• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • Member No: 83224
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Back in March, we had some severe wind storms move through our area. In the process, the winds uprooted a 60 year old pine in my backyard, which made me call a tree service. Well, being that the part of the yard where the tree fell had more weeds and creeping charlie than there was grass, and then you add the very deep ruts from the tree service trucks, that part of the yard needed to be tilled. After it was tilled over a period of three weeks, I borrowed a neighbors 9 point harrow and proceeded to rework the soil and ready it for reseeding. Somewhere between the harrowing and pulling out an already exposed 9 foot long root ( I was pulling it by the 3" thick cut end), I tore the trans mounts and didn't know it until the past week when she quit moving while I was cutting grass. When I noticed the drive belt off, that's when I also noticed the canted trans and torn mounts.  So I've posted photos of MY upgrade and setup for the future K66 trans upgrade. It took me 5 days from tear down to running again. That time included removal, measuring, sketching, drawing up the plans, gathering the materials; cutting drilling and mounting. I can guarantee that you will not see a stronger setup anywhere. You will notice that I also posted pics of the decimated mounts before and after removal.  One more thing. As yo look at your trans mount, you'll notice that just the bolts go through the axle mounts. Nothing else is in place to equalize the torque or pressure in that area. So if you look closely at the photo of the right rear, you'll notice the plate I made under the axle end to trap the axle assembly between this plate and the trans mount for added stability and strength. 

LEFT Mount 2016.jpg NEW LEFT MOUNT 2016.jpg NEW MOUNTS HIGH AND TIGHT.jpg NEW RIGHT MOUNT 2016. jpg.jpg Right Axle and Mount.jpg RIGHT Mount 2016.jpg  20160627_204005.jpg 20160628_112726.jpg

Edited by Charles G. Van De Sampel, June 30, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• Gtractor, coldone, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Excellent upgrade.
Should be stronger than the rear end now.

What year is that one? Must be post electrolux

#3 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Purchased new in April of 2012

• MH81 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 10:22 PM

Yep, same as the 12 Craftsman we use.
Has it started leaking from the charge pump yet?
Keep an eye on that, it'll lose its oil a drop at a time. Only fix is the upgrade cover.

#5 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 01:41 AM

Getting ready to order the K66xx upgrade from RJR Tractors even though I just had the trans replaced last year.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 02:31 AM

Getting ready to order the K66xx upgrade from RJR Tractors even though I just had the trans replaced last year.

Ah, so that's a yes. LOL
Seems to be very common with these.
Nice not to have to worry about filling the thing up again, what a "B" to get the oil in there.

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Excellent upgrade and welcome to our 'upgraded' tractor forum.

#8 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 07:53 AM

I have noticed the sheet metal "frame" on Craftsman, John Deere, Cub Cadet and (now) Husqvarna, and wondered just how strong they might be. Happy that your destructive "testing" came out well.
I wonder if anyone's ever re- done the entire frame of one of these with stronger pieces?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#9 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 11:50 PM

Actually Chucktin, this is what they call the MTD "TEXAS" slant back frame from what I was told some time back. After going over it and comparing it to an older GT I have out back, this frames steel is thicker,and since it's welded in the critical areas, more rigid. The other MTD chassis is flat across the back and bolted throughout and looks built for light duty like my 1996 Craftsman 42". From what I have seen, the "TEXAS"  is about as tough as it gets. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission