• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pastorsteve OFFLINE  

Pastorsteve
  • Member No: 83724
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 02:46 PM

I am brand new here. I was given a JD300 tractor. It runs fine but doesn't move. previous owner was tilling when it "let go" and seemed engine was no longer under load and hydrostatic and hydraulics quit. Driveline from engine to pump is intact. It was the first use of the spring....should I try fluid and filter first? Thanks for any help.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Check the free wheeling valve. It may have jumped into neutral. Or a key on the axle broke , if it has this.

Welcome to the site. More guys with more experience will answer soon.

Noel
  • backwoods and Pastorsteve have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:11 PM

There is mechanical fault, no fluid or filter just let's go.  Most hydros have  a release valve, maybe two that get pressed somehow to be able to push them  when not running. I don't know where on your model, but someone will say.  OR, as noted above, a key or connection sheared. Maybe the drive shaft is turning, looking norm, yet the shaft it is connected to on the hydro pump does not move ???  Take a real close look with a light while running. I bet it is something simple, not a major problem, just have to look around.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Pastorsteve have said thanks

#4 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 344 Thanks
  • 394 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 10:23 PM

Sheared shaft at hydro pump?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
  • Pastorsteve said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 11:35 PM

Sheared shaft at hydro pump?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Or sheared charge pump pin, but usually even with a busted charge pump, you get some hydro whining, and slight movement.  So could have sheared the shaft itself.  Easy to see if the shaft is sheared, as the shaft goes out the back of the hydro unit.  Check to see if the rear of shaft turns.  Hoping it's something simpler.

• Pastorsteve said thank you

#6 Pastorsteve OFFLINE  

Pastorsteve
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 04:58 AM

Thanks guys for your help. If I turn the rear pto pulley it is connected all the way through to the engine. Am I missing something here? It appears to be low on fluid and I noticed a hose barb on the top of the diff that has a piece of rubber hose sheared off but cant tell what this is or where it went....maybe to a sight glass as it seems to be missing.

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I saw your post on another forum and responded there.  I will get the service manual info now that I have your serial number from that post.  

The drive setup on your 300 is as follows:

engine-l----l-pump----PTO

There is a shaft that connects the engine directly with the pump and the pTO.  If you turn the PTO it SHOULD turn the engine.  There are small nylon discs as a way to isolate each section of the assembly.  

Edited by Trav1s, July 02, 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:38 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 09:48 AM

Thanks guys for your help. If I turn the rear pto pulley it is connected all the way through to the engine. Am I missing something here? It appears to be low on fluid and I noticed a hose barb on the top of the diff that has a piece of rubber hose sheared off but cant tell what this is or where it went....maybe to a sight glass as it seems to be missing.

You are right on both counts.  The rear pto pulley has a shaft that goes into the output (fan) end of the hydro, which connects to the engine through the input shaft.   If you turn the rear pulley and the engine turns over it is probably not mechanical.

The sheared hose sounds like the problem.  It goes between the hose barb on top of the diff (upper left side) and the very bottom of the diff to another hose barb.  It should be a clear hose that acts as a sight glass for the later model 300s, there should be a 2" vertical slot on the left side of the end plate rear of tractor where the tubing would rest in, where you would view the fluid level.  Earlier models had a dipstick on the right side of the rear diff so didn't need a clear hose to see.  Later models had a pipe filler cap so needed the clear tubing.

Anyway if that hose broke most of your hydro fluid would leak out the bottom of the diff.  Look underneath for a spill.  It is hard to see the lower hose barb with the closed frame of that model, you may need to feel around.   Jacking up the rear end can help to see.

Also there is a hydro release knob on the fender pan under the middle of the seat.  If you can't push the tractor by hand then it is in "run" mode and is working fine.  If you need to push or tow the tractor a short distance to fix, try screwing the big knob all the way in, it should release the hydro valves so it will roll on its own but won't roll under engine power until you screw the knob back out, good luck

#10 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 10:20 AM

Here is service manual info.  You can dwnload them which I suggest.  Mods, remove if you see fit.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Trav1s, July 02, 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#11 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 10:22 AM

Here is the axle assembly removed from the tractor.  First pic shows what I believe you are referencing - that is used to measure the level of fluid.  It should be connected to the little elbow on top.

Second pic shows the pump input shaft that twisted off due to bad motor mounts.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Trav1s, July 02, 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#12 Pastorsteve OFFLINE  

Pastorsteve
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Travis what a great help! Thanks so much. Yes the hose is missing so I guess that means a good bit of hydro fluid is gone to like Oldford said. Could this be the problem as all the driveline seems connected?

#13 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 03:34 PM

Yes that could be and likely is it. 

Got your sermon done?  This thread keeps distracting me today.  :smilewink:

Edited by Trav1s, July 02, 2016 - 03:35 PM.

#14 Pastorsteve OFFLINE  

Pastorsteve
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Travis- I'm going to replace that hose, the fluid and filter on Monday and see what happens. Luckily one of the other pastors on our staff is speaking tomorrow so I can fool with this tractor. Thanks again for all the pics.
  • olcowhand and Trav1s have said thanks

#15 Pastorsteve OFFLINE  

Pastorsteve
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Travis et all- the hose on the back which is the fluid level sight hose was missing meaning it drained most of the hydraulic fluid and was still being used. Replaced the hose the fluid and filter and fired it up. None of the hydraulics or tranny are working and It turns out the rear pto shaft is not turning with the engine running. After running for a couple minutes the front yoke on the hydraulic pump was very hot. It made a little bit of grinding when I shut it off. Does it sound like a pin inside the pump is sheared or maybe the entire pump is trash? Wondering where I go from here? Thanks guys.