32 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:54 AM

You ever had one of those questions that no one can answer? 

We recently acquired a 2016 Dodge Ram 5500 dually with a mechanics bed.  Great truck.  Well, we were out in it going to a job site, and I got pulled over for doing 70 in a 65.  Didn't receive a ticket, but was however hassled beyond all belief that I didn't have a CDL and this truck requires a CDL.  Not because the truck weighs over 26,001 pounds, but because it had the capability with a trailer to exceed 26,000lbs.  No ticket was issued, but I was issued a warning citation.  Seems as if this officer was misinformed.

So I started making calls.  Called the DMV, the CDL office, ect ect.  They were all in agreement that no we did not need a CDL unless we were going to be trailering over 26,001 total weight truck and trailer, however they all agreed that we needed something.  What this something was, well no one could be sure.  Some said medical card, some said we needed a different license endorsement, ect ect.

So after many calls, and call backs, it was determined that since the truck was over 10,001lbs we needed a DOT medical card.  One would think that this would be a standard question. 

Today I took all 10 of my people to the doctor, and we all received shiny medical certificates that we were indeed healthy and able to drive this truck.

What amazes me the most that if I owned this truck on my own, I could buy it, load a 40ft flat bed with as much weight as the truck can handle, and I don't need anything.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Key word is COMMERCIAL.  When you have employees, your commercial.  That is "C" in CDL.

• hamman, Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 09:19 AM

I think it's all ridiculous. Some of the ones I see driving rigs shouldn't even be allowed to drive a Prius.

• hamman, Lmiller3358 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:05 AM

You could register it as agriculture. In Indiana you don't need a CDL or even a medical card to run any heavy trucks or tractor/trailers as long as they are agriculture. Being a truck driver, I'm used to all the regulations including a medical card. Don't forget to renew it every 2 years.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, June 23, 2016 - 10:06 AM.

• Gtractor, Lmiller3358 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:16 AM

I was recently told by a cdl driver that '17 or '18 will usher in the age of a "recreational cdl" or RCDL for trucks and trailer that haul our toys and are over 10,001
While I was hopeful that he didn't know what he was talking about, he was pretty specific in the details.
I look at this as another way they will try to steal another 50 from me annually
  • TheFarm2004, Gtractor, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:31 AM

I might be a new federal  thing , at work we had to put stickers on the vehicles that it effected  like a F350 , loaded weight could be over 10,001 so it got a sticker that said  " Medical Card Required "   

• Lmiller3358 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Real danger/safety is one thing, but REALLY?!?? Someone sitting behind a desk gets paid big money just to think up possible scenarios and then formulate hoops so we have to jump through them.    Sorry, rant over, lol.

• MH81, KennyP, Lmiller3358 and 7 others have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:37 AM

I might be a new federal  thing , at work we had to put stickers on the vehicles that it effected  like a F350 , loaded weight could be over 10,001 so it got a sticker that said  " Medical Card Required "   

This truck as it sits now weighs 10,513 according to the sticker in the door.  As built with the mechanic body.

This is all new to me.  I've never had to deal with any of this before.  Seems like its a big "grey" area in the law.

Which has led me to sit down today and take stock of our trucks.  We have a couple F350 Flat beds, and a few others that loaded down may be over the 10,000 mark, I have to look into all this, and I think we maybe need to send some more people out to get their medical cards to be on the safe side.

Key word is COMMERCIAL.  When you have employees, your commercial.  That is "C" in CDL.

I understand that.  But in my limited knowledge of this type of stuff CDL was for anything with Air brakes.  Not pick up trucks.  Honestly, this truck awhile heavy, is no different than a pickup truck(just a bit longer)  It has a standard pick up truck crew cab on it.  Has a 6.7L cummins. 

That is whereI got confused, and I think many of the people at the DMV that I spoke to.  Even the guy at the CDL training center I called said, does it weigh over 26,000lbs?  Nope..well you don't need any type of CDL, maybe you need a medical card? 

If we were to hook up a big trailer, and load it to it's full capacity the weight would be 29,600.  Which is way over the CDL limit, so according to the law, with that setup you would need a CDL. 

But at the end of the day, we all got our medical cards, at 100 dollars a pop.  Now we are all legal beagles! 

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 23, 2016 - 11:39 AM.

• KennyP and Lmiller3358 have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:49 AM

I was recently told by a cdl driver that '17 or '18 will usher in the age of a "recreational cdl" or RCDL for trucks and trailer that haul our toys and are over 10,001
While I was hopeful that he didn't know what he was talking about, he was pretty specific in the details.
I look at this as another way they will try to steal another 50 from me annually

I have mix emotions about this. 

Here are my thoughts(a pennys worth!)

If this "RCDL" requires some sort of road test.  IE backing your rig up, changing lanes, ect ect. I am all for it.  I would GLADLY go take the test and receive my "RCDL".  I think that is a wonderful idea.  I have seen so many people who have no business AT ALL pulling a big 5th wheel camper, trailer loaded down with stuff, ect almost cause accidents it's not funny. 

Now if it is I go to the DMV, pay 50 dollars and receive an "RCDL" that's a joke and a money making scheme that won't make the roads any safer.  All it will do is make the DMV lots of money, and the cops would write lots of tickets, because you know they would be pulling over everyone with a big trailer and checking to see if they had the proper papers.

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 23, 2016 - 11:49 AM.

• MH81, Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 01:29 PM

The quickest way to generate revenue is to outlaw something - then sell permits to make it "legal" like it was in the first place.

• Username, Lmiller3358, WHdbJD and 3 others have said thanks

#11 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:38 PM

You could register it as agriculture. In Indiana you don't need a CDL or even a medical card to run any heavy trucks or tractor/trailers as long as they are agriculture. Being a truck driver, I'm used to all the regulations including a medical card. Don't forget to renew it every 2 years.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Or maybe renew every year if you have a medical condition !

• Gtractor and dropped82 have said thanks

#12 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:39 PM

Was this a local cop or state patrol ? Lots of local cops don't really under stand all the laws.Talking to the dmv is like talking to a brick,I would call the highway patrol or state trooper  they are usually on the ball with this kind of thing.  

• MH81, dropped82 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:52 PM

Was this a local cop or state patrol ? Lots of local cops don't really under stand all the laws.Talking to the dmv is like talking to a brick,I would call the highway patrol or state trooper they are usually on the ball with this kind of thing.

It was a sherrif

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:00 PM

It was a sherrif
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

image.jpeg
  • KennyP, LilysDad, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:30 PM

I am all for making those who wish to pull a "semi" only in camper form have some restrictions placed on them.  I spent 15 years managing a large state park right off the Interstate.  Hate to guess how many outfits I had to park for the people as they could not back their rig.  Only thing they ever drove in their life was a 4 wheel vehicle. Now retired and pulling a 30'+ camper and don't have the slightest idea now to do it.

If a company is doing business within their home state such as a dirt or construction contractor I really don't see any need to a medical card any more than a guy driving to work from home in his pickup.  If pulling a trailer under the 26,001 limit a chauffeur license should be enough.  It is not like your on the road for 18 hours straight.  In Iowa, any person transporting another person and getting paid to transport that other person needs a chauffeur license.

Time to go put a belt on the mower.

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks