• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Well, I've now put on about 5 hrs and 3 lawn cuts on this new to me tractor, and the only thing that doesn't work is the cruise control. 

When I hold the rocker switch fully over to the "reset" position and hold it there, the cruise seems to work,

however as soon as I release it to the "on" position, it stops working.

Anybody run into this before and/or know what might be the problem?

The other problem I have is my belly, it makes it hard to swing a leg over and get on. But I think I have a solution for it (other than losing weight), I bought one of those steering wheels with a flat bottom, which should give me abut 3 more inches of room to get my leg through.  We'll see once it's installed.

Other then this it's a great machine.

Dan

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 04:44 PM

If it has hydraulic steering the wheel will not always return to the same position. Your flat side may be at the top after a few trips around the yard. 

• DL-North said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Fat-bottomed girls that make the rockin' world go round, I have heard of.

Flat-bottomed wheels that makes the steering shaft go round is a new one on me. 

• LPBolens and DL-North have said thanks

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,145 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Here is a link to the parts manual for it which appears to have a wiring diagram that may help - http://gardentractor...16-gtx18-gtx20/

I am not familiar with the GTX series but I did have a similar problem on a large frame HT-23 - it turned out to be the relay that had gotten moisture in it and as a result the relay arm inside was seized - post #10 http://gardentractor...ens-ht23-today/ .  Looks like yours uses switches and a relay so it could be a problem with one of them, a wire off, a fuse blown etc.  You may have to trace out the wiring diagram and figure out how the magnet gets and maintains power when in the cruise mode. 

#5 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:44 PM

Thanks Guys,

Yup, I've already experienced the steering wheel not returning to "zero" thing, I figure I can just get it close and turn it down when I stop the tractor.

Here is a link to what I bought. I also had to get 2 adapters to convert the bolt pattern.

https://www.summitra...CFZSEaQodnxUIwQ

29 Chev - I believe you are right, your problem sounds exactly like mine and the wiring diagrams are close. 

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by DL-North, June 22, 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:03 PM

I mow about 2 A. every time I mow and found no use for a "cruse control" on a mowing tractor.  I want to control the tractor, not some gadget that only works when it wants to.  What are you going to do when it don't disengage when you hit the brake or the foot control?  Hello tree ! ! !

#7 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:12 PM

It's not so much a matter of wanting to use it as it is just making sure all the features of the tractor are working.

As for will it disengage, I haven't had a chance to try that yet. :)

But speaking of disengaging, the most annoying thing I've found is the clutch disengages when you go in reverse. What a pain.  With a lot of trees, I used to go in reverse a lot, I'll need to figure a new way to mow now, daxx safety's.  

Dan 

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 08:13 PM

The clutch disengaging when going into reverse would be a real pain.  We have planted over 150 trees, shrubs and bushes on our 4A in the last 16 years.  Like you said, use reverse a lot unless I use the F525 JD Front deck.  Just something about that diesel in the 1512 Cub I really like.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I disconnected the cruise on both tractors after installing the diesels. I can see where having everything working for resale value would be a plus. 

Edited by Cvans, June 22, 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#10 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:42 AM

But speaking of disengaging, the most annoying thing I've found is the clutch disengages when you go in reverse.

That's interesting. My GTX-18 doesn't do that. I can mow in reverse all I want and looking at my wiring diagram, there is no safety switch for that. Mine is a first year tractor so that must have been something they added later.

As far as no room at the steering wheel goes, isn't it amazing how cramped these tractors feel for as big as they are over all. I'm certainly not tall but I'm constantly hitting my knees on the corner of the dash when I hit bumps.

Edited by Canawler, June 23, 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#11 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 959 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:44 AM

But speaking of disengaging, the most annoying thing I've found is the clutch disengages when you go in reverse. What a pain.

Yes, this "safety feature" was added to later model GTX tractors. It is pretty much standard on all newer homeowner equipment. The worst ones I've worked on are other brands with hand hydro control that have an override button that you have to push/hold to go in reverse. One hand on the hydro control, one to push the button, one hand on the steering wheel... oh wait?! Who is supposed to be steering this thing?! Um.. hello? I only have two hands available.

This safety "feature" "can" be "bypassed" but I "can't" tell you how to do it.
  • blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev and DL-North have said thanks

#12 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, but I'm learning to live with it, getting pretty quick on that rocker switch. :)  

Hope this doesn't shorten the elec clutch life.

My buddy's has the bypass button, he hasn't complained about it yet.

This safety "feature" "can" be "bypassed" but I "can't" tell you how to do it. 

#13 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 04:19 PM

IMO the more that electric clutch is off and on the better chance for failure,and there not cheap to replace
  • ClassicBolens and DL-North have said thanks

#14 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:10 PM

I agree completely, which is why I don't like this safety.

IMO the more that electric clutch is off and on the better chance for failure,and there not cheap to replace 

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you