Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor July 2016

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now featured tractor July 2016 (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now Featured Tractor July 2016

1. Massey Ferguson MF7 - propane1 (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. General Electric E15 - DH1 (10 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. Bolens 600 - fonz3482 (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. Bolens 1050 - 29 Chev (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

5. Gravely Model L - James Bosma (3 votes [10.71%])

6. Toro Groundsmaster 327 - Diesel1050 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Cub Cadet 108 - olds45512 (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

8. Wheel Horse C-111 - MolonLabe (3 votes [10.71%])

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 03:01 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of July has now officially started. This month's theme is "Lawn Motoring".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of July and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 8 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Massey MF7 - propane1
  • General Electric E15 - DH1
  • Bolens 600 - fonz3482
  • Bolens 1050 - 29 Chev
  • Gravely Model L - James Bosma
  • Toro Groundsmaster 327 - Diesel1050
  • Cub Cadet 108 - olds45512
  • Wheel Horse C-111 - MolonLabe

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• fernandofr4 and agnespi3 have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Ok, I'll put in my 1971 MF7. This mower has not cut grass for a number of years. So, for something different to use I got it out again. It cuts so nice. Because of the large discharge chute, it fans out the clippings so you don't have a wind row like today's mowers. And because of the roller on the back of the deck, it leaves the stripe on the lawn. No noise of this style of deck either, unlike today's high vacuum decks.

Great for trimming because of a good turning circle. Lots of float on the front axle. We bought this mower about 11 years ago. It does not have the original engine. It's a 8 hp Briggs and Stratton. This was changed by a previous owner at some point. Any way, thanks for lookin.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by propane1, June 07, 2016 - 02:39 AM.

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 09:54 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• 010.JPG
  • 015.JPG
  • post-62-0-64014600-1381010192.jpg
  • 009.JPG
  • 012.JPG
  • 014.JPG

Edited by DH1, June 06, 2016 - 09:56 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:55 PM

I'll play along.

Here is my Bolens 600 with front reel mower.  It was a 1 owner machine until last fall. It is all original and was a ton of fun to mow with this spring! This is a highly optioned 600 with electric start, seat cushion, and seat back rest. :rolling:

I almost walked away from buying this 600 because the owner and I couldn't agree on a fair price.  But I couldn't bring myself to leave the reel mower attachment and paid the owners asking price. Paying top dollar for it did come back to haunt me though! When I was looking at it, the tractor ran kinda funky, It was surging and the idle was kinda high. When you adjust the throttle just a little the rpm's would run away and the motor would rev real high. I thought it maybe had old fuel in it and the carb needed some tinkering or adjustment. Well, I stopped on the way home and filled it up with non ethanol fuel, got it home, unloaded it off the trailer, and I was all excited to mow.  Whelp, It ran for 10ft of mowing and it died. :wallbanging:  I ended up pushing it into my shop for the night. I started to tear into the problem/problems and I ended up cleaning the gas tank, installing new fuel line, installing a fuel shut off valve,  installing an inline fuel filter, rebuilt the carb, replaced the plug, new battery and it fired up but ran poorly still. It was still surging and would rev up on its own. Well with a lot of tinkering, and some help from some Bolens experts, we found that the governor linkage was not on right. So I flipped the linkage around and it fired up and ran great!!  I mowed with it a few times this spring, but I have now set it aside because I really want to go over the whole tractor and reel mower attachment before I put it into full use around the house! Enjoy the pics! :rocker2:

Attached Thumbnails

• 600 1.jpeg
  • 600 2.jpeg
  • 600 3.jpeg
  • 600 4.jpeg
  • 600 5.jpeg

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DH1 and 11 others have said thanks

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 03:48 PM

I will place another Canadian entry in the running - my Bolens 1050 garden tractor with a 42” deck – hope it is ok to enter another Bolens tractor.    This tractor came to me as a hand me down from my older brother as he moved up to a bigger and newer model.  I believe the tractor was built around 1968 and is a work horse for me in the summer doing weekly grass cutting duties as well as hauling a dump cart when I do tree trimming and other chores around the yard. 

I got the tractor in 2000 and used it that summer - sorta fell in love with it so that fall I disassembled it and repaired / replaced worn parts, bearings , seals etc. and painted it with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel  to make it look nice and stop it from rusting as it had been left outside for many years.  It came with a TRA10D Wisconsin that I assume was the original engine - my brother put new rings and a valve in it when he owned it I believe.  Last year since the Wisconsin was getting tired and using a little oil I repowered it with a Honda GX390 13 HP motor - moved the air intake and modified the exhaust and other bits and pieces so that it would fit in the tractor without having to cut the hood or do any major modifications – that way the tractor can be returned back to the way it was with the Wisconsin easily.  You can view the repower thread here – http://gardentractor...th-honda-gx390/On average it cuts grass once a week and it usually takes about six hours to do the whole lawn area – some of my lawn consists of reclaimed hay field and barnyard so it usually gets a work out.  

This tractor has served me well for over 15 years and I hope it will out live me.  Hope you enjoy the pictures of it doing one of the many tasks it was designed to perform and thanks for checking it out. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 First Round.jpg
  • 2 Grass Cut.jpg
  • 3 Bolens 1050.jpg
  • 4 Bolens 1050.jpg
  • 5 Bolens 1050.jpg
  • 6 Bolens 1050.jpg
  • 7 Bolens 1050.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, fonz3482 and 7 others have said thanks

#6 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 450 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:02 PM

I will nominate my 1955 Gravel Model L walk behind

This walk behind with the 30 inch rotary mower is a beast.

The motor is a Gravel 6.6 H.P. T block with Fairbanks-Morse mag.

I have two different blades for the rotary mower, one is 1/2 inch thick and the other is 7/16 inch thick

The 1/4 inch thick blade is for finish mowing and the heavier is for brush and tall grass cutting.

I have only used this set up with the thicker blade and it does a marvelous job on clearing land that has overgrown in weeds and saplings.

I hit one of those small disposable propane tanks and the mower never missed a beat.

The propane tank was almost in two pieces afterwards.

When I got this tractor the sides of the mower deck were rusted out and the tires were rotten.

Found a cheap set of 8 inch lug tires and fabricated new skis and sides on the deck.

Engine is equipped with optional chain drive electric start.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1955 gravely l.jpg
  • 1955 2.jpg
  • 19551.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#7 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 11:51 AM

I'll nominate my 1988 (I think) Toro Groundsmaster 327. I picked up this beast, a few weeks ago for $200. Saw it in somone's yard a month or so before, and made a mental note of it. Soon as I had some cash to spend, went and knocked on the door. 5 minutes later I was shaking his hand on going home to make room in the garage! Got it home, changed all the fluids/filters etc, and replaced the keyswitch and battery. Originally I was going to sell it, but after mowing 8 acres, (4.5 of established lawn, and 3.5 that will now become lawn), i'm realizing how useful this thing really is! It has a 4 cylinder Renault-built, Continental motor, and is all hydro drive. 72" deck makes quick work of the lawn! In the future I hope to build a large scoop bucket and set of forks for it!uploadfromtaptalk1465923081689.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1465923098404.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
  • olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#8 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 11:03 PM

i will nominate my 1974 cub cadet 108. ive had this tractor for about 5 years, it came to me as a junkyard dog that was built out of parts from several cubs. after using it to mow and plow for 3 yrs i decided to give it a paint job, the tractor was stripped down to a pile of parts and everything was sandblasted. after blasting i sprayed all the parts with ppg epoxy primer, once the epoxy was dry i started bodywork on the sheet metal. after the bodywork was done the parts received 3 coats of ppg high build primer, once the primer was dry all the parts were wet sanded. once everything was sanded i hung it in the paint booth and gave it 3 coats of case/ih paint.

now that the parts were all painted it was time for reassembly, i had to choose between using new hardware or the original hardware but i took the easy way out. once i had it all back together i topped it off with a decal set from maple hunter, and nice new tires. everything on the tractor was rebuilt with the exception of the engine which didn't need it, it runs the a dream and fires right up on the coldest days. after the restoration i used it for 2 more years to mow and plow but it now has the easy life pulling the lawn sweeper and riding my son's around, when its not doing that it goes to shows and always get a lot of attention.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6718.JPG
  • IMG_20140824_121525919.jpg
  • IMG_20150120_171126671.jpg
  • IMG_20150417_180149514.jpg
  • IMG_0261.JPG

Edited by olds45512, June 16, 2016 - 12:09 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#9 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 06:16 AM

My old 1979 Wheel Horse started life as a C-111 powered by a 11 hp Briggs. When I bought the tractor the engine was shot so she sat for a long time until I came across a donor. I eventually found a K241 with the K301 block and 2-1/2 quart oil pan that came out of a 1974 B-100. Rebuilt the engine and removed the original "shaker" mount to get it installed on the frame. The wiring was all wrong due to the Briggs being a magneto ignition with an unregulated charging system. After installing a Kohler voltage regulator and rewiring the ignition for a battery coil I finally had a working tractor!

The hood originally had a notch in it for the Briggs air cleaner so I cut the length of the hood to eliminate the notch and in the process painted the old girl and re-badged it a C-101. About the same time I came across a C-145 for sale that had a 42" rear discharge deck. I couldn't talk the owner into selling the deck separately so I ended up with another tractor (that I really didn't want).

Rebuilt the spindles, welded the cracks and reinforced the front edge of the deck along with building a working leveling system for it. The deck was originally on a vertical shaft Wheel Horse and wasn't set up correctly for horizontal shaft use.

Fast forward to the present. I have to say that I have never enjoyed mowing as much as I do with this rig. The little Kohler sips fuel and that deck leaves the lawn as flat as a billiard table. When the wife says the lawn looks great you must be doing something right.

SAM_1840.JPG

SAM_1845.JPG

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks