- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,891 Thanks
  • 3,120 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Some of you probably have one. I myself do not, but borrowed, and drove them in my younger years. Never realy liked them. Any way, please be carefull driving them please.
My nephew was killed on a motorcycle last Sunday. Don't know if it was his fault or not. Any way, he is dead. I am going to Nova Scotia on Saturday for the funeral. He was 24.

Edited by propane1, June 29, 2016 - 04:59 PM.

• Gtractor, HDWildBill, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 08:32 AM

My condolences to your family. Rick

• propane1 said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 09:08 AM

My condolences.  I know too many people that have been killed on these things.  The latest was just a couple of days ago.  I used to want one but no more.  There are too many crazy people on the road now and they only care about themselves as evident from the number of hit and runs we've had in the area.  Besides, as I get older and the reflexes get slower, I don't even think I would want to try.  Give me a good truck.  I can always roll the windows down.  My prayers go out for your family.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,887 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Sorry to hear for you and your family.

I had a cousin that almost lost his life when a car pulled out in front of him, thankfully he recovered.

#5 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,697 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 09:19 AM

I'm sorry for you and your families loss. I plan on buying and start riding soon. In the US, every state is different. Massachusetts for example, anyone can for the most part, go to the DMV, ask for their motorcycle permit and it's issued to them. No course requirements, safety classes, etc. Mass (I feel) due to that, has a very high fatality rate in the US. Rhode Island requires us to take a safety course and pass before being issued a permit.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. 

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,773 Thanks
  • 4,278 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 10:05 AM

I have rode many, many miles on a Goldwing.  Only close call was with a deer at dusk.  Iowa requires a written test and a driving test.  Driving test has to be passed for the size category of the bike you want the license for.  Can't take a test with a Honda 90 for a 1200cc bike any more.  The states with a helmet law has fewer fatalities and head injuries than those states without the helmet law.  One brand of riders through their dealers and mfg. keep beating down the helmet law.  When I was riding we had a saying:  "Anyone who rides without a helmet don't have anything to put in it anyway."

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 10:08 AM

My deepest condolences for you and your family.  It is very hard when you loose one unexpectedly like that and at such a young age.  Since you don't ride and have not had an interest I don't know if you will understand this but for some of us when you first throw your leg over your first bike it becomes a part of you and motorcycling gets into your blood.  I've been riding since I was 15 and I am now 67, I still ride and plan to do so until I can no longer control the bike.  That is not to say it is not dangerous, when you go out and get on that bike you are accepting a risk and each time you do you have to access weather the reward is worth that risk.  I know all this doesn't help you now but perhaps if you can understand that you nephew enjoyed riding like you enjoy your tractors, and yes I know there is a big difference, it may ease the pain.

Motorcycles are inherently dangerous because you don't have the protection that you do in a car or truck.  But on the other hand sometimes it just doesn't make a difference what your in.  We just had an 8 year old boy die when his care was hit broad side by a carjacker.  Another incident just happened with a lady getting hit while she walked her dog.  I will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,979 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Very sorry for your families loss...

I just put a deposit on a new bike the other day and I've been having second thoughts about it....The thing about bikes(or cars), is we can all "be careful" we can ride(drive) with the greatest of ease, but some moron on his cell phone or some other moron speeding down the road at a high rate of speed can put all that out the window.

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Sorry to hear this about such a young person not that age really has anything to do with it but I can relate , my son drives to work most days on his all year round , it makes me nervous thinking about it , if anyone has driven Rt22 in Allentown you'll know why . There was a 24 yr kill just this past Sat. on a highway entrance ramp , all by himself , at least that's what the news has reported

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,473 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 05:03 PM

Illinois has a free motorcycle safety course. I took it when I was riding and I highly recommend it.

#11 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,395 Thanks
  • 3,814 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Sorry for your loss. 

I too have lost [distant] family members on motorcycles. 

My dad, brother, and I have all went down on bikes.  None of the three was the fault of the bike or its driver.  They still hurt just as bad no matter who/what is at fault. 

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Sorry for your loss and prayers for your family.

#13 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 09:21 PM

A friend of mines son went down on one when a cat ran in front of him. He has no recollection of it. They only know it was a cat because some one was behind him and the fur scraps on his bike.

I used to ride dirt bikes and always wanted a road bike but decided not for four reasons: Nate, Walker, Ben came along and I moved to a place that has way too much traffic around.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,666 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 03:17 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss. I tend to stay away from anything with 2 wheels or less!

#15 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62893
  • 139 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Condolences and prayers for you and the families and friends.

I`m an avid rider, since I was 13, been through some scrapes, always got back on. Or, was able to get back on.

• HDWildBill and propane1 have said thanks