Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey MF10/MF12 gear drive idle questions.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Alright guys, after having my MF12 for over a year now. I am tired of chasing after my idle speed and I don't think it is the carb. I even pulled the carb off last night and went through it and the only thing that I seen was the tiny holes on the service nozzle in the machined service area needed cleaned. I cleaned them up and I have the carb tuned great. At idle with the clutch out the idle speed is perfect. Press the clutch in and it ramps up in speed, I don't know how many rpm increase but it is substantial.

I wanna know if anyone else with a gear drive has this issue? Does your idle speed change depending on if the clutch is pressed or not? I understand why the idle speed would change so don't need that explanation LOL.

I guess what I am trying to find out is if I need to service the variable sheave or redo the adjustments so there is more of a freewheel when in neutral whether the clutch is in or out.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 07:52 PM

I think you're barking up the right tree.
How are the belts looking? Any flat spots.
And if you set the idle with the clutch in, does it die when you engage the clutch?

edit
no, idle speed does not change dramatically whether clutch in or out.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 07:53 PM

I think you're barking up the right tree.
How are the belts looking? Any flat spots.
And if you set the idle with the clutch in, does it die when you engage the clutch?

I haven't set the idle with the clutch in but I can promise if I did it would stall. I also never put it in the park position on the variator.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 07:56 PM

On the final driven sheeve, the one with the shims? Are there extra shims on the outside?

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:02 PM

In this pic, you can see about 3 shims on the outside of the sheeve. When I put brand new MF belts
on, all the shims had to be inside the sheeve. Also, it's important to follow the adjustment proceedure
in the service manual. Ya can't just wing it.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010116.jpg

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I actually just moved a couple of shims when I did the detent springs in the tranny. Mainly because if I had the variator in 1st - 3rd you could really notice some slipping. So I adjusted the shims to try and help. I did try to follow the procedure in the service manual last year but I know something about it didn't make sense and I did "wing" it LOL. I will have to print the manual again and maybe try and adjust it tomorrow. I just hate coming to a stop and then the idle is really high like it is lean but it isn't until I let the clutch out with the tranny in neutral and then it sounds good.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I would think that if the idle was set with the clutch in and the governor was set correctly as the clutch started to engage it would open the throttle to keep the same RPM . I think it might be worth a try to checking the governor settings , Al

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:21 PM

When you put the vari-drive in park it's the same as holding the clutch down, the belts loosen right up.
As far as the idle changing when the clutch is pushed or not, when the vari-drive is in 1to5, all that changes is the belts tighten and loosen up as you know.
Is there any thing dragging, belt guide not right, double sheaves not turning freely, stiff tensioner, trany not turning freely?

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:33 PM

but it isn't until I let the clutch out with the tranny in neutral and then it sounds good.

There shouldn't be that much drag in the tranny in neutral, should there?

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Look at post #6 >http://gardentractor...varidrive-5968/

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 09:43 PM

I don't think it is drag in the tranny. I think it might be the sheave. I noticed today when shutting it down it kind of made a knocking sound which was the clutch pedal hitting the foot plate on the last revolution of the engine at shut down.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 09:46 PM

I am going to dig in to it tomorrow and will let yas know if I find anything. I am sure it needs proper adjustment anyway. I think my belts are still in decent shape.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 09:57 PM

I was just going over the service manual and am I the only one that finds their instructions a little confusing? I am hoping though between the manual and Doug's post he linked to I should be able to figure it out.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 10:47 PM

I was just going over the service manual and am I the only one that finds their instructions a little confusing? I am hoping though between the manual and Doug's post he linked to I should be able to figure it out.

I agree, the manual was written in Celtic, then translated by Tibettan Monks into English.

I think I know the sound you are talking about... Your tensioner pulley is either going bad or the belt/tensioner is hitting the underside of the tin. That would put a substantial drag on things if thats the case. Only q here is you should be hearing it all the time.

You should be able to set the idle with the clutch in and then the gov should compensate. If it doesn't respond fast enough, you may have a governor problem. If you pull another tractor with good brakes and have the second driver begin to engage them, you should hear the governor open things up. Even at low rpms, it should respond, may still stall, but it should respond.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 10:55 PM

I know the governor works great. If I have it at idle speed and go to pull out even if fourth it kicks the rpms up. With the stack on it, it is more like a bark and very noticeable. I know the tension spring for the belt tension pulley was rusted up pretty good and didn't make for smooth movement of the pulley arm. I should probably pull it off and sandblast it and put a light coating of grease on it.