11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 05:38 PM

I know I am not the first but found nothing doing a search.  is there a way and if so how is it done - by pass that revere deck cut out switch.   Right hand on the hydro; left hand on the steering wheel,  Another hand (which none of us have) to turn the deck back on.  There has to be a way around that as my 1512 does not have the feature.  Anyone out there have been this router?

Edited by chieffan, June 28, 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 08:41 PM

What is this switch??  Have to press to back-up while mower is running one? I have that on my Deere.  You don't have to Hold it while backing. Once you touch, long as  you have pedal down (on mine) and don't let up or stop, it stays running fine. If you slow and let-up on drive movement, it will quit, so have to learn to keep your Foot into it, as they say.  IF you have a lever, might be same, not sure.  ON the new stuff there is a control box now that needs input from ALL the safety switches to be in right positions to make it run/drive right. If ONE of those is not correct, there is no signal to box and it does not allow movement.  The old days of just putting a cross wire in a plug or by-passing is not going to work anymore.  You'll just have to get used to the procedure, much like Car Seatbelts that everyone tried to by-pass in past, now they are needed and you get used to using.  Heck, ON seatbelts, I find myself even putting on just to back-up in drive or something, it becomes automatic.  Also, shops can not by laws change/alter the switches to our liking anymore either. You know even on here, they don't wish to have subjects about doing changes to safety systems.  The Operator is what needs changing of habits!! :poke: :smilewink:

• shorty, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Totally agree with GL. Don't delete the safety features. My cousin's young son doesn't have a foot due to a backing up accident.
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:36 PM

I understand why it is set up this way, as soon as the hydro goes into reverse the pto disengages.  That is fine if your in a city and/or children could drop in any time.  When I am 10 miles from town and 1 1/4 mils fro the closest neighbor not much chance any children will just show up.

Somewhere there is an arm and a switch that is deactivated when the hydro goes into reverse.  Makes for a lot of extra wear and tear on belts that way.

Edited by chieffan, June 28, 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:13 AM

buy an older machine that never had this annoyance. I occasionally have to mow the neighbor's lawn across the road due to his health issues, he used to have a Ranch King that would simply die when put into reverse with the deck engaged, he has a strip between the garden area and the fence that you basically have no choice but to mow in reverse, (or "just don't mow it") I just disconnected a plug under the fender to stop that from happening, he now has a Husq. that has 2 "reverse" spots on the shifter, as long as you put it in "Reverse II" (I forget what it actually is called,  been using my own machine to do his yard when needed)  you can back up with the blades engaged.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 07:52 AM

OSHA enacted to much of that stuff over the years trying to protect the people from them selves.  People are still going to do stupid things.  Not say that ever body or anybody is stupid.  Even with all the "safety" stuff people are still getting hurt because of stupidity.  Accidents don't happen - they are caused.  Mostly by human error.  There, I spoke my opinion on the matter.  After working many years as a vehicle collision technical investigator, 99% of all collisions are caused by human error.  Don't make any difference if it is on the roads or in your back yard.

• MH81 and kloudbuster1 have said thanks

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 08:06 AM

The story I heard was that the CEO of CC backed over / killed his kid and ordered that to be installed on all the tractors in the 90's or so..

What model # tractor is it?  The 21** series machines killed both the PTO and the engine when you try to back the thing up with the PTO on..  Later machines had a RIO lever which is still a PITA whenever you gotta back up..  The model # is the key here

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 12:54 PM

The story I heard was that the CEO of CC backed over / killed his kid and ordered that to be installed on all the tractors in the 90's or so..

What model # tractor is it?  The 21** series machines killed both the PTO and the engine when you try to back the thing up with the PTO on..  Later machines had a RIO lever which is still a PITA whenever you gotta back up..  The model # is the key here

Model is 1810.  Have a 1512 that does not have that kill feature.  Not sure on the 1811 as I don't have the motor put in it yet.

#1.  You don't mow when there are youngsters anywhere near.  PERIOD !    #2  Look before you back.  Gosh had that in driver training back in the late '50's in high school.  #3  If ANYONE shows up when your mowing, STOP !

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:02 PM

What is this switch??  Have to press to back-up while mower is running one? I have that on my Deere.  You don't have to Hold it while backing. Once you touch, long as  you have pedal down (on mine) and don't let up or stop, it stays running fine. If you slow and let-up on drive movement, it will quit, so have to learn to keep your Foot into it, as they say.  IF you have a lever, might be same, not sure.  ON the new stuff there is a control box now that needs input from ALL the safety switches to be in right positions to make it run/drive right. If ONE of those is not correct, there is no signal to box and it does not allow movement.  The old days of just putting a cross wire in a plug or by-passing is not going to work anymore.  You'll just have to get used to the procedure, much like Car Seatbelts that everyone tried to by-pass in past, now they are needed and you get used to using.  Heck, ON seatbelts, I find myself even putting on just to back-up in drive or something, it becomes automatic.  Also, shops can not by laws change/alter the switches to our liking anymore either. You know even on here, they don't wish to have subjects about doing changes to safety systems.  The Operator is what needs changing of habits!! :poke: :smilewink:

GL this switch in behind the dash some place and is opened when the hydro, which is a dash mounted lever, is put into reverse. Opening that switch closes a normally open relay which disengages the PTO switch.  That PTO switch is a special switch and cost $50.  This is a 1986 Tractor so not new enough for the electronic control boxes.  Still use the switch and relay method to do things.

Speaking of seat belts, had an old boy in town, Chub Nelson by name that was dead against that law and went so far as to cut seat belts out of a junker and had it sewed to the front of his coveralls, buckle and all.  Those kind of people you will never change their mind so you wave and go on.

#10 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:04 PM

If you look under the dash where the speed control lever is you will see a switch bolted to the underside, that's the switch that shuts off the PTO in reverse. You should be able to unhook it and jump the wires together, that's how it is on my 1211 which is the same tractor but with a smaller engine.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 10:58 PM

Guys, we really can't condone an open forum conversation on this.
Not that I don't also agree that we are being saved from ourselves and soon there will be a generation of kids wearing bubble wrap to stay safe, but with all the litigious people out there today... We just can't.

It is not recommended nor condoned by any representitves or owners of GTTalk.com to disable or alter any safety device.
  • KennyP, shorty, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 05:50 AM

1986? i had no idea this BS (the mowing in reverse dieout) had been around for that long.