16 replies to this topic

#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,499 Thanks
  • 6,370 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yeah that ball is not threaded and rod is welded couple of spots, carefully so as not to hit the outer case or warp them.  I have gotten those balls off Stiener Tractor I think or maybe Valu-bilt/Farm and Country catalogs. The have a few sizes. I once made the main arms with those and metal flat stock. I curve cut ends of flat-stock to fit the ball outside and had a good welder put them on. I was afraid to try as you can burn thru thin sides and warp outers so ball won't swivel correct. The same ball end is used in the upper lift links. I just used a rectangular tube to make mine. Think got thicker 1/4" stock ones, seems 2 x 4" and bored and welded a nut on the outside of the smaller side, then cut off the whole other side and it is then U-shaped, yet deep enough. Drill the lower ends for the pins needed and the nut is 1/2 or maybe was 5/8" actually to fit rod  and that is where lift comes in. Never did make good handles on them, just tacked on a nut at top to put a socket on. Not as quick to adjust as a knob, but worked. OH, also had that same weld shop weld on those side pins again to keep from warping the balls if I did them. The hardest part of the system was bending the flat stock that bumps out and holds the other side pin being bent right to come out like the orig. I had an orig hitch off another tractor that I was copying, so took one off and had metal shop bend them the same. Seemed to work for me. I used to have pictures of the hitch I made, almost like orig, but no idea where they would be now or would post them. 

• Alc, Genem and MNGB have said thanks

#17 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8169
  • 441 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:21 AM

That makes sense. Thank you very much for that info Gentlemen. . Should be no problem making a new set now. I am a fabricator by trade and have access to anything I may need.

Edited by BowlBuilder, July 02, 2016 - 08:29 AM.