Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:01 PM

OK all, I just received an expensive decal set, and no application instructions. I assume just peal and stick, but I would like to get some suggestions for the large ones on how to apply them straight with no crinkles.  

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160503sm.jpg
  • P1160504sm.jpg
  • P1160505sm.jpg
  • P1160506sm.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:16 PM

I don't know if it will work with your decals but when I used to put vinyl lettering  on race cars the only way to do it was to spray sticky side and the car with water or window cleaner and work out the bubbles with a bondo spreader ---the water will let you move them around

You don't need much , just a light mist on both surfaces--after the water dry's they are on for good. 

Someone else may have a better way , but I haven't found it.

• larrybl, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:19 PM

That's the same way I do them. The Bo do spreader works as a squeegee to remove the bubbles
  • larrybl and hamman have said thanks

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,149 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:29 PM

My limited experience is to use the "wet" method on a surface coated with a mixture of dishwasher detergent and clean water after you make sure the surface is clean.  I would suggest doing a smaller one first and see what success you have.  I use masking tape on the top edge to position and secure the decal initially, once it is positioned where I want it I flip it up and carefully peel the back off the decal, spray or apply the soapy water mix with a sponge or clean cloth onto the back of the decal and also on the area where it will be attached.  Then flip the decal back down and use a plastic squeegee such as a body filler applicator and starting at the top and centre work the soapy water and any air bubbles out from underneath the decal by working towards the ends and slowly work your way towards the bottom of the decal.  You can check out clickitandstcikit's instructions here - http://www.clickitan...n-instructions/ .  Make sure you are working in a warm but not hot area - do not apply them in direct sunlight as the liquid will evaporate too quickly .  You can check out the one set that I did on a Bolens here http://www.mytractor...together-8.html starting at post 107 as it shows how I did the front decal using the masking tape.  I applied it dry and had a couple of air bubbles which is why I switched to the "wet" method.  Hope this helps and good luck.

• larrybl, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I've done a few on Speedex. I had no luck with wet, but might just be my method. I do dry, sometimes line or tape to make it line up. Many decals have split full length and you can open just the top of letters, or bottom and roll down to stick, then fold back top or bottom that is left, tear off the backing and roll it back on carefully.  My MM tractors show wet method in istructions or the dry also. One thing for sure is to have the surface clean and no water spots, best to wipe off with towels after washing, let dry. I've held up the decal, taped whole thing up after eyeing it in place and done one end to start, then from middle where first pull ended, roll the backing out from under it as you push on decal to stick straight to surface.  Dry way does not offer any fixes if not straight, but I have been lucky I guess!  Many decals made from vinyl layers are placed on tractor with all the papers still on the front face, then slowly remove backing, stick to surface, then again slowly and while pressing as you go, pull off the outer papers, the vinyl stays behind. That is the plan at least.

• larrybl, Alc, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Some decals don't like the soapy water method as it removes the adhesive.  Check with the decal company and see what they tell you.

• larrybl, Alc, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 05:36 PM

I Like to have at least two shots first to calm the nerves then I eyeball them and go, so far so good.

• larrybl, limebuzz, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 05:48 PM

If they are stickers u should be able to use windex mixed 1/2 with soapy water. I have a cloth tape and make numerous dots for reference with a grease pencil (it comes off easier). then I make sure I have no distractions (wife and kids) and then follow hanks steps
  • larrybl, HANKG, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:26 PM

I Like to have at least two shots first to calm the nerves then I eyeball them and go, so far so good.

Well, this make sense! And also " then I make sure I have no distractions (wife and kids) and then follow hanks steps". I'll check the site where I got them and mock everything up this evening. 

• HANKG said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:32 PM

2 or 3 drops of dishwashing liquid in a cup of water will work fine.  Best way is the wet method.  Doing them dry allows for NO errors at all!

• larrybl and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 09:49 PM

On BOH decals, I checked site for instructions http://www.clickitan...n-instructions/ I set the decals accordingly and think I'll use the dry method on the small decals. Still on the fence with the wet method. Biggest comments were Calm, no distractions, and slow and easy.

So I am taking tomorrow off from work, and leave the phone in the house, TV will be off. and try the dry method. I did one just to see what is involved.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160509sm.jpg
  • P1160510sm.jpg
  • P1160511sm.jpg
  • P1160512sm.jpg
  • P1160513sm.jpg
  • P1160514sm.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#12 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 12:23 AM

Nice Craftsman tractor!  I've done some research and I've found a very good option for applying decals.  This stuff:

https://www.amazon.c...customerReviews

I've got lots of tractors and motorcycles that I'm going to be applying decals to and I plan on using this because of all the excellent reviews.

• larrybl said thank you