Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Came home from last weeks auction and all this was sitting in the yard.  Buddy was doing a lil yard cleanup and made a donation.  The trailer has 6 chainsaws,  4 gas Homelites and 2 electrics.  His dad used to run the city dump so I suppose they are just dump finds but I'm OK with that.   Yard sweeper has a hole in the bag but still works. 

Crapsman has the optional two-piece crankshaft Intek.    :(   He had changed the engine a couple of times already and says he was done putting money into it.  I told him when he bought it that was a mistake.    Originally had a 26 horse [yeah right] now has a 20 horse.  Nice looking tractor.  The plastic hood doesn't even have any cracks.

Ex neighbor [now deceased] had one of those and I was always working on that junker.  Finally told the neighbor I wasn't wasting any more time on it.  Decent tractor, by todays standards, but the engines were total junk. 

Thought about trying to find an different flavor engine for this one since the tractor is in such good shape but I'd still just have a modern Crapsman.  It'll probably sit out back with weeds growing up around it.

Crapsman.jpg

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:28 AM

A lot of those Intek engines were put in tractors to keep the price down.  I picked up a Cub LT1810 this spring.  Engine was blown as usual but for $25 what the heck.  Got a opposed B&S Twin II 18hp from a friend and put it in.  Have put about 15 hours on it so far and it runs like a top.  Made a food tractor out of it.  Round up one of the older Briggs still in decent shape and drop that in it and be good to go for a while.  At least your engine problems are behind you.  Make a good one to fip and pick up some extra cash.

• Gtractor and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Two piece cranks? Intek, heard of, but not familiar with what they are.  Heck, take this one if running up to the fella with JD by the station in weeds and trade him!  He'll have a mower, for awhile anyway, and you'll have the nice JD!

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Two piece cranks? Intek, heard of, but not familiar with what they are.  Heck, take this one if running up to the fella with JD by the station in weeds and trade him!  He'll have a mower, for awhile anyway, and you'll have the nice JD!

Didn't know there was such a thing as a nice JD:poke:   :rolling:

• Gtractor, LilysDad, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 12:47 PM

The Kohler version was a decent piece.

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I had one just like it, B&S 26 h.p. ELS. put a Johnny Bucket on it and used it like a bulldozer for over a year. All I ever did was tune it up and adjust the valves when I first brought it home after it sat out for over a year. The steering is the weak point, but overall not a bad tractor.image.jpeg image.jpeg
  • Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#7 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 11:48 PM

Briggs offered different models from the low end Intek on up thru higher end models. I don't like the Inteks at all. But Briggs competition done the same thing. The Kohler Courage is the low end Junk model for them. If I see a Courage or Intek in a mower...no matter how cheap,I keep moving.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, July 09, 2016 - 11:48 PM.

• Gtractor, Sawdust and toppop52 have said thanks

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:30 AM

Briggs offered different models from the low end Intek on up thru higher end models. I don't like the Inteks at all. But Briggs competition done the same thing. The Kohler Courage is the low end Junk model for them. If I see a Courage or Intek in a mower...no matter how cheap,I keep moving.

And I agree, but my Simplicity built Craftsman ZTR has 20 h.p. Courage, and is 11 years old and running well. I keep the oil and filter changed, but so far, so good.

• rustyoldjunk and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 11:18 AM

I think you missed the point GL.

When I turn the pulley on the bottom of the engine,  the flywheel doesn't move.  :(

• rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:14 PM

I think you missed the point GL.

When I turn the pulley on the bottom of the engine,  the flywheel doesn't move.  :(

Aha! That is a rare option!

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:01 PM

OK, two piece, went right over my head, DUH!  Just a new term hadn't heard that one before, heh!

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:34 PM

I been trying to tell you people for years.  I'm more than just a pretty face - I'm clever too!.  :D

• KennyP, Sawdust and toppop52 have said thanks

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Just talked to the guy that gave me this mower this morning.  He said the engine was good [recently replaced] and that it has "pulley problems".  I know when I turned the crank pulley the flywheel didn't move. 

HMMMMM,

Pulley must be lose on crankshaft.  ???   He said something about his BIL had just been released from his most recent incarceration :(  and "started whacking [or did he say cutting?] on the pulley".   My friend was so mad he gave up on the mower.  Said it has always been a POS anyhow.

I need to do some more checking......

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 03:33 PM

Two-piece crank maybe?

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 10:05 PM

Well, duh~~~~  There is an electric clutch on the crank.  No wonder the flywheel didn't turn.  :deadhorse:

Put a battery in and it fired right up by spraying [flammable] carb cleaner in the carb.  Gas smells awful.  It tries to run on its own gas but stumbles and eventually dies. 

Engine runs on both cylinders 'cause I shot the exhaust pipes with the laser temp gauge,  but wholly crap it vibrates! 

Too hot to mess with it out in the driveway so that's as far as I went.

I'd like to find someone that thinks Crapsman is a "name brand" and therefore worthy of owning.   I'd let them waste their time on it.

:wallbanging: