14 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:14 PM

After I got all the crud off the tractor I drove it around for a while to get the oil good and warm in the hydro.  It seemed to work fairly well but the hydro lever had to be moved a ways in the direction you wanted to go before it would start to move.  Checked the Hydro oil and it just touched the end of the stick about 1/2".  Added12 oz of Lucas Hydraulic Booster and Stop Leak.  That stuff is so think it took 45 min. to get the 12 oz in.  Went back out for a good drive around again. Up/down grade, up the road and back (dirt road) and ran it for probably 1/2 hour.  Hydro control kept getting better all the time. When I stopped back at the shop, the tractor would start to move with the lever well before the first mark.  Same in reverse.  Could control it in both directions to a creeping speed.  Later I mowed with it for about 1/2 hour and it worked like a new tractor.  Hydro control was real sensitive like it should be.  1/8th inch of movement changed the speed respectively.  I would highly recommend adding that Lucas oil additive to any hydro unit.  You may just like the results.  Just make sure it is the hydraulic oil booster and stop leak.  That is stated right on the big label on the jug.

• DougT, Gtractor, coldone and 11 others have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for rhe follow up. Glad to hear ir seems to be working out for you.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 02:50 PM

Where can I get this stuff?

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 02:53 PM

Lucas products ALL seem to work really well

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 03:16 PM

Where can I get this stuff?

You can get it on line but the shipping might be high.  Google  " Lucas Oil Products " and there is a link to where you can find it in your area.  Lot of the Farm Supply stores carry it.  NAPA can get it overnight.  Good luck.

• Alc, KennyP, Utah Smitty and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 03:45 PM

I posted about Lucas hydraulic boost about a year ago, made a huge improvement on my Simplicity 4041 Pow'rMax, both hydro and loader improved dramatically.
  • MH81, Utah Smitty, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the follow up & glad it worked out for you.

Both Napa & TSC has it for around $30. a gallon.
  • Utah Smitty, toppop52 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 07:09 PM

I bought it at Auto Zone here, same deal, $30.
  • Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 06:05 AM

I had a plow truck once, and during one hard winter of use, I decided to do a pan drop and change fluid, not due to any particular problem, but just for "preventive maintenance" reasons, this truck had had its trans fluid changed regularly up til this point, about every 18-20K miles.  I decided to put some Lucas transmission stuff in it, just knowing that you don't get all the ATF out by doing a pan drop.  My thoughts were to replenish the additives that I was sure had been depleted. 

I should have just done a regular fluid and filter change, twice,  back to back. Would have been much cheaper than a transmission!

This was the 1st and only time that I ever tried anything from that company.  This transmission was working OK up until this point, and was fully warmed up when I dropped the pan,  I didn't realize how thick that crap was, it was literally thicker than molasses, I went to put ~8 ounces in, (basically amounted to 1 funnel-full)   I got about 1/2 of that in my trans and decided how ridiculous it was pouring something so thick into the trans, I had to "chase" it with trans fluid to help it flow thru the funnel.

I went for a ride after (remember I only got about 4 ounces in--maybe 6 at most--literally) went a whole 5 miles down the road and almost did not make it back home, the trans puked on me in grand fashion.... that was quite a late nite pulling that transmission out  after trying Lucas in it...... I decided "never again"....   I do know guys that swear by various products of theirs, but I won't be spending any more money on them. I think it coated and clogged the filter.

• toppop52 and chieffan have said thanks

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 11:17 AM

I had a plow truck once, and during one hard winter of use, I decided to do a pan drop and change fluid, not due to any particular problem, but just for "preventive maintenance" reasons, this truck had had its trans fluid changed regularly up til this point, about every 18-20K miles.  I decided to put some Lucas transmission stuff in it, just knowing that you don't get all the ATF out by doing a pan drop.  My thoughts were to replenish the additives that I was sure had been depleted. 

I should have just done a regular fluid and filter change, twice,  back to back. Would have been much cheaper than a transmission!

This was the 1st and only time that I ever tried anything from that company.  This transmission was working OK up until this point, and was fully warmed up when I dropped the pan,  I didn't realize how thick that crap was, it was literally thicker than molasses, I went to put ~8 ounces in, (basically amounted to 1 funnel-full)   I got about 1/2 of that in my trans and decided how ridiculous it was pouring something so thick into the trans, I had to "chase" it with trans fluid to help it flow thru the funnel.

I went for a ride after (remember I only got about 4 ounces in--maybe 6 at most--literally) went a whole 5 miles down the road and almost did not make it back home, the trans puked on me in grand fashion.... that was quite a late nite pulling that transmission out  after trying Lucas in it...... I decided "never again"....   I do know guys that swear by various products of theirs, but I won't be spending any more money on them. I think it coated and clogged the filter.

They make two additives, the thick is for old worn out stuff, the thin stuff in the smaller container is for late models. I run it in my wife's 2011 Ford Edge, it had a bad clunk on low speed downshifts, but the fluid was great, cleared it up almost instantly.

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 07:25 AM

Dodge Trucker, the Hydraulic Booster and Stop Leak is for all hydraulic systems.  If you put the wrong stuff in can't blame the product.  Yes it is thick and has to be added slow so the air can come back out.  May not have had enough fluid in the transmission to cause to to go.  Or it was ready to go and you didn't know it.  More transmissions tore up on plow truck than anything else.  Everything is "working OK" till it quits.  Just saying - - -.

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:40 AM

Dodge Trucker, the Hydraulic Booster and Stop Leak is for all hydraulic systems.  If you put the wrong stuff in can't blame the product.  Yes it is thick and has to be added slow so the air can come back out.  May not have had enough fluid in the transmission to cause to to go.  Or it was ready to go and you didn't know it.  More transmissions tore up on plow truck than anything else.  Everything is "working OK" till it quits.  Just saying - - -.

yeah I know, but I have overhauled a few of those myself over the years,  I know what's inside.

I used their transmission product, it claimed to have been made for the type of application that I used it for/.

some people claim that you should not change trans fluid to begin with, but that does not "cause" them to die in and of itself.  I had done so on this truck more than once before this.  I do transmission fluid changes ("pan drop") in my job constantly and never hear of them going bad as a result. I am a fleet mechanic for the State that I live in.

I knew this truck and its history, it would be different if I hadn't.  so saying that, I will stand by my belief that had I "not" put the Lucas product into that transmission, it would have lived, certainly more than the 10 miles it went before it abruptly died after putting the Lucas Transmission product into it. I do not have a crystal ball but I'd venture to say that I would have at least gotten the rest of that season out of that unit had I not done that.

#13 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz. is for old worn stuff, Lucas 10441 Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner Additive, is for late model good condition units.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Bought a Kubota excavator that had a lot of little hydraulic leaks. Mostly O-rings in the controls. Could only add half the container but it has made a big difference in the oil loss. I'm sure if I had added the whole container it would have worked even better.  I will add the rest if and when it needs more fluid.

GOOD stuff.  :thumbs:

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Started to get the Cub 8111 ready for a motor transplant.  Original is out of it when I bought it.  Removed the front with the hood and fender pan today.  Made some adjustments on the hydro linkage and brakes.  check the hydro fluid and it just touched the end of the dip stick.  Put 4 oz of Lucas Hydraulic booster and stop leak in a baby bottle.  Then filled with Hy Tran.  Shook it up good to mix it and poured it in the fill tube.  Made filling somewhat faster but still needed the breather tube to let the air out.  16 oz of this mix brought it up to a little below the full mark.  Will stop there to allow for heat expansion.  Picking up a pair of the 12" X 18" furniture mover in a couple days to move it outside for a good bath.  Have a rock/dirt floor in the garage where it is stored but will lay plywood down to roll it on.  Have to move it about 40' for the bath, then back to lift set the engine in.  Will pull the engine out of the 1810 while the 1811 is drying.  Hopefully the 1811 will be up and running the end of the week.