• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • Member No: 76841
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Greetings everyone . In am going to look at a case 446 in the next few days and am wondering if you guys can share some pointers on what I should look for ... or even look out for . I have not seen the machine or even pictures yet , They describe it as needing a paint job , I am told it has not been started in 4 yrs. and that  even  with fresh gas and a new battery the owners can not get it to start now . It comes with a tiller , a blade and a mower .They said it has a "2 point " on the rear ( I assume they mean 3 point (?) .Anyone have a ruff ball park figure on what something like this is worth  ? 

#2 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Check the compression on the engine to ensure its running on both cylinders. They can break a rod and keep running on one cylinder.

If everything is in good shape, it's worth a good bit of money.

What's he asking for it all?
  • J.T.M. said thank you

#3 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:33 PM

I was told they would like to get around 1 k .

#4 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:18 PM

I just bought one with a deck and a sleeve hitch for 300. It turns over but I haven't had time to try and get it running. I wasn't looking for one when I got it. I saw it behind a business with stuff piled on it, went inside, introduced myself, asked about it, the wife gave me her husbands number and the next day we met and I had a 446.

There's a guy not far from here asking 22 for one with the three point and a tiller with what looks like a Honda clone engine on it. He's had it listed for a good while and he doesn't respond to e-mails about selling the tiller. My presumption is that he either doesn't really want to sell or it is way over priced. Of course asking and getting are two different things. 2200 around here will buy you a pretty nice 8N with walking around money left in your pocket.

900 is "around" a 1000. So is 8. There's no need to start at a 1000. It sounds like a fair price to me but I am far from an expert and can't see it either. There's other people much more knowledgeable than me on this forum.

Use the "it won't start" to your advantage. Do the old "those engines are bad about breaking rods" thing. Show up with a trailer and fist full of hundreds. 500 may very well put it on your trailer. Or less, especially if they are aggravated with it. Then you can send the worthless tiller to me! LOL

There's a manual and a few things in the manual section. Download a couple of them and read through them before you go.
  • J.T.M. said thank you

#5 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:39 PM

I just bought one with a deck and a sleeve hitch for 300. It turns over but I haven't had time to try and get it running. I wasn't looking for one when I got it. I saw it behind a business with stuff piled on it, went inside, introduced myself, asked about it, the wife gave me her husbands number and the next day we met and I had a 446.

There's a guy not far from here asking 22 for one with the three point and a tiller with what looks like a Honda clone engine on it. He's had it listed for a good while and he doesn't respond to e-mails about selling the tiller. My presumption is that he either doesn't really want to sell or it is way over priced. Of course asking and getting are two different things. 2200 around here will buy you a pretty nice 8N with walking around money left in your pocket.

900 is "around" a 1000. So is 8. There's no need to start at a 1000. It sounds like a fair price to me but I am far from an expert and can't see it either. There's other people much more knowledgeable than me on this forum.

Use the "it won't start" to your advantage. Do the old "those engines are bad about breaking rods" thing. Show up with a trailer and fist full of hundreds. 500 may very well put it on your trailer. Or less, especially if they are aggravated with it. Then you can send the worthless tiller to me! LOL

There's a manual and a few things in the manual section. Download a couple of them and read through them before you go.

Thanks for the reply .I like your ideal of showing up with a trailer in tow .ect... I have a 5' x 8' trailer .Would a 446 fit ? 

#6 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:03 PM

It'll fit fine on the trailer. You may have to remove a deck if it's on there. Look around where the front axle attaches and check for cracks around there. Also check for wear on the front axle pin. They are great machines. In my opinion though, 1k is way too unless it'll drive onto your trailer. Last one I bought running was 500. Around here, 1000 dollar machine will run with a good working attachment. As for the 2 point, they either had a 3 point or a sleeve hitch. Nice thing is, you only need a sleeve for the Case tiller. Although a 3 point is a nice addition and will add to the price. Love to see some pics. Keep us updated.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, June 27, 2016 - 09:04 PM.

#7 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Yes. And they are easy to push, but I would take a come along to help it up the ramp.

I think showing up with a trailer has helped me close some deals for less money before.

You know the drill on negotiating, if they take the first offer, you offered too much. I've told several guys that my offer might tick them off. And then explained that I'm taking risk on a non-running piece of equipment, what's broken, missing, etc.. When somebody is selling something that doesn't run and they say they don't know why they are either 1) lying and don't want to spend the money to fix it or 2) they genuinely don't know. The second guys are usually easier to deal with because they know you are going to have to spend time and money to fix it.

Have fun. Good luck. I can give you my shipping address for the tiller later! LOL