• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 05:27 PM

"I had thought of low fuel pressure too, was going to change filter, but it's only a sock inside the tank :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: :mad2:  :mad2:  "/quote

No, the sock inside the tank is only that. the pressure regulator is the silver can on top of the pump unit where the line plugs in.

that part is available  seperately. from the dealer or parts store it is close to the same price as the pump,

there is a place out of California that I have gotten the filter/regulator from for around $30 from Ebay....

they ship pretty quick too.

Edited by dodge trucker, July 06, 2016 - 05:40 PM.

• TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Well Marty I was going to say you gave me some bad luck. Our GC had no power to the drivers door panel...broken wire had to splice. My son called & said his Dodge Ram 1500 was running like crap & was hard to start. I ran a code search...0304 mis fire on #4 cylinder. I done a complete tune up including plug wires & it runs great. Oh I forgot I had to replace his radiator yesterday which wasn't bad at all.

I said all that to try & make you feel better. Have you tuned yours up lately.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#18 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 09:45 PM

Our Plymouth Voyager(95) died on the way to my sister on my parents, won't go into detail on the madness that followed, as of right now it's stuck in Springfield, MA, shop there says ECM is bad and can't be fixed, says you can't repair the ECM, gonna  rent a Uhaul trailer and hal it home at some point using my truck.

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 09:48 PM

I'd check fuel pressure. And you should have a filter on the side of the frame towards the back of the Cherokee. Borrow a Fluke meter and start checking components. Codes only get you so far. I never change parts based only on a fault code.

I had an 88 Cherokee. Loved it. Wish I still had it. Does yours have a common rail with a schrader valve at the end of it? If so, turn the switch on and let the pump build up pressure, then depress the valve and bleed the fuel system. Mine would misbehave at random and a quick bleed took care of it.

Good luck.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 05:34 AM

Here's the engine wiring diagram ,  it seems you have multiple codes that came up . Do you keep track of them and clear them each time to see which ones came back ?   The hard part of this as you know is that it works good for a while then doesn't ,  if your getting the same sensor codes each time look at the print to see if the 5v reference and or grounds are common to those . We've had  sensors that short out , wires shorted , rubbed together  and cause all sorts of codes for those on that circuit .   Good luck   

Attached Files

• DougT, TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:02 AM

I'd check fuel pressure. And you should have a filter on the side of the frame towards the back of the Cherokee. Borrow a Fluke meter and start checking components. Codes only get you so far. I never change parts based only on a fault code.

I had an 88 Cherokee. Loved it. Wish I still had it. Does yours have a common rail with a schrader valve at the end of it? If so, turn the switch on and let the pump build up pressure, then depress the valve and bleed the fuel system. Mine would misbehave at random and a quick bleed took care of it.

Good luck.

no, no filter on one as new as the OP has, they did away with them by then.  I think the GC's may have had them but not the XJ (square body) series. I know that neither my 97 or my 01 Cherokee did, neither does my 97 Wrangler.

they tend to bleed themselves, a crank or 2 of the key and they are self bleeding,   like a brake system they are under pressure, but unlike brake hydraulics, are designed to "leak" when the injectors open....

• TAHOE said thank you

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:52 AM

It's been running this "okay" week, still cranks 6-10 times before starting though which I don't like.

Then the boy texted me yesterday and it was losing power on him. He would hit the gas and it would just start cutting out then all of a sudden grab and go again. Did it for a few mins then back to normal. It's puzzling cause it runs great over 1000 rpm, just the hard starts and a rough idle( at least rough to me) and now the stalling.

Still need to get codes currently stored, engine light is on, haven't been able to get my buddy's scanner.

Edited by TAHOE, July 07, 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:54 AM

. Have you tuned yours up lately.

new copper plugs

new coil rail

new crank and cam position sensor

new upgraded 4 hole fuel injectors.

new O2 sensors.

pulled IAC out and cleaned plunger

sprayed out throttle bottle with cleaner

Not sure how much more of a tune up I can do.

• Sawdust said thank you

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Our Plymouth Voyager(95) died on the way to my sister on my parents, won't go into detail on the madness that followed, as of right now it's stuck in Springfield, MA, shop there says ECM is bad and can't be fixed, says you can't repair the ECM, gonna  rent a Uhaul trailer and hal it home at some point using my truck.

I've found several places that rebuild/reprogram the ECM for the Jeeps, not sure why there isn't anyone to do it for your van. Gotta be someone out here that does it or maybe have to find a 95 in a junkyard and pull computer.

• adamjd200 said thank you

#25 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:42 AM

Much more after market support for Jeep 4.0s than there ever will be for a minivan.  People try to get all the power they can out of the jeep 4.0 for off road use.

• TAHOE said thank you

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Much more after market support for Jeep 4.0s than there ever will be for a minivan.  People try to get all the power they can out of the jeep 4.0 for off road use.

Yea, they have a stoker kit for the 4.0, muwahahahaha.  My son keeps talking smack about doing a 4BT diesel swap.

• toomanytoys84 and Diesel1050 have said thanks

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Yea, they have a stoker kit for the 4.0, muwahahahaha. My son keeps talking smack about doing a 4BT diesel swap.

Diesel swap would be the ticket!

A lot of guys I work with are into keeps. I've seen 4.2, 4.6 and 4.7 strokers done. Small block swaps and everything else.

The most impressive is the 4.7. He had a lot of cash but had dyni sheets to prove over 300hp at the wheels. Sounded mean...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • TAHOE and Diesel1050 have said thanks

#28 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:55 AM

I've found several places that rebuild/reprogram the ECM for the Jeeps, not sure why there isn't anyone to do it for your van. Gotta be someone out here that does it or maybe have to find a 95 in a junkyard and pull computer.

I think it's more this guy is "brainwashed" into the just scrap it and buy another mentality(it's at a big name car care center). 

• TAHOE said thank you

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Diesel swap would be the ticket!

A lot of guys I work with are into keeps. I've seen 4.2, 4.6 and 4.7 strokers done. Small block swaps and everything else.

The most impressive is the 4.7. He had a lot of cash but had dyni sheets to prove over 300hp at the wheels. Sounded mean...

Yea, it would be. He's dreaming big, starts college this fall and only working part time.

He gets the joy of buying his own new tires for it tomorrow, one of the adult lessons he gets to learn!

• Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#30 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yea, it would be. He's dreaming big, starts college this fall and only working part time.
He gets the joy of buying his own new tires for it tomorrow, one of the adult lessons he gets to learn!

Didn't we all dream big at one time? Then life punches you a few times then you settle down...

I don't even care about my vehicle anymore. I still like a nice car or truck but if it's reliable and practical for my needs its good enough.

• TAHOE said thank you