wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:43 PM

Have a project that I want to do, and I need advice from the pulling guys. I am going to stretch my Cub Cadet 102 either 14" or 16" to build a utility type machine with small dump bed. The question I have regards the driveshaft lengthening. I have several ideas, and am wondering if the simplest is the best. Use 1" DOM tubing with .1875" wall (0.625" ID) overlapping some of the original driveshaft and going all the way to the transaxle with said tubing and drilling for the rollpins. Concern is always alignment and wobble, and I could add a support bearing just like most serious pullers do to combat those issues. So does anyone see an issue with this method, or should I do something with universal joints, ragjoints, or lovejoy couplings?
Thanks.

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:19 AM

those are not hard to make, find a piece of "stress proof" rod and cut to length desired then drill holes for roll pins, done. I would definitely add a pillow block bearing where convenient  to help it spin true and avoid vibration.

I have seen lots of Cub Cadets stretched to make something like you are talking about, usually they are made into something like a 2 or 4 person butt buggy with a canopy top.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 10:48 PM

On my my pullers i use usually stainless steel rod and make my own coupler to connect the input shaft. I use a pillow blocks on all of them as well seeing that all the stress is mainly on the drivetrain itself. 

• Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#4 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:25 AM

Very strong 4130 chrome molly .625 light weigh and hi strength with center bearing