• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 282 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 03:45 PM

hi all, have a question. when you adjust axle end play does it affect anything else in the trans ?

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:46 PM

It shouldn't.

Why do you ask?

• Xrperry said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:51 PM

It just affects your differential gears so they mesh properly..... Sounds like your having an issue ???

• Sawdust and Xrperry have said thanks

#4 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 282 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:51 PM

im not sure, i had a devil of a time getting the nuts off,broke the cotter pins off flush, got them out,went by the book to adjust.had to do some work on the threads on axle ends so i can turn nuts by hand. i know the trans are just noisy is there anyway to tell if it is set up right? like i say i did it by the book. just not confident on my work. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm very interested in the answer to this question too.  I've been in this exact position three times -- G10 and two 1050s -- and each time I've gone into it hoping to notice some kind of difference after doing the by the book adjustment.  I can't really say that I noticed any apparent differences after making the adjustment, but I choose to believe that my adjustment was beneficial to the tractor. :thumbs:

Can anyone explain the situation in more detail and help those of us (at least 2 of us, anyway) that have gone through the process without being confident it was done properly/effectively?

• Sawdust and Xrperry have said thanks

#6 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 282 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 04:39 PM

with the problems i had getting it apart i would make a safe bet no one has done it since new, i guess i could go thru the process again and call it good, but i am still going to wonder.   :wallbanging:

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Bolens recommended that the adjustment be done periodically, but of course, it was rarely done unless a problem was noticed.

One of the symptoms of the adjustment being needed, is when the tractor can be pushed with the free-wheeling pin engaged.

Also, if the drive tends to "skip" when under load.

If the procedure is followed as described in the service bulletin, then all should be well.  ....You may or may not notice any difference before and after doing the procedure.

• Xrperry said thank you

#8 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 282 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Bruce, it don't skip or any other nasty things. Gonna call it good and run it.