32 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:33 PM

Maybe Boss Hog as a new racket going!!  $50 and you can drive anything you want, once a year. 

• MH81 said thank you

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Can you get a medical card if your not in your right mind? :loosing_it: 

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Good question. I got dead brain cells floating around on the left side. Retrained to use the right.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 05:01 PM

You won't get one! You're not only in your right mind, but the left one is out to lunch!

• shorty and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:05 PM

I have had a chauffer's license since I was 18.

When Indiana went to the CDL, I took all the written tests and got my CDL.

I have had way too much aggravation keeping the CDL and the medical card.

I did not have sleep apnea, but I met the criteria, so I had to prove I did or did not have it by doing the sleep test.

The people connected over 20 wires to my body, had the damn lights on and came in every few hours to see how I was doing.....Hell no I couldn't sleep that night!

I have used the machine for 4 years now (because I had to) and it has come to the point that I have to have it to sleep now, but I still haven't had any night of "the best nights sleep I ever had" like some people clam.

Wish this topic didn't come up, cause now I am really upset!

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#21 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I did not have sleep apnea, but I met the criteria, so I had to prove I did or did not have it by doing the sleep test.
The people connected over 20 wires to my body, had the damn lights on and came in every few hours to see how I was doing.....Hell no I couldn't sleep that night!

I have used the machine for 4 years now (because I had to) and it has come to the point that I have to have it to sleep now, but I still haven't had any night of "the best nights sleep I ever had" like some people clam.

That's coming for me this year. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:06 PM

I just get a 6 month "agricultural business" CDL to drive the large trucks at work.  Good for 150 miles from base store.  I have to have an annual medical card physical due to being diabetic, albeit a mild case.  $80 per year for the physical, plus a few bucks for the new drivers license.  

• MH81 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:01 PM

You won't get one! You're not only in your right mind, but the left one is out to lunch!

I ummmh . . . . .         well, I don't know what to say to that.   I'm sorry you feel that way.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:11 PM

I am getting tested next friday to be able to safety certify large trucks (the DOT safety sticker in the window) for trucks at my work.
Same certification as the "public" safety lane gives,  but will be restricted to testing the private fleet of the trucks owned by my work.

I got a bit of a story here about a friend's business and one of his trucks;

Along these lines, my son hangs out with/occasionally works for a tree business owner.  He has a '98 Chevy C3500 "HD"  dump truck, with real low miles for the year/ but is constantly having taillights etc busted due to the nature of the business. The owner never worried about the DOT safety sticker until one of his workers got pegged by the cops for not having it, and the local safety lane was being quite picky, failing it for ridiculous and frivilous things.... like it's had a front bumper and grille replaced and someone, somewhere along the line, hooked up one of the turn signal pigtails "backwards"// it is a 2 bulb light socket and if you turned the t/sig on for the left, both blinked together, while the right side, the 2 bulbs alternated.... but, both sides functioned when called for! I have had my nose in the test book alot and do not remember anything about "how" they flashed, just that they did so....

BUT here in IL, because of the GVW of the truck, the plates on that truck are "F" rated  ("B" is regular pickup to 8K lbs, "D" is up to 12K GVW, "F" is the next weight class, which (I think) is 12,001 to 16K GVW.  This kid got pulled over by the portable scales right after having been failed the most recent time by the safety lane.... and showed the report to the cop/ who specializes in "truck enforcement" and "couldn't believe" they failed him just for that... so gave a verbal warning on the DOT sticker... but hassled the driver about "not" having a medical card/ yet told him that the CDL wasn't needed for that weight class just a medical card.

This kid had his ticket from the previous stop "continued" as he had proof of "he's working on the truck" and has to have the truck stickered and his medical card before the next court date..... with my help in going over the truck prior to his last trip to the DOT inspection station, he finally got that part of the equation solved.....

in IL, any truck with "D" plates or up are supposed to have a DOT safety inspection every 6 months//but as long as you don't have your name on the side of the truck, it seems they don't hassle you about it.

It makes no sense that you would need a medical card but not a CDL... I can see situations requiring the other way around/

there are currently a handful of scenarios where you can hold a CDL w/o a medical card// like the recreational "private use" scenario listed above in the thread, or if you drive say, a plow truck for a municipality/state/county, etc...  there are others, but I can't remember them all offhand. I do know though that if you do not qualify for one of these medical card "exemptions" that they ask you for your medical card at the time your CDL comes up for renewal.

#25 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:48 PM

The medical card used to be required for 17,000lbs and up, they lowered it, in NY to drive the large campers you must take a road test and have an endorsement on you license.  A lot of the people around here pulling goosenecks are  running illegal, no cdl, no medical card, no DOT number, many trailers are not inspected either(I get crap for having mine inspected).  Any combination that I drive/own will be under 26,000, with the trailer being under 10,000 as it's easier to deal with around here, goosenecks for personal use are just a DOT magnet around here, and the NY trailers registered in Maine are about the same.  I am familiar with many of the rules as my father has held a class A license since PA switched to the cdl in the '80s(he's driven trucks since the '70s).  I would like a recreational cdl if I could drive a semi for personal use if they made a cheaper class of registration as well(historic plated trucks can't be used for personal use in NY, while most states give at least some leeway).

• MH81, Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#26 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I have to have a class "A"  CDL with tanker and airbrakes endorsements for my job. I was told that no medical card is required if all of your driving is intrastate, that is never going out of your registered state of residence. I don't have the medical card. It is a job for a municipality.

I don't understand why a health card would be required for your truck either.

DAC

• dodge trucker and adamjd200 have said thanks

#27 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 10:41 PM

I have to have a class "A"  CDL with tanker and airbrakes endorsements for my job. I was told that no medical card is required if all of your driving is intrastate, that is never going out of your registered state of residence. I don't have the medical card. It is a job for a municipality.

I don't understand why a health card would be required for your truck either.

DAC

From what we have been told if you have a tanker and/or hazmat endorsement you are required to have a medical card regardless, the municipal part may overrule this. 

• MFDAC and dodge trucker have said thanks

#28 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 10:46 PM

I've had a sleep study, no lights on, and cameras to check on me, kinda sounds like someone botched that test for personal reasons(some people don't like way people were given a break back then, my dad has been hassled about this before).

#29 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 08:36 PM

I've had a sleep study, no lights on, and cameras to check on me, kinda sounds like someone botched that test for personal reasons(some people don't like way people were given a break back then, my dad has been hassled about this before).

Yeah, the sleep doctor owns the sleep clinic, AND the place that sells the sleep apnea machines....DUH...who wouldn't need the machine!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#30 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, the sleep doctor owns the sleep clinic, AND the place that sells the sleep apnea machines....DUH...who wouldn't need the machine!

I'd find a new place and get re-tested, that sounds like someone who's out for money, nothing more.

• oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks