Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Half of a 1958 Economy tractor saved from the scrap yard.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 09:13 PM

A friend of mine told me about half of a tractor sitting on a scrap metal pile at a salvage yard. The owner wanted 175.00 for it, so I asked my friend to take some pics and send them to me. After seeing the pics, I let him know that I would take it, and headed to the scrap yard 25 minutes away. I brought a bunch of tools since I would have to disassemble it to get it into the back of a Jeep Cherokee. My time was limited, since I had to be to work later in the afternoon. When I got to the scrap yard, the carcass was sitting on a pile of junk, so the owners son picked it up with a forklift and set it next to my car. It was hot out, I was in direct sun light, and I had to disassemble everything on a dusty roadway. Every time I dropped a wrench, the sandy dust would stick to the gear oil on it. One way or another, I was getting this thing apart and in the back of the Jeep before my time was up. It took an hour just to get the stubborn brake hubs off of the pinion shafts, but after that, it took less than an hour to tear the rest of it down. I thought that I would find water in the transmission and in the rear, and most likely worn or broken parts. I was amazed to see that everything looked very good with not much wear. Luckily, there was a tight fitting boot on the shifter on the transmission, so no water got in. Here are the pics my friend sent me. Someone cut the frame off just ahead of the rear axle. I have no idea why someone did this, and hauled the parts off to the scrap yard.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0891-1.jpg
  • IMG_0890.jpg
  • IMG_0889.jpg

Edited by classic, June 25, 2016 - 10:23 PM.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Nice save but borrow a trailer next time.
  • Gtractor, Oldford and classic have said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 09:34 PM

I cleaned out the inside of the transmission and all it needs is input and output shaft bearings. The shifter button has a little wear but not bad, so I'll weld Up the worn spots before reassembling it. The pinion shaft splines, driveshaft spline, bull gears, and bearings are in great shape. I took the differential apart and everything looks real good. Basically, I just have to clean everything up and reassemble with new gaskets and seals. The brake hubs are worn a bit, so they should get replaced. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a parts economy tractor with a good frame and front axle, and get this Economy tractor back together.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160623_145505-1-1.jpg
  • 20160625_200553-1-1.jpg
  • 20160622_144814-1.jpg
  • 20160623_150326-1.jpg
  • 20160622_143556-1.jpg

Edited by classic, June 25, 2016 - 11:14 PM.

• Gtractor and grnspot110 have said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 09:49 PM

I would have borrowed a trailer, but I didn't have time. I shot to the scrap yard first thing in the morning. I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss out on it, since the scrap yard is usually busy. I planned on taking it apart anyway to check things over, so at least it will be easier to store the parts for a future project.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 05:09 AM

I have a frame from a 1612 . The rear is different so not sure if it would even work. It was from a parts tractor , can't remember if the front axle is still around

Edited by Alc, June 26, 2016 - 05:12 AM.

• classic said thank you

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 05:36 AM

One mans junk is anothers treasure!!  Nice score on that.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 05:44 AM

I think that the frames may be the same, Alc. I'll have to look up the part numbers for the frames on the PK'S with the Ford A and Dana rears. Here is a pic of the frame for my 1956 PK with the Ford A rear.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160131_154043-1.jpg

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 06:07 AM

Just looking at yours I know the one I have doesnt have those 2 round tubes . I can get some pictures after church if you want to see that helps
  • classic said thank you

#9 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 255 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 06:42 AM

There is a guy in warren ma has an add on cl every oncd in a while with a few pks
  • classic said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 07:58 AM

The tubes are for the early style seat mount Alc, but I'm thinking the rest of the frame may be the same, and thanks for the help! I've talked with the guy in Warren a while back, Mtypython. He came to mind when I picked these parts up. I may contact him again and see what he has. Thanks for the tip!
  • Alc said thank you

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Well, that is an early one with that rear.  Think more a Parts tractor than a rebuilder???  Too bad was junked. Fella probly cut frame to be easier to fit in hauler or as we know the rears don't just un-bolt from them, so he did shortcut, going to junk anyway, right??  Shame! Wonder if any of the rest is in pile there somewhere? This need the special adjustable front axles? or later single style. I didn't look up the serial for year, so not sure at moment what was. You get that info yet?  OH, Duh!  Look at the Title here, sorry!

Edited by glgrumpy, June 26, 2016 - 08:30 AM.

• classic said thank you

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hi classic, good save hope you can find what is needed to make a tractor of it again, I'm amazed at how good the trans and differential etc look,  I wonder if Grumpy is on the right track about cutting it up to get it to the scrape yard.

• classic said thank you

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:01 AM

I'm sure an old PK will surface with a waterlogged trans and rear. This carcass is not something I'm in a rush to get going, so time may turn something up. I could have used some of these parts on my '56 PK rebuild, but I have what I need for that now. I have an engine and an extra steering box, so a frame, front axle assembly, hogs head, flywheel, and clutch assembly would be the main parts to get this together. I have some other ideas banging around in my head for this, too. I too am amazed at the condition of the parts. I really was expecting a whole lot worse as I started disassembling it. You may be right about cutting it up to go to the scrapper Grumpy. These old machines are just junk to some people since they have no need or interest in them.

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 05:29 PM

Jim Dandy and 1612 frames have square tubes,not rectangular.I have some frames for free if interested.Might be able to fix you up with a front axle also.

• classic said thank you

#15 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info and kind offer Username, but I'm about 5 hours away from Punxsutawney. It's an awful long way for me to travel, but I will keep you in mind. I do like these older PK'S, so I'm determined to get this one together.