Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on condition of clutch/drive shaft on 122 (pics)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Greetings-Started doing some trouble shooting on a 122 that I picked up earlier in the year. The symptoms felt like the clutch was slipping , more apparent in reverse. I pulled the clutch/driveshaft assembly out yesterday and replaced the friction disk, but wanted some expert advise before reinstalling. My other two Cubs are an Original and a 102 with creeper. I know that the 122 setup would look nothing like the Original, but was surprised at the difference between the 122  setup and the 102 w/creeper. The other weird thing that happened was after I installed the new friction disk and the unit was all back together, somehow the engagement lever fell off of the assembly and I can't get it to go back on (without dis-assembly) Anyhoo, here's a few pics, everything look kosher? PS- I was /  am considering taking the creeper gear from the 102 and installing it on the 122 as the 122 is in much better shape and also has a sleeve hitch and headlights. opinions?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0377.JPG
  • DSC_0378.JPG
  • DSC_0379.JPG
  • DSC_0380.JPG
  • DSC_0383.JPG
  • DSC_0384.JPG
  • DSC_0385.JPG

#2 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:30 AM

How did the driveshaft look where the throwout bearing rides? If it was wore at all I recommend getting a new shaft as the throwout bearing can get hung up and cause the clutch to slip. The slip collars at the rear of the spring are popular for pulling as you don't weaken the driveshaft by drilling a hole in it, if there not positioned correctly you might not have enough spring pressure which will also cause it to slip. How did the clutch plates look? There are several places that turn the plates on a lathe to remove warping and grooves to ensure proper lockup.
  • Alc said thank you

#3 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the reminder! The guy that I bought it from got it from another guy who was going to set it up for pulling. Are you saying that the two slip collars are not stock items and were probably installed by the previous owner? The clutch plates looked pretty good actually, had some minor rings worn into them which I was able to all but remove on my big Delta surface grinder in my basement. Only took  a couple of thousands of material off as to not weaken the unit. I'll examine the driveshaft for wear under the throw out bearing and replace if necessary. Thanks for the suggestions!! Paul

#4 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Yes I'm saying the two collars are not stock, it should have a hole in the shaft with a pin through it for the spring to rest against. The collars are completely fine provided there in the correct spot, if there not you might not get full pressure on the spring.