Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Still looking for a MF 4850 tiller......anybody ready to sell!?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Olcowhand,
Could you send me some pictures of your modifications? Thanks

Luke, HERE is a thread with some pics.  Not in great detail though.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 08:33 AM

But my memory failed me, as I DID have to weld on tube to mate the tiller extensions.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Looks great Daniel!
Thanks for the link to your old post.....looks like a fairly easy modification.....how does the rest of the tiller (gearbox, slip clutch, drive chain, driveshaft) handle this mod job......built heavy enough?
Thanks Luke

#19 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 12:43 PM

There is one on ebay right now for $900 listed as Snapper 4850 Tiller 1855 Good luck

• limebuzz said thank you

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 01:48 PM

Looks great Daniel!
Thanks for the link to your old post.....looks like a fairly easy modification.....how does the rest of the tiller (gearbox, slip clutch, drive chain, driveshaft) handle this mod job......built heavy enough?
Thanks Luke

Well, it's tilled 5 seasons and just sheared one extension bolt. I have a large rocky garden too.

#21 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 04:09 PM

There is one on ebay right now for $900 listed as Snapper 4850 Tiller 1855 Good luck

I'll check that puppy out.......thank you!
Luke

#22 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Well, it's tilled 5 seasons and just sheared one extension bolt. I have a large rocky garden too.

Good deal, guess Massey overbuilt in design them.......always a good thing!
Thanks Luke

#23 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 10:38 AM

The weak link on the 4250 and 4850 tillers seem to be the gear box.  I only say this, because I have run into as many people looking for gearboxes, as people looking for tillers.  Also, I believe the gearboxes are identical between the 4850 and 4250 models.

The main difference between the models, is the 4850 is heavier all around...it uses 1/8", and 3/16" metal rather than sheet metal.  It also supports the rotating tine shafts with bearings on the end, vs. having them cantilevered out from the center like the 4250.  As such, the drive mechanism is chain drive off the end of the 4850, vs the center drive of the 4250.

The 4850 definitely comes at a higher weight penalty...almost too much for the 1655/1855 units unless the rear lift cylinder and hydraulics are functioning 100% as new.  I always thought I had to have a 4850...until I used the 4250s.  The 4250's completely cover the rear tire width of the 55 series tractors.  The only time a 4850 may have benefit, is if you're trying to till virgin hard packed clay dirt that hasn't been plowed.  Then the sheer weight of the tiller will help it dig in better.  However, that may or may not be something you want to make a habit of.  Because even thought the units incorporate a slip clutch, you see plenty of tillers needing gearboxes.  Maybe the clutches were not adjusted properly (or maybe not working at all) on the units with busted gearboxes...but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

The couple times that the ground has been so hard that it starts to cause the tiller to "hop", I immediately changed the game plan and did some plowing first.  I think that's really the right way to do it.  But to each there own.  This equipment will nearly last forever (apart from normal wear items) if you respect it a little and don't push it past it's limits.

That being said, the ebay unit looks nice...but the tines have definitely seen alot of use and could be replaced near term.  I kinda wonder where all the paint went on that one as well, as the original owner claims that it never sat outside?  Not sure...

Just some random tiller thoughts...

#24 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Well, I'm trying to upload a video (.mp4) file of the tiller, but I'm getting an error "you aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".  If you want me to email you a video of me tilling with the 4250, I'll be glad to.

Other random thoughts I failed to mention... the tillers came with a little "tail" that folds down at the back...I presume to "smooth"  and level the dirt after tilling.  That being said, I have found the tilled soil to be worked so well, that the tail doesn't provide much benefit.

For some reason, the guards seem to frequently be missing on these tillers as well.  I made little metal guard for the top to protect the rotating shaft:

WP_20140405_22_07_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20140407_006.jpg

WP_20140407_009.jpg

WP_20140407_010.jpg

The chain guard is almost always missing as well..because it is plastic.  I happened to get a hold of a plastic one that is as near perfect as I've seen, and modeled a metal one after it.  Here are some fabrication pics of it...I'll have to get a picture of the welded version.

WP_20140423 1.jpg

WP_20140423 2.jpg

WP_20140423.jpg

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, limebuzz and 1 other said thanks

#25 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 11:26 PM

Thanks Eric for filling me in on some of the 4250/4850 do's and don'ts!
Maybe I need to rethink this tiller thing after all......I had planned on tilling new sculpted hard packed waterways with this MF tiller......was gonna pull a harrow/drag behind it to smooth it after lightly scratching the surface about 2-4" deep for small seeding waterway mix. Might be asking alittle to much out of a 30+ yr old implement......especially if gearboxes are the weak link to these!!!
Yeah the one on eBay currently is not as nice as I'd like to find one......looks to have sat outside all its life and the tines are half gone.....think it's been used more then he is leading on!? I feel $900.00 is kinda high for condition myself.....short of rewelding the tines back up with hard surface rid where do you get new tines???
Thanks again!!!!

#26 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Also great fab work on the guard!!!!!!
Looks great!!!!!!

#27 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Eric for filling me in on some of the 4250/4850 do's and don'ts!
Maybe I need to rethink this tiller thing after all......I had planned on tilling new sculpted hard packed waterways with this MF tiller......was gonna pull a harrow/drag behind it to smooth it after lightly scratching the surface about 2-4" deep for small seeding waterway mix. Might be asking alittle to much out of a 30+ yr old implement......especially if gearboxes are the weak link to these!!!
Yeah the one on eBay currently is not as nice as I'd like to find one......looks to have sat outside all its life and the tines are half gone.....think it's been used more then he is leading on!? I feel $900.00 is kinda high for condition myself.....short of rewelding the tines back up with hard surface rid where do you get new tines???
Thanks again!!!!

The tiller would work exceptionally well for that...I would just recommend breaking up the soil first a little with a ripper shank, plow, etc...just something to break through the hard pack top layer.

Tines can still be purchased new!  There are separate numbers for right hand and left hand.  Depending what option you want (plain, hard faced, or super koat), they range from ~ $9 - $18 per tine before shipping.

Right Hand (R50C)

http://www.cleancutt...y.asp?catid=539

Left Hand (L50C)

http://www.cleancutt...y.asp?catid=540

This explains the differences: http://www.cleancutt...om/feedback.htm

The plain (cheapest) option I think would get you an OEM similar replacement, and would likely last you many years of normal use. 

A 4850 tiller will take 24 tines...a dozen right and dozen left.  And while you're at it, you'll be replacing 48 bolts.  So new tines will be $250 - $500 depending on the hardness option you choose...and of course a few good hours of grunt work!

That being said, the $900 ebay one with well worn tines...well, if you put super koat tines on it, you'll be into it $1400+.  If you really are interested in that one, I saw he has it for sale on craigslist for $800, so it may be had a little cheaper.

There is also a 4250 on craigslist now for $850 that has a little better tines on it, but still isn't in "great" condition.  I think it's in the midwest US but I forget. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#28 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 05:26 AM

Hey Eric,

Good lord, your a walking book wealth of knowledge! Lol
Thanks for the info on the tiller tines and the links......I contacted my MF dealer and only the left or right(can't remember which one)was available from agco now so your findings online is a lifesaver to anyone owning these tillers!!!!!
Yeah I kinda thought about lightly disking the waterway first then taking the tiller and fabricating a bolt on hitch to pull harrow and smooth it to prepare a nice seedbed......would like to find a 8ft power seeder to put behind my big tractors but holy smokes are they expensive!!!!!
Again thanks for all your info......I'm greatly appreciative of it!!!!!
Luke
  • ENafziger said thank you

#29 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Yeah I see he has it for $800 on Craigslist......I messaged him on eBay and asked him his bottom dollar.....he replied $800 to me if I bring cash.
I'm kinda on the fence with this purchase.......first off it's 11 hrs away just one way, secondly the new tines expense kinda sours the deal even tho you could run it a year or so before investing for new ones(I'm not gonna be running everyday all day!) Lastly the paint is just horrible......all green with algae and rusted/pitted pretty bad with not a single decal left so there's a sandblast job and new paint and decals if a guy can find decals!?
As bad as I want one just not sure if I wanna pull the plug on this one........🤔
The rarity of them is what keeps drawing me back! Lol

Luke
  • ENafziger said thank you

#30 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 05:39 AM

Where you find the 4250? Couldn't locate it on Craigslist........