• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 671 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hello cub gurus, I have recently replaced the wire harness and starter generator, also the solenoid, still starter will not turn. Checked the safety switch it is good and have voltage to the starter. Question is if I had the starter wired backwards will this cause it to fail? Also even though the ignition switch is functioning could it be causing enough resistance to not turn the starter generator? Engine turns freely by hand so don't think this is an issue. I have also read that a bad ammeter could cause resistance is this enough to cause a no start?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 11:46 PM

There is a lot of possible problems. Download the manuals and find the troubleshooting guide(in the engine manual). Follow the guide step by step. This is the best way to find the problem. Good Luck, Rick

• Eric said thank you

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hook that starter generator up straight to the battery with jumper wires see if it works then. That way you'll know for sure
  • Eric said thank you

#4 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:07 AM

I would double check the grounding points before anything else.
Good luck. Tom
  • Titus and Eric have said thanks

#5 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 01:21 PM

I had one like that the other day and the brushes were stuck.
  • Eric said thank you

#6 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 671 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Well got the starter turning, auto compression release is bad and need to tear the motor out. Not what I wanted to do as this is my back up mower. My estate keeper recently has developed transmission problems so now my groundskeeper restore has to take a back seat again.

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 09:35 PM

working on a 1200 right now for a "no crank w/ key.  The only way I could start the tractor was with a set of jumper cables and a jumper to the "+" terminal on the coil....  I just got the Fluke meter out finally and started checking; no power to the small terminal of the solenoid when key is in "crank" position.  I traced the wiring and tested it section by section,  traded parts back n forth with another 1200 I have here, starting with the key switch;  no change. but when I went to plug in the harness to the "borrowed" switch I noticed the plastic connector by one of the terminals had partially melted somewhere in the past; all the terminals look fine though the one nearest the melted spot looked slightly "pushed out" and it took a lot of wiggling to get that one to make contact....

look at something like this as a possibility on yours.  

Not to jack this thing, but can just the plastic part of the ignition switch plug itself, be bought separately?   I think in my case if I can get the terminals to release, and I can find a new plug (only) that should take care of this issue as the rest of this harness is in great shape. (and it's someone else's tractor that I am fixing for them too)

#8 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 671 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 01:40 AM

Dodge trucker, the harness, starter and solenoid were just replaced and the switches are good. Found out the compression release was not working causing the starter to not turn, removed belt and spun like a champ. Looks like I have to pull the motor and drop the pan to reconnect the spring.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 05:57 AM

These days new does not necessarily equal "good" parts.....

did you pull the head and watch the valve yet?

I never have looked for this but they say that the exh valve has a little "bump" in it as it opens while the engine is rolled over slow....  if the compression release works. 

Yeah, there can be many reasons that an engine acts a certain way/ all we out here in computerland can do is to help with suggestions based on our own experiences....

• Eric said thank you

#10 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 671 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Today I removed the head and cam cover, the acr is attached and working properly. The piston and valves were full of carbon so I cleaned them and set the tapets to their proper settings. I am wondering if my exhaust valve has slight wear causing not enough lift to release the compression enough to let the starter turn this motor over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub, 127, starter