Throttle Cable adjustment - Engine running at high RPM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 75344
  • 9 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I have an older lawn tractor with an 11hp engine in it.

Engine is a B&S 11HP - 252707-0228-01 82031211 and has the choke-a-matic.

Engine runs fine but when I move the throttle lever on the dash from slow to fast it runs at a very high RPM.

I move the throttle lever on the dash to choke and start the engine but have to idle it down right away because the engine sounds like it is running way too high.

With the throttle lever on the dash in the low position, it idles nice and low like it should.

I only need to move it a very short distance and then it sounds like it is running at what full throttle should be.

When I move the throttle lever on the dash to FAST, it sounds like it is running at way too high RPM. I have other lawn tractors and none of them sound like this when they are on FAST.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? The spring on the linkage from the governor to the carb is on and is not broke.  The spring on the governor arm is hooked up to the throttle assembly on the engine block and is not broke.

Thank You.

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 926 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 12:03 AM

Could be hooked up as to not have enough throw in throttle on engine side. Also could be the governor spring is in the wrong hole, not sure of your set up.
  • BMW1 said thank you