Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snow blower tweeking- overdrive question?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 215 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding snow blowers= especially for those of you who have retrofitted one brand of snowblower onto another type tractor and run into rpm conversion  problems.

My question is this- what happens if the snowblower rotates too fast?

The reason I ask is that I have a restored snowblower and a repowered tractor with more than  a bunch of new power. I was thinking maybe "speeding up the fan" - slightly,- a responsible amount, ever so slightly, just for giggles, to watch the snow fly further. By speeding the fan blade up (not the auger)- I was going to add one tooth to a drive gear and subtract one from another in the second stage chain, giving no more than a 10 percent increase in speed. I wasn't going to increase the auger speed, just the fan that throws the snow (this is a 2 stage blower btw)

Then it hit me, why not add a tooth or two to the main gear drive and speed it all up just a tad. I'm not talking some irresponsible 200% speed increase or something, just a tad here or there for fun- again 5%? 10%. 

This is a blower I restored several years ago. All bearings and chains are new. 

My goal is to throw snow as far as possible. If it breaks, the snow will melt in several days anyway. I live in the south, where a snowblower is more of an oddity and novelty, so this is just a fun project. I'm looking for maximum possible snow throwage.

Increased drive fan speed? Better chute design?  Thoughts please!

Attached Thumbnails

• snowblower ford.jpg

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:27 PM

Lots of hp if speeding things up. On mine I slowed the fan speed down, so the engine could keep up and throw the snow the same distance as before with out bogging the engine down, having to slow the tractor down or stop to let the engine speed back up, was my trouble. My set up is a ford tractor, 16hp, and ford blower. A matched set from the factory. I also made a new impeller with five paddles instead of four on the original. This helped it throw more snow, and maybe a little farther.
Just some thoughts.

Nice lookin tractor and blower you have there !

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by propane1, June 27, 2016 - 08:30 PM.

• dualresponse1731 said thank you

#3 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • 215 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:36 PM

That's a very cool impeller!!!!  What on earth inspired you to do that? :D

#4 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • 215 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Also- I agree, my 14 hp was the same story, a lot of hunting and pecking, and waiting for rpm to increase back up. If I went straight in as a steady pace, it was less than a snails pace. I'm at 23 hp now, and it has made a world of difference in my summer mowing projects. I can't wait until next winter to see what happens in the snow!)  Maybe I don't need to speed things up too much now that you mention it, just being able to power into a drift might be satisfaction enough! 

(edit- that's no fun!- I need to tinker with something beyond belief to make it fun) :D

Thanks on the compliment btw- that was several seasons ago!- It's all covered in grease now!

Edited by dualresponse1731, June 27, 2016 - 08:45 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:51 PM

If you can find an old truck mudflap add some to the backside of the fan blades enough to close the gap between the blades and fan housing. You won't have to speed it up.

Mike

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:53 PM

If you look at impellers on blowers for farm tractors, that's the way they are made, so I figued that's what to do. Als, having the impeller open in the centre allows snow in easier. Vacuum is created in the centre when spinning. Same as flywheel on a small engine to cool it.

Noel

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 806 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Be careful if you speed up the snowcaster, there is a website that sells cub cadet speed up kits and also issues strong warnings about them. They have a video of a blower self destruction and apparently the man was injured very badly from shrapnel. Just a word of caution.

#8 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • 215 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Lots of good feedback! Thanks! 

If there is one thing I love about the internet, it's that you can pick someone's brains who has experience...

So anyway.

First off, Thanks propane for the pics. The impeller is awesome! My welding skills wouldn't allow me to make something close to balanced for spinning applications!  :D What I did notice on your snowblower pic were external bearings for the initial drive gear shaft. I still have the original brass bushings, and wondered what I'd do if they wore out. Now I know- (I pictured mine below)

Then I got to searching for the mudflap idea for filling the impeller gap. I found a youtube video with a 3/8 inch gap. Mine looks loose in the pic, but it is about 1/4 gap- so I am wondering if I should do it- is it worth it?. I might go ahead and do that since the pic makes it look so big- however, in real life, it's pretty darn close!

This got me looking at another gap- the distance between the impeller and the rear of the housing. This is wasted space that could be used for added spinning impeller room. Currently this gap IS about 1/2 inch- which is open to allow room for the tensioner bolt used for the impeller drive chain. I'm thinking if I made an external mount for the impeller tensioner mount, I could fill this gap with spinning impeller instead of wasted space. It would orient the impeller better under the shoot(pics 3 and 4)

I also tried to hunt up the cub cadet speed up speed kit for a snowblower, but could only find info on speed up stuff for the mower deck. What little I could find mentioned overdriving by 20%. I would only go 5-10% tops.

Im thinking subtract one tooth from here: (pic 5), and maybe add one tooth here (pic 6)

Finally, I am open to looking at the chute design. I remember an article somewhere where someone added an oversized chute foe better path. I don't know it if would be worth it or not.... thoughts? (pic 7)

Thoughts?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0457.JPG
  • IMG_0464.JPG
  • IMG_0456.JPG
  • IMG_0459.JPG
  • IMG_0462.JPG
  • IMG_0461.JPG
  • IMG_0460.JPG

Edited by dualresponse1731, June 28, 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 09:21 PM

I have thought about chute design but have not done any thing yet. But I would like to have it taller with a more gradual turn, than the quick turn in the original chute.
The bearing takes up some of that room behind the impleller, I think. The impleller may not be back all the way. If you loosen the set screws on the bearing that holds the shaft, it may pushback some. But that gap would not make much difference. Just my thought.
Oh, you all so need hydraulics for your chute. Won't throw snow any farther , but some nice to use.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg