagram for our Gilson and it says I need an insulated bolt to hold the starter solenoid onto the frame.

It also uses an insulated washer to isolate a wire from ground that is attached at the solenoid.

The wire is connected to a spring (switch) and completes a circuit when the brake pedal is depressed so the GT will start.

The book only shows 1 nylon bolt, but I think I need 2 in order to actually isolate the solenoid from ground.

Anyone shed any light in this?

Thanks!

Ken

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Those need to be grounded on anything I've worked on.  Hmmm! Must be some sort of cheaper safety switch idea then?? New one for me. Try jump wiring a test lead and ground it, maybe that will bypass the switch. Unless you wanted that one. If it is on pedal, at times I like to have those work, for Wife and grandkids to learn to use. My Ace has lots of nylon and other bolts/nuts, check out yours if one around. Those little cardboard drawers of hardware, that cost 3 times the regular price! BUT, nice they have the odd stuff.

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Gilson Always had some really goofy wiring.My old 16 hydro tractor had a 2 position headlight switch.1 position for "While running" and 1 position for "while not running" If you flipped it to the "while not running" position it would shut the tractor off like you turned off the ignition switch.

Your gilson is an older model than the one I had so I have no idea how the wiring is on it.

#4 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 02:43 PM

Gilson Always had some really goofy wiring.My old 16 hydro tractor had a 2 position headlight switch.1 position for "While running" and 1 position for "while not running" If you flipped it to the "while not running" position it would shut the tractor off like you turned off the ignition switch.

Your gilson is an older model than the one I had so I have no idea how the wiring is on it.

That is because the lights run off 12DC when the engine off, but they run off 12AC when the engine is running.  That is also why the lights vary in brightness when running, the AC voltage is a function of RPM.  The Briggs engine Gilson used in the direct start models has a two leg alternator, with only one leg rectified to charge the battery.  The rectified leg does not produce enough amperage to run lights.

The solenoid in question needs to be insulated to make the safety work.  Power to the crank wire is supplied from the switch to the solenoid, but the solenoid won't engage unless grounded by the clutch and PTO safety switches, which are just simple grounding springs.  This system is a cheap way to keep from using more expensive switches and complicated wiring.  You can just ground the solenoid if you don't care about the safeties working.

• Alc and KC9KAS have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 04:11 PM

That is because the lights run off 12DC when the engine off, but they run off 12AC when the engine is running.  That is also why the lights vary in brightness when running, the AC voltage is a function of RPM.  The Briggs engine Gilson used in the direct start models has a two leg alternator, with only one leg rectified to charge the battery.  The rectified leg does not produce enough amperage to run lights.

No no I mean it will shut the engine down if you switch it down into the bottom position.It's a goofy switch with 2 connectors on it.1 2 leg and 1 4 leg connector.

Here from the Gilson H16 Manual.

Gilson.jpg

Like I said they had some really strange wiring on alot of the older the Gilson/Wards tractors that you don't see on Any other tractor.

#6 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 06:33 PM

No no I mean it will shut the engine down if you switch it down into the bottom position.It's a goofy switch with 2 connectors on it.1 2 leg and 1 4 leg connector.

Here from the Gilson H16 Manual.

attachicon.gifGilson.jpg

Like I said they had some really strange wiring on alot of the older the Gilson/Wards tractors that you don't see on Any other tractor.

It shuts the engine down because flipping the switch the wrong way with the engine running would feed unrectified AC current into the DC charging system.  I know they do shut the engine off, I have two MW 16 direct start tractors.  Gilsons with a starter/generator have conventional lighting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: s-14 h