LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 12:50 PM

I have a brake job coming up on my 2011 Town & Country. I know nothing about ceramic pads. Can you give me the plus and minus?

• MFDAC said thank you

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 01:34 PM

This is all my opinion.  Someone may completely disagree with me. 

I personally dislike ceramic pads.  I have always felt awhile they generate less brake dust, stop fine, but every set I have EVER put on had a darn squeal that drove me completely bonkers 

I personally prefer semi metallic pads.  Awhile they generate some dust, they do not squeal! 

I've never had an issue with premature failure or fast wear on either. 

Like I said, my opinion and experience.  Your results may very.

• LilysDad and MiCarl have said thanks

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Ceramic brake pads are designed to provide some of the benefits of metallic brake pads (less fade on repeated applications which generate heat for example) without using metallic particles imbedded in the pad lining.  They were brought out to combat brake dust among other things - black sooty appearance on the rims and tires.  Years ago when most vehicles had wheel discs brake dust was not a big concern but in todays world of styled wheels the brake dust from metallic pads does not look pretty and can be hard to remove if left on for any length of time.  Definitely better than organic composition brake pads on repeated applications but metallic still usually provide the best resistance to brake fade on repeated applications.  Some manufacturers try and give you the best of both worlds by making a brake pad set that contains a metallic pad for the inner side and a ceramic pad for the outer side.  The biggest thing to remember about brakes pads and rotors is you usually get what you pay for - a manufacturer can say a brake pad is metallic, ceramic or other composition but they very seldom tell you the percentage of that in the brake pad.  The same thing goes with rotors - they may look the same and bolt on but may not be made to the same specifications as the original - composition of metal, number of fins, etc. 

This link may give you a better understanding of the different types of pads - http://www.autoanyth...r-metallic.aspx  

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 03:21 PM

100% asbestos is preferable. Just skip the 'lick before install' step.

Ceramic is nice though, you can smash up the wife's Precious Moments collection, mix up into a slurry with crazy glue, and build them back up after 40,000 miles.

Semi-metallic is preferred if you do a lot of drifting with your pimped out grocery getter.

Tools needed:

13 mm, 15 mm wrenches.

19 mm, 21 mm sockets.

Grease

Medium sized c-clamp

• NJKen, LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:26 PM

I always just by the Medium priced pads. Cheap ones wear out soon, no need for "racing" so don't get the ceramic.  By the hardware kits or spring kits and maybe even the bolt-up kits and have all new stuff, no fighting with old junk to clean and free-up. Never keep a vehicle long enough to TEST the longevity! Heh!

• LilysDad said thank you

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 884 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:29 PM

I personally dislike ceramic pads.  I have always felt awhile they generate less brake dust, stop fine, but every set I have EVER put on had a darn squeal that drove me completely bonkers

Last year I needed new pads for the front of my Colorado.  The only thing the corner auto parts store had in stock were ceramic.  I took them since I didn't have alternate transportation and didn't want to reassemble the truck to go for pads.

About 8 months later they started squealing like mad.  I tore everything down and it all looks fine - they just like to sing.

The good news is that since they're so annoying they'll probably never wear out.......

• LilysDad and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Nobody is harder on brakes than a NASCAR Cup driver.  They can run 500 miles with glowing red rotors.  Never heard of any of them using a ceramic pad.  Watch when they jerk a wheel off and see the dust fly.  That is not road dust it is pad dust.

• MFDAC and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 07:36 PM

I usually like semi or metallic pads too but my rigs have drum brakes so ---well that's another story!

Anyway my wife's 2010 Dodge Journey may have similar caliper setups as your 2011 Town & Country. Don't go squeezing on the rear caliper piston with a c-clamp to retract it until you check if it screws back in rather than squeezes in. If it is like the Journey, a tool is required to screw the piston back in. Instead of running into town to a parts store on a Sunday for a tool when I did her brakes a while back, I found a broken 1-1/16" socket and built the tool. Here's a couple of pics.

Ignore if your setup is different but in my research it seems that the vans and Journeys share a lot of similarities. I do not know if the front wheel drive rear axle calipers adjust the same as the AWD but I would hate to hear someone breaking a caliper without checking first.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Journey rear bake adjuster 002.jpg
  • Journey rear bake adjuster 001.jpg

• MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks

#9 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 08:08 PM

Brakes are overrated. Spend the $$ on curb feelers

Edited by NJKen, June 25, 2016 - 05:03 AM.

• Cat385B and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 05:54 AM

And a better horn.

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 06:16 AM

That would make an excellent post of it's own.

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:03 AM

It really is a simple job, I did the wife's 2010 T&C last weekend. 10-15 minutes per side, pads and rotors. Rotors were $45 each, pads were $55 for the set.

If she'd set the emergency brake once every few months, I might get to replace the rear brakes some year. Not holding my breath on that one, though.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Last year I needed new pads for the front of my Colorado.  The only thing the corner auto parts store had in stock were ceramic.  I took them since I didn't have alternate transportation and didn't want to reassemble the truck to go for pads.

About 8 months later they started squealing like mad.  I tore everything down and it all looks fine - they just like to sing.

The good news is that since they're so annoying they'll probably never wear out.......

My just about my exact experience with ceramic pads the two times I bought them.  When you are in town and pull up at a red light people on the street stare at you like your brakes are about ready to fail!