• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 10:54 AM

About two years ago I bought a right angle grinder just so I could keep a grinder disc on one & a cutting disc on the other. I was reluctant because being a contractor I never buy cheap tools but went out of my box to try this grinder. My go to grinder is a 27 year old Black & Decker Pro series...still works like new.

I took the HF grinder back today to get an exchange. The girl says it's only warranted 90 days since I never bought the extended warranty which is good for two years. She said if I bought the warranty today she would give me a new one. So I bought the warranty for $1.24. She said they would replace for 90 days then the extended warranty kicks in for up to two years. She also said as long as it's within the two years I could get a new one even if it's dirty or I'm tired of looking at it. Happy, happy, happy.

Edited by Sawdust, July 01, 2016 - 11:12 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 11:47 AM

I've been using HF since 1988 when I needed a 1" socket set and up to 2 1/2" wrenches. I've had a few problems with damage in shipping and incorrect shipping. They always made good and threw in some compensation for my lost time. I believe in using good quality tools for work but for hobby I do skimp. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 02:20 PM

I've been using HF since 1988 when I needed a 1" socket set and up to 2 1/2" wrenches. I've had a few problems with damage in shipping and incorrect shipping. They always made good and threw in some compensation for my lost time. I believe in using good quality tools for work but for hobby I do skimp. Good Luck, Rick

I agree.  I bought a ¾" socket/ratchet/breaker bar set from HF years ago.  I just needed one socket, but the entire set from HF was cheaper than the single socket from my local parts place.  It's come in handy over the years.  I have no problem with HF for specialty tools I rarely use.  For my every day wrenching stuff, I have my nice tools.  I have a lot of tools from HF I normally wouldn't have bought because of price. Having a HF store close to me has been nice as well.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 03:35 PM

I've been happy with most of what I bought there, I go in knowing what I'm getting.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 03:50 PM

My SILs brother was traveling from NJ down to Virginia to build a deck on his house. Instead of hauling all of his carpenter tools, he just went to HF in Virginia and bought them.

• KennyP, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 03:53 PM

I use a few HF tools. I know they are not of the 'upper class' quality, but have had only a few issues with them.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and toppop52 have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 04:50 PM

Craftsman tools were the tools most of us used growing up, that could not afford snap-on or something like that.  Sears and Craftsman were always considered quality tools.  Go into to Sears today and look at their tools, the majority are made in China and you don't get the same type warranty that you did when I was growing up.  Two years ago I took a Craftsmen Ratchet in for a replacement, that I had since I was a kid that.  I had to wait for 2 weeks for them to determine if It was under warranty.  HF has the same warranty on their hand tools, I put one of their allen sockets on the end of pneumatic impact driver to take off a passenger bracket and broke the socket in half.  Next day the wife went into town and show the lady the broken socket and the lady replaced it on the spot. I have had other things break or not work right and never had any problems getting it either replaced or what ever I needed to make it right.  

I've got a couple of there angle grinders and have used them for several years now with out any problem except the one I cut the cord in two.  :(  OOPs!  Not all their tools hold up but for the most part I'm happy with them and in a lot of cases their stuff isn't any worse then you find in other more expensive stores.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, a co-worker works P/T @ Sears and the ratchets get a good look over before they just give you another one..  If it shows signs of abuse or cheater-bar marks you ain't gonna get another..  I gave him a 30 YO extended 3/8" drive that the gears stripped out on to see if he could get it fixed..  They didn't make the parts or that ratchet anymore so I got a new one..  The new one looks a lot weaker-built than the original I sent in..  

So back to the topic here:

HARBOR FREIGHT = MAN HEAVEN!! 

I always find myself grabbing up all kinds of tools or gadgets that I would otherwise not buy at all..  Arghh arghhh arghhh..

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:04 PM

My latest purchase was their ratchet end wrenches at $20. a set can't be beat & have used them a lot...very happy. The Craftsman's were around $70.
  • TheFarm2004 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:55 PM

Going to HF Wednesday.  the store is about 85 miles from home so a multi purpose trip.  Plan to get 4 of their 12 X 18 moving dollies.  Have a coupon to get them at $7.99 each.  Stopping by Menard's as they have the same thing for $15 and try for a price match and watch them laugh.  Have several HF tools and like the rest occasional issue but nothing they would not take care of.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Have several HF tools, I have 2 of their tool sets, one in the truck, and one for home.

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 11:30 PM

I use a ton of HF tools and have never busted one of their sockets or wrenches yet, and I've put them through a lot.  If I had to buy all higher quality tools, I'm afraid my war-chest of tools would look more like a "skirmish" of tools, as I couldn't have afforded much.  To many, I still don't have all that much, but I have plenty.  I have had bad luck with many electrical things from them, so I stay clear of them now, and stick with brand name for electrical goods.  I love going to HF and just did last weekend.  

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 07:25 AM

I'm pretty rough on tools so the HF stuff doesn't hold up very well. All of there screwdrivers suck, I seem to be able to always break the tips off or twist the handles off

• Sawdust said thank you