10 replies to this topic

#1 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Picked it up Monday . IMO unbelievable deal , purchased from original owner family (Dad to daughter) Pretty decent , runs and operates very nicely.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, July 28, 2016 - 05:08 PM.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Nice tractor, any attachments.

Noel
  • KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Very good score! What size are the rears?

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 02:38 PM

Rear tires look big, but I'm gunna guess 23x10.50x12.

Noel

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Nice tractor, any attachments.
Noel

Thanks, deck coming (I hope)

Very good score! What size are the rears?

Thanks, 23x10.50x12 still the original Firestone's to Ford tire marriage.

Exhaust pipe elbow broken, tore it apart quite the set up, muffler body tacked to the bolt on lid which elbow is welded to then fits down inside cast iron exhaust manifold box, muffler vibrated loose looks like over the years, broke free of the elbow tore it down weld repaired and reassembled , I believe it will last another 30 yrs.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Nice

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 12:43 AM

nice

#8 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:44 AM

Very nice indeed!

#9 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 08:40 AM

Exhaust pipe elbow broken, tore it apart quite the set up, muffler body tacked to the bolt on lid which elbow is welded to then fits down inside cast iron exhaust manifold box, muffler vibrated loose looks like over the years, broke free of the elbow tore it down weld repaired and reassembled , I believe it will last another 30 yrs.

This must be a defect that is known for them. Mine too was rewelded by previous owner. Poor job on mine, not like yours. Nicely done.
Mine still has leaks and small cracks on the top manifold head around it.
And when the rewelded, the angle was wrong and it vibrates the pipe against the battery housing.

Nice find! Has 600 less hours than mine. And what do you mean by (Part Two?)

Also, I have uploaded some manuals to the GTtalk Manuals section. With the Repair Manual to come soon. Not sure if you need them.

Edited by gksyn, June 29, 2016 - 11:01 AM.

• KennyP and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 07:51 PM

This must be a defect that is known for them. Mine too was rewarded by previous owner. Poor job on mine, not like yours. Nicely done.
Mine still has leaks and small cracks on the top manifold head around it.
And when the rewelded, the angle was wrong and it vibrates the pipe against the battery housing.
Nice find! Has 600 less hours than mine. And what do you mean by (Part Two?)
Also, I have uploaded some manuals to the GTtalk Manuals section. With the Repair Manual to come soon. Not sure if you need them.

Muffler is available: http://partstore.agr...r49630ar234810. This is linked to a dealer nearest to me (Bortnicks) any NH dealer can order it for you , Messicks ( http://www.messicks.com/) told me they are in the Indianapolis warehouse for approx $90, you would need the gasket for the lid as well approx $30, the exhaust pipe itself is NLA,most muffler shops should easily bend one up. I believe the lid to be cast , perhaps explains the tendency towards brittle and the stress cracks, I welded it with the assumption that it was cast, thank you for the compliment.
The gearbox on the deck will need rebuilt, I look forward to trying it out by mowing with it once it's repaired. My preliminary assessment is it is a well made machine.
Ebay steal part one was posted under the Bolens forum , both these deals where close by and about the same money, this may be the best deal I ever got on a GT.
I did see your manuals downloaded, thank you. This came with its manuals, quite impressive ones they are!
Your tractor is a nice looking unit and I hope it serves you well.
  • gksyn said thank you

#11 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 08:19 AM

Muffler is available: http://partstore.agr...r49630ar234810. This is linked to a dealer nearest to me (Bortnicks) any NH dealer can order it for you , Messicks ( http://www.messicks.com/) told me they are in the Indianapolis warehouse for approx $90, you would need the gasket for the lid as well approx $30, the exhaust pipe itself is NLA,most muffler shops should easily bend one up. I believe the lid to be cast , perhaps explains the tendency towards brittle and the stress cracks, I welded it with the assumption that it was cast, thank you for the compliment.
The gearbox on the deck will need rebuilt, I look forward to trying it out by mowing with it once it's repaired. My preliminary assessment is it is a well made machine.
Ebay steal part one was posted under the Bolens forum , both these deals where close by and about the same money, this may be the best deal I ever got on a GT.
I did see your manuals downloaded, thank you. This came with its manuals, quite impressive ones they are!
Your tractor is a nice looking unit and I hope it serves you well.

Thanks for the info and links. I did see some used mufflers and manifolds on eBay, but missed out on them. Probably worth getting a new one and gasket like you mentioned. I did know of the one link, but def. needed the NH link. I'll call them up with questions. I'm from Northeastern, PA.

I agree they are well made! But going through the maintenance on it, I realized this tractor has so many filters! (A very good thing)
Oil, Air, Pre-fuel, fuel, Suction, and Line filters. (I probably forgot one, haha)

I'm sure you and I will have many conversations in the near future about our diesels :)