Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler 321 oily mess-Source of oil leak?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 10:06 AM

I know I seem to be taking forever to get the engine back together but with it out of the frame it is so much easier to do some restoration work. I have the engine bay painted and the front axle pivot rebuilt. I am trying to resist hurrying the engine work. I must say I am impressed with the quality that went in to these K series engines. It would be a real waste to screw something up and lunch the engine. Hopefully in another week or so I'll get it back in the frame. It's all a learning experience for me and I am enjoying the work and the problem solving.

#47 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 10:24 AM

Brian, There is nothing wrong with taking your time and doing it right the first time. So many times I've got in a rush to finish the job and screwed something up, ending up taking a lot longer then it would have if I had done it right the first time. Great job, and I'm sure it will run like a new one....
  • JDBrian said thank you

#48 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'm taking advantage of the sun today to do some gardening. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get out to get the head bolts and then I'm ready to start reassembly. I am also replacing points, condenser,push rod and coil at the same time. The old points were trashed and I was getting very different resistance readings on the HV side of the coil depending on if it was warm or not. Not a good sign so a new one is going in.

#49 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Finally put the new head gasket on this morning. I used new bolts and had run a tap through all the threads to make sure the bolts would tighten properly. When it came to torque them I looked at my Chinese torque wrench (you set it and it clicks when torque setting is reached )and wondered if it was accurate at low settings. I mostly use it for torquing wheel lug nuts at 80-100ft/lbs. Then I remembered that I had a dial indicating torque wrench. I haven't used it for 25 yrs since my dirt bike days. It's a Craftsman 1/2 in drive. The kind with the long needle that basically measures the flex in the wrench shaft and indicates torque on the dial up at the handle. This made it easy to bring the torque up in increments to the final value. I followed the bolt pattern guide in the Kohler manual. Now I just need to remember to retorque after running the engine for 15minutes.

Edited by JDBrian, June 18, 2011 - 11:14 AM.
fix spacing glitch

#50 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Just an update. The engine is running and dosen't seem to be pushing any oil out the breather. I did the retorque after 15 minutes running. Lets hope it's good to go for a long time. Thanks everyone for the help.