Too Much Clover

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 06:39 AM

while I like clover and would not kill it in my yard I under stand others don't care for it.

Step 1.

I would start by getting a soil sample and taking it to the local USDA or county entention office to see what the soil really need instead of willy nilly spreading fertlizerer the lawn doesn't need. 

Step 2

I would get a aerater and use it before spreading fertilizer and grass seed.

Step 3

Learn the type of grass most proment in the lawn and learn to properly mow it. You should never mow more that the top 1/3 off the grass. 3 to 4 inches is the best height setting for the mower.

"Cutting too aggressively, or scalping the lawn, forces grass plants to re-grow their blades, not deepen roots, and also makes your lawn more prone to weeds."

Mow the grass only when it is dry.

" Wet clippings can clog your mower, too, dumping clumps of grass on your lawn which can smother the grass and result in brown spots".

:D   Al

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,236 Thanks
  • 3,223 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:29 AM

I have a lot of clover from April to early July, then the grass overtakes it and it almost disappears by now.

#18 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 897 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Normally my grass goes dormant by the middle of June thru the middle of August. I am still mowing every 4 or 5 days and it SUCKS in mid 90's and 60%+ humidity.

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 889 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:25 PM

I spray my clover with a selective herbicide like Bayer or Ortho. It'll knock clover down in about two to three days and not hurt the rest of the grass. Bayer brand(blue bottle) works as good as Ortho brand and is usually a few dollars cheaper.