Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to ID old Ford by a seller's description...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 10:08 PM

I got a call from a relative who lives about four hours from me. He said he's got an old Ford garden tractor I can have if I come get it. He's well into his 80's and his memory isn't all that great sometimes but when I tried to get a few details from him about it the few things he said he knew for sure is that the hood is white, its got a rear rototiller and a 60" deck, it uses 12" 5 lug rear wheels, and its got a 12hp Kohler with a manual transmission and shifter. He also said it takes a larger car size battery, and that the motor drives the transmission via a driveshaft, not a belt. It was bought used in 1980 from a Ford tractor dealer and at that point he had to hunt down a good used deck for it because the original deck was too far gone. He said the Kohler motor's air cleaner cover sticks out past the hood on the side, so that tells me the crank runs front to back. 

He says the seat pan has two pads, one on the back, one on the bottom, (not a molded one piece type seat). The seat is made from heavy steel. He says the fenders are separate, and that its not a one piece fender pan as on most later GT's.

He said that the hood opens, but only the front part of the hood opens??? The battery is under the hood as is the fuel fill.

He also said that the FORD script is red with a blue outline, on a white hood. He bought a pair of these, apparently there's also a well worn one there too. He's selling the place and moving to someplace easier to keep up, so he wants me to come get all the tractors and all his cars and trucks that he's got stored in the barn.

I've owned 70's model LGT's (LGT165 and LGT 125),  but this sounds different. I've had both closed and open hood models but none had white hoods or a full size battery under the hood. Any ideas as to what it may be judging by the description? I know he used to mow 20 or more acres, so the 60" deck is a given for anything he ever owned but the white hood and angular fenders don't go with the shaft drive and 60" deck part.

I'm not that familiar with the older Ford models, but what he's describing more sounds like an old Gilson than an old Ford or Jake.

Where there older Gilson built Fords?

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 03:58 AM

Where there older Gilson built Fords?

Gilson made tractors that were "badged" as Montgomery Wards and Ford.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 05:03 AM

I thought the models the had a driveshaft started in 1972 and this sounds like a 120 which was available. Someone could have painted the hood white.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 06:34 AM

Get it, take pics and post them. Then we can figure it out. I'd be more interested in what the cars are. Good Luck, Rick

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 08:54 AM

Go get 'em!

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 636 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Sure sounds like an LGT120, except for the hood and fenders thing.....and that sounds like an earlier Ford 120, but not sure if they ever came with a white hood. Could he be a bit mistaken with the hood and fenders, being 80 and all? Maybe there is one of each and he is getting them mixed up. 

#7 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:36 AM

For a guy whose memory isn't too good sometimes it seems to me your relative did pretty dam* good if he remembered all that stuff. I hope I can do as well if I make it to the 80's. Oh,sorry, don't know anything about Fords unless you are talking Taurus.

#8 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 01:13 PM

His memory seems pretty good but he's been blind for 10 years now. He's pretty much house bound and no one there is capable of going out to the barn and giving me a pic or any numbers. What it boils down to is that I'm looking at making several trips with a big truck and a car trailer. My Hyundai isn't going to haul what may be a 1000 lb tractor at highway speeds on a 3 to 4 hr trip.

A few things that don't match the 120 model is that he insists its shaft drive, and that only the front part of the hood opens, and that it takes a full size car battery under the hood. All of the 120 models I've seen have had white hoods and the seat description he gave matches the 120 as well.

He's got a huge property which would take several people three or four hours every week to mow with a GT, the Fords were the first tractors he bought there, he later moved onto compact tractors with finish mowers and a few Simplicity and Allis Chalmers GTs.

There's a few of them there I have to haul away too.

I'm sort of wondering if what he's got is even a GT or something larger, but he did specifically say its got a 12hp Kohler K301 because he remembers buying a new motor and a brand new deck for it from the dealer years ago not long before he parked it. He was never big on maintenance, and never had much patience with his cars or tractors, once something started to cost him money, it got parked and replaced. He Never got rid of anything, it just got parked in a barn or shed somewhere outback.

The 120 model doesn't look like something he would have bought for such a large property, and I doubt he would have bought something that old in 1980 from a dealer. He did all his dealing with the local Ford tractor dealer from day one there. Do any of the GT models have a partial hood that opens or use a full size car type battery under the hood? He said the battery is right up behind the grill.

#9 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:44 PM

(Not adding anything to the conversation)
Wow, what a history lesson this is. Learning a lot about different years/models just by reading your posts.
Lots of knowledge here!