16 replies to this topic

#1 scottyms OFFLINE  

scottyms
  • Member No: 83378
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hello all

I am admitidly new to the Bolens tractors sceen...

I just aquired a Bolens DGT1700 with the Mitsubishi L3A diesel engine. Sadly she a non runner, 170psi is best of the 3 cylinders after a compression test. I am amazed at the lack of parts availabilty for these engines. If there's anyone out there with a sugestion or a parts connection i would sure appreciate it.

scotty

#2 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,871 Thanks
  • 2,077 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Welcome aboard,those are good machines,the engine parts are still fairly easy to get,there was a guy on ebay not long ago selling engine kits for them

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, June 23, 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,969 Thanks
  • 4,777 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Here's that eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

He gives a phone number at the bottom.  You might call him to see if there any more available.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#4 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:46 PM

That was a steal of a deal on that engine kit. If you can't get anywhere with that eBay seller, send me a PM. I can get new parts for the L3A engines.
  • blackjackjakexxix and scottyms have said thanks

#5 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 294 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:33 AM

Can you give us more history on the engine, like use, hours, even fuel used?  For example, if the PO tried to use

an alternate fuel, the rings may be gummed up. 

Can you adjust the valves?  If so, check to see that they are in adjustment.  You may not be getting full compression otherwise. 

The higher end small diesels are pretty robust.  Hard to imagine that the engine could be worn out on a garden tractor unless it

received exceptional abuse. 

Regards,

Doug

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 6,969 Thanks
  • 4,777 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I'm not familiar enough with that engine to know, but is it possible that it has an automatic compression release?

If so that could give a misleading reading.

#7 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,871 Thanks
  • 2,077 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 07:35 AM

That was a steal of a deal on that engine kit. If you can't get anywhere with that eBay seller, send me a PM. I can get new parts for the L3A engines.

Good to know that

#8 scottyms OFFLINE  

scottyms
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:10 AM

Here's that eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

He gives a phone number at the bottom.  You might call him to see if there any more available.

I talked to him, said no more available...

#9 scottyms OFFLINE  

scottyms
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:14 AM

So far all i've been able to turn up for parts is another guy with the same rebuild kits but he wants $600 bucks for them. my concern is it needs to be bored or if the crank needs turned then I'll have spent $600 bucks on a gasket kit...

If you could give me some idea as to cost / availabilty on standard size rings and bearings and over sizes available with pistons i would greatly appreciate that.

scotty

#10 scottyms OFFLINE  

scottyms
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:35 AM

Can you give us more history on the engine, like use, hours, even fuel used?  For example, if the PO tried to use

an alternate fuel, the rings may be gummed up. 

Can you adjust the valves?  If so, check to see that they are in adjustment.  You may not be getting full compression otherwise. 

The higher end small diesels are pretty robust.  Hard to imagine that the engine could be worn out on a garden tractor unless it

received exceptional abuse. 

Regards,

Doug

It came from a friend of my grandparents estate.  I bought a Ford 1000 with a front end loader from them 12 or so years ago. His wife couldn't get it started then. We found there was water in the diesel, they had a 250 gallon tank the were using for a couple tractors. after getting some clean fuel in it we discovered two of the injectors had broken internals, guy at the local kubotta dealer said it looked like they may have had water in them that had frozen and caused the parts breakage. Three rebuilt injectors and it still wouldn't even try to start, even with either. At that point she didn't want to spend anymore money on it.

Long story made short, I replaced a hot water tank for her and she asked if I had any interest in the Bolens and if wanted it I could have it.

Thats where I'm at as of today. Valve adjustments all look good, glow plugs work, and its getting fuel... compression test shows 150psi on 2 cylinders and 170 on the third... said she drove it to where it was parked after mowing with it, that it did run rough and blew a good amount more black smoke than usual but that it was running when she parked it. hour meter shows just under 800 hours, I would think it should have lasted more than twice that many hours. I've got a John Deere thats got almost 4000 hours on the original engine. I'm guessing a severe lack of maintance as the oil came out black and tar'ish and the air filter was completly plugged. one curious thing was the back side of the air filter had a lot of soot in it, im not sure how that could happen.  

scotty

#11 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like there are definitely some issues. Lack of maintenance can cause a lot of problems on any diesel engine, but this sounds like something more is going on. 800 hours is nothing for one of these engines. 170 psi is no where near what it will take to get this engine to fire. Water in the fuel is never good and I'm assuming the rings are likely stuck. Any evidence of water in the oil?

I have attached the proper compression test procedure with service limits here. I'll do some checking on availability for std and oversized pistons and rings and a gasket set. I'll PM you with details when I have more info. I can tell you that it will be a considerable amount more than $100. Seriously, that was one helluva deal on those kits. The gasket kit alone on some of these small diesels can easily run over that. 

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and scottyms have said thanks

#12 scottyms OFFLINE  

scottyms
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:57 PM

Thanks I will keep an eye out for any information you can help me out with.

Scotty

#13 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 6,969 Thanks
  • 4,777 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 12:30 AM

This just showed up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...qYAAOSwv9FXgimK

Not as cheap as the one awhile back, but still better than the $600.00 set you found.

• ClassicBolens said thank you

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,133 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:36 AM

With all the problem your engine could easily have, you may be better off going with a rebuilt. Trade yours for a rebuilt, then you will be starting out new.

#15 scottyms OFFLINE  

scottyms
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 08:18 PM

This just showed up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...qYAAOSwv9FXgimK

Not as cheap as the one awhile back, but still better than the $600.00 set you found.

Saw that and bought that 😁
  • ClassicBolens said thank you