#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 08:59 AM

I've heard anything from 30, 35, 40 45 to 60 degrees of angle when sharpening. What do you guys sharpen at? I've always stayed with the factory angle, sadly I've never gauged it to see what it was. I have a lot of people around the area that want me to sharpen their blades and was thinking about making a dedicated jig for the grinder just for mower blades. I know they are cheaper now days but a lot of people want theirs sharpened a couple of times if possible. Now we live in a area of Michigan that is very sandy and that reeks havoc on the blades. Just wondering what is out there on angles. I've seen guys use a angle grinder to do it with flap discs, a belt sander with 120 grit and the smaller HF belt sander to do it. Thanks for any info. Now out to mow a couple acres and then to sharpen some blades. About 20 that have been dropped off and sent to me.    have a great day!                                                                                                                                                                                  Roger

• propane1 said thank you

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 09:04 AM

​I do a lot of blades myself but most time just replace with new. The angle to use is 30 degrees as that is what most of the new ones I have here are. Hope that helps

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 11:45 AM

That's what I was thinking. 30 degrees. You've got a busy day ahead of you Roger. I just finished cutting two and half acres, with my 1951 Ferguson tractor and 6' finish mower.

Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 11:57 AM

People really buy new blades when theirs get dulled down?  I don't think I have ever seen anyone in my family buy new blades.  Dad usually pulls them off twice a summer and sharpens them on the grinder, and back on the mower they go.  All I ever seen him do, or done myself is match what was already there

• hamman and shorty have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,738 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Don't have sandy soil, do ya? Be lucky to get two seasons out of a set of blades around here. They kinda get sandblasted while they're cutting.
  • hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 12:30 PM

I just try to match the factory angle. The main mower has the same set 8+ years. The back up mower has blades 18 years now. They get touched up every few years. More of a rough cut mower mainly for the neighbor.
  • hamman, toomanytoys84 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 03:38 PM

Yup 30 degrees seems most common, pattern after one of these perhaps, it's what I did, just make the blade bed a little longer it will maintain contact and help it stay true all the way to the edge
I like 60 grit flap discs on a 4-1/2" grinder with a maintained on/off switch.

https://www.bing.com...b6o0&ajaxhist=0
  • hamman said thank you

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 03:42 PM

if the blades just need a touch up I use a 12" file and match the angle that is there.

If the blade need more than a touch up I use and angle grinder and try to might the angle of the blade.

• hamman said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 03:42 PM

Supposed to sharpen blades??  Once a year, usually in spring here. Just take to local shop. For the few bucks they ask, they get dirty, wear out equip. They just grind about same as orig I guess. I don't think it really makes much diff, some sort of sharp edge at those speeds is gonna cut grass. If you really look at new ones, they are Not all that sharp, just nice and even really. I think the bent up part just behind the cut edge is where you get the most changes in the lift and seperating actions and how it wind-rows on the lawn.

• hamman said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:10 PM

Thanks guys. Been looking a lot after the first post and it looks like 30* is it. Now I just thave to make a jig to fit to the grinder. Saw a coulpe of ideas on youtube but I will have to modify for my needs. Thanks again. Back out to mow again until dark. Another neightbor needs his summer place taken care of before this weekend. Think I'm going to have to look for a newer machine to mow with. Just don't like using the old ones for all that mowing.                                                  Roger

• WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks