8 replies to this topic

#1 John Sancho OFFLINE  

John Sancho
  • Member No: 83721
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hello all, this is my first post!

I'm having an issue with my John Deere X300 riding mower.  The spark plugs are constantly fouling (black carbon deposits on them) after a few uses. From what I've read, this means the carburetor is running hot. I've tried switching to a higher temperature rated spark plug, but it still happens.  I looked in the user manual, but it says that the carburetor can't be adjusted and would need to be serviced at a local dealer.  Since my dealer is a long ways away and I don't have a trailer to haul it in, I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly adjust the carburetor. I can't find a technical service manual for free online, and I'm not really sure where the adjusting screws are.

I would be very grateful for any help!

Thanks,

John

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 06:39 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  You probably will not find a free service manual on line. JD will send a lawyer letter if they find free manuals online.  They have to make the $$$ to pay for the CEO's billion dollar mansion some how.  

I'm sure the JD guys will be along before long to advise you.  Adjusting the carburetor is not hard but I'm not familiar with the JD X series so I'll let those more experience with the mower advise you.  

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Hello all, this is my first post!

I'm having an issue with my John Deere X300 riding mower.  The spark plugs are constantly fouling (black carbon deposits on them) after a few uses. From what I've read, this means the carburetor is running hot. I've tried switching to a higher temperature rated spark plug, but it still happens.  I looked in the user manual, but it says that the carburetor can't be adjusted and would need to be serviced at a local dealer.  Since my dealer is a long ways away and I don't have a trailer to haul it in, I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly adjust the carburetor. I can't find a technical service manual for free online, and I'm not really sure where the adjusting screws are.

I would be very grateful for any help!

Thanks,

John

Not sure where you got your information, but carbs cant run hot or cold to avoid confusion we will use the terms lean or rich. What you described is a "rich condition" the black soot is from to much fuel. Do not try and compensate with a hotter spark plug unless you would like to burn up your piston. By doing that your not fixing the problem anyway. I agree that you have a carb issue but it may not be an adjustment , many times there are o-rings inside that can fail and cause that, but with out a diagram I would only be guessing.

• Bolens 1000, Trav1s and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I am no professional carburetor person but I would try cleaning the carburetor first thing.  if it is to rich the fuel -air mixture is not correct so the small air passages may be some what blocked.

They have to make the $$$ to pay for the CEO's billion dollar mansion some how. That is a good one I like it

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:22 AM

What is your model and spec number of this engine?

With these newer carbs having to be epa complainant they are not as forgiving as the older carbs if you get a tiny spec of dirt in them, may just need a cleaning and rebuild kit

• jms180 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Welcome to GTT. See if you can find the engine manual in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 01:35 PM

I'd also say it is running rich - better that on an air cooled engine than lean.  Engine serial and spec would be helpful along with tractor serial number.  Deere is good with rolling changes along the production run.

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Air filter dirty? Does it run reasonable.? Lack of power. ? Probably no adjustments on the carb. Dirty fuel filter ?

Noel

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 04:47 PM

Air filter dirty? Does it run reasonable.? Lack of power. ? Probably no adjustments on the carb. Dirty fuel filter ?

Noel

As should be address with any issues but often we forget to mention (good catch). Always start with good fresh gas and a clean air filter. A clogged air filter can cause a rich condition. 

• jms180 and propane1 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: x300, carburetor, spark plug, hot