• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:44 AM

As I said in another post I hadn`t planned a complete redo but.....really just wanted to get it working good !  And really need to get it where I can move it around...need the shop space back !

After finally getting rear clutch plate/flywheel off...and the tranny out of the loop...surprise surprise the dang thing still won`t roll around !!! Checked the brakes and found neither one really moved much... one not at all. With poor design and the twisting of the 3/8 round rod brake thru a couple of 90 degree bends I wasn`t surprised they maybe weren't released....appears to be much water damage thru out tractor....Dreading trying get the bolts out of the housings and stuff. Actually got the brake rods actually moving after more PB blaster and rocking the rods back and forth. They may still be stuck but at least the rods are moving now. Rocking the wheels back and for what little they move...I couldn`t see any movement in the input shaft on the rear end. Put the coupling and the shaft back on it twisting it with 14" pipe wrench  was able to actually get the wheels to move in both directions. The rear wheels really turned easily when it was off the ground during unloading and being able to turn it with pipewrench. I`m guessing the differential is functional. That leaves the planetary as likely culprit....but it apparently is functioning too. I am thinking checking the fluids and if it isn`t some kind of solvent like everything else with oil has had on this poor tractor....try pulling it down the drive way in hopes off loosening it up. I`m still thinking of pulling all the stuff off to clean it up and repair anything needed but sure would like to get it where will move good before pulling it apart. I`m guessing there some oil/gear lube  in the planetary probably separate from the oil/lube in the differential. I can see what looks to be a small plug on the Planetary housing on the top....fill hole I`m guessing....

All of you` alls experience and advice will be appreciated before I get any further into this thing. The engine moves like it should and most of the parts I`ve removed seem OK....just been out in the weather and neglected. So I`ll do as much as I can to get back to great condition while I`ve got it apart.

Thanks ahead for any advice and help.!!

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Planetary?  Bull gears on sides? They can get water in them, maybe rust up.  Several plugs on insides of those to deal with. Could be drain at bottom one, some did not have, but can also pull bottom bolts to drain out fluids. One up a little in back is the fill and level plug.  And some, not all may have one higher up. Some of the plugs have tiny holes in them with screen in them. It is a vent, and should go back in same hole, would just leak oil if on bottom too low. Look closely at them, hole is small, should try to clean. Maybe remove wheels, jack up good, and can put 1/2"drill on shaft with some adapter made up and just run the thing for awhile, get stuff worked up. Put 80/90 in bull gear cases after draining and then go try to have it move, pulling or other way. I'm thinking those brake rods just pull out after getting the bands off the outer ends. Probly have to sand or clean the shaft off good, so not to pull hard and scrape on things. There is also a seal there, small, but can be changed while apart also. Many leak there and get brakes wet. If you don't have any manuals, suggest getting some. Some here that can be printed. NOt much info, but shows parts blow-ups and they are good thing to see to help on assembly or dis-assembly.  Will give fluid change directions and such also. It is easiest to fill the cases with a ketchup or similar tipped squeeze bottle thru those small holes. Pre-measure the amount. That will be in the manuals. There is also oil in the differential, in most cases the cover has to come off to see and drain and can look and clean out sludge in there while open. Can make gasket from paper while off, or some just use silicone there. I hate the squeeze out look of that and make the paper.  I would call this tractor a rebuilder, not a User it seems at this point, needs attention on many items. Once done and painted will be much more enjoyable tractor. But something else for meantime to do yard work, say a Wheelhorse or pop brand for area. Good Luck with it.

#3 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:14 AM

Your right about it being a rebuilder....I will fix it up some but in the end it needs to be 100% usable. I`m too lazy to bypass fixing something now to just have to take it apart again. Lord I`ve got a bunch of mowers but use the late model 2010 Cub with 22 hp Kawasaki engine....best small engine I`ve ever used. I`ve got it down far enough now to at least clean and paint the parts I won`t be able to access easily when it is back together. I`m curious about the proper paint scheme for this 1974 era. I`ve seen some pics with parts of the frame painted black. Know where I could find some good color pics for the that ??

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,009 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Here is what a 1976 model looks like this all original paint except for the font wheels I installed them as I liked the looks better than the originals originals were black

100_0568.JPG 100_0570.JPG 100_0572.JPG

Edited by MNGB, June 28, 2016 - 06:33 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Are those standard trailer type wheels...bolt pattern ??? I`m needing to get at least one front tire and will get both anyway ....may be cheaper to do what you have there !

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,009 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Hi yes the are trailer wheels I got them here they are good to do business with fast shipping product is good.

http://recstuff.com/...l-paint-defect/

• Alc said thank you

#7 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 04:32 PM

Thanks mngb.....those are cheap