• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:47 PM

I usually post on the Bolens page, but wanted some input from some good IH folks (I love Bolens, but my heart is actually IH Red - got a '51 Cub and a '69 Cub Cadet 106...).

I have the chance to pick up an International Cadet 60 riding mower (yup, I know, its a mower, not a GT, but it sure is a cool looking critter!).  

Anyone have any input on it?  Value? Parts?  Opinions? (heck, I know ya'll have opinions!)

I need some fast input as I have only 48 hours to decide whether to get it or not...(by 8 PM EDT on Wed)...

Thanks!

:wave:

Edited by SC Farmer, June 27, 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Any pictures of one to see.

Noel
  • SC Farmer said thank you

#3 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:02 PM

i see them pretty frequently on clist in my area for $200 or less, the engine is a briggs so parts should be pretty easy to come by.

#4 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I have had several in the past.  I think the 60 model is the only yellow one, and one of the first.  I am pretty sure it is a Tecumseh engine and only the sixty has the reverse shaft on the engine to allow it to back up.  That means if you try to replace it with a regular vertical shaft, it wont back up.  They have pretty heavy frames, you rarely see them without the cracked fiberglass.  They are cool.

• Sawdust and SC Farmer have said thanks

#5 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 05:23 AM

Yes, it's a yellow model, first model, I believe.  Has a Tecumseh engine and a 32" deck I think.  Here is a stock picture.  I'm thinking it would look good in the barn next to the CC 106 and the others.  I will do a bit more research on it before purchase...

Believe it or not, a landscape blade attachment and some other attachments were available as well, making this a bit more than just a "mower" (unfortunately they don't come with the one I'm looking at... :(

Attached Thumbnails

• imgres.jpg

Edited by SC Farmer, June 28, 2016 - 05:28 AM.

• Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 07:34 AM

That's neat. Would be good to have for your collection. Don't wait to get it. Pick it up right away. I have lost out on tractors that I was looking at because I thought about it to much. Hope you get it.

Noel.

#7 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Noel, I'm going to get it, but unfortunately, I have to wait until tomorrow...

:wallbanging:

#8 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Well, the auction is over on the International Cadet 60 - and I won it!  For the UNBELIEVABLE price of $27.00

Now I just have to drive a few hours on Friday and pick it up.

Edited by SC Farmer, June 30, 2016 - 05:06 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 05:21 AM

Congrats on the score! Cool looking little tyke!

#10 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Picked the little guy up today - little? Weighs aver 300 pounds! Anyway, got it on the trailer and safely home. Needs 4 new tires for sure and the engine is partially disassembled.  Battery is dated 4/87 (hmmm....),  Looks pretty good overall, though.  This will be a winter project, although I would like to get the engine running sooner.  I have a couple of other GT's to finish up (Bolens 1886 and CC 106) and a Bolens 1253 to start.  Good thing I'm retired, huh?  Now if I just had the $$$ to put into these tractors!   :rolling:

Some pics of the Cadet will follow in the morning.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 03:34 PM

Some pics of the International Cadet 60.  The serial number falls in the 1971 range.  Found out it has an electric start and that the engine has good compression and turns over easy with the pull rope.  No carb on it now (it's in a box of spare parts). The tires are pretty checked and need replacing, but three of the four pumped up and are holding air for now - made removing it from my trailer LOTS easier!  Fiberglass shell looks in really good shape - no cracks have been seen yet, but I have yet to remove it from the frame. The gas tank is empty and looked very clean.  Oil is clean as well.  I think this was someone's restoration project as the decals on the mower deck were taped off and a poor paint job applied (I bought it an estate auction). All that will change when I get into my restore job in the coming winter.  For now -  I'm very hopeful of getting it started in the next few weeks!

Sunday morning - took the carb and intake manifold apart - wow - check out the mud dauber nest!  I gess it had been setting in that parts pile for a while...

Attached Thumbnails

• 40.JPG
  • 39.JPG
  • 38.JPG
  • 41.JPG
  • 49.JPG

Edited by SC Farmer, July 03, 2016 - 10:19 AM.

• KennyP, propane1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 11:53 AM

I mowed a fair amount of yard with one of them when I was in high school for my grandfather.  I loved that little thing and was sad when he sold it.  They are a little odd and hard to come by without cracked shells.  That one looks excellent and the price you cannot go wrong on.  As has already been stated the 60 uses a tecumseh which you already know.  They are a 4 speed forward and reverse.  The forward is accomplished by the belt on the crankshaft pulley and the reverse is powered by a belt run off a pulley on an extension shaft off of the camshaft.  It makes the engine unique to this particular model of Cadet rider.  IH didn't use it in any other ones that I am aware of.

Nice score and I gotta say I'm a little jealous.  I have always kinda wanted one of my own to relive those high school days.  One day I will find one.  I had an Uncle and Aunt that had a model 75 Cadet rider which was a 7hp  version that was a 3 speed with reverse and didn't have the camshaft extension with a separate belt drive for reverse.  That one was white and not yellow like the 60 was.  I mowed a few acres with that one when I was in elementary and middle school till my uncle passed away and my aunt sold her farm.

Good luck with it.

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 02:16 PM

That looks like a fun project & fun to drive. Congrats

#14 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Sunday morning - took the carb and intake manifold apart - wow - check out the mud dauber nest!  I gess it had been setting in that parts pile for a while...

In the words of my wife..... That's not intaking or carburetoring at all.   :D         Rick

#15 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 226 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:28 PM

I thank everyone for their kind words.  I'm getting excited about the restoration on the Cadet 60!  

Hey, does anyone know offhand what size of drive belt for the mower and the spindle belt size?  Heading off to Agri Supply this week and this mower came without those two belts and I'd like to pick them up there.  Yeah, I know - "Get the owner's Manual"... :D

"Seek and ye shall find..."  -  I found the belt info online.  Yay.

Edited by SC Farmer, July 04, 2016 - 05:57 AM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you