• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • Member No: 83590
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hello! New poster here, I really like this site!

I've been trying to mow my property (lots of weeds/grass) and I have been using a normal mower because my MTD Yard machines tractor keeps shredding the PTO belt. It's a 608 and has a manually engaged pto.

Problem is:

The PTO drive belt seems to be contacting the spring that pulls to tension the belt, no contact when the pto is engaged, but the silver lever that pulls the spring interferes with the steering tie rod.  

If the deck is all the way up it really contacts, and that is usually where I have it set to mow.

I've tried bending the silver lever (that is attached to the pto lever) and even have tried moving the spring around, but I cant get the happy spot of no tie rod contact and belt contact.  Seems like nothing is bent.

Any help would be very nice! Or a picture of someone's mower that is working.  I made a video I am posting to youtube as well.

Thanks

RIck

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 09:21 PM

It sounds like there is an alignment issue with the deck.  Maybe if you could provide some pictures we could provide better advice.  Welcome to GTtalk.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and MTD608 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 09:37 PM

Welcome to GTT. I agree with Bill. It does sound like an alignment problem. To check if the deck is hanging properly and the belt is routed right, download the manual from our Manuals Section. You may have to search for it. I think that it is filed under "others". I've seen belts routed on the wrong side to the guide pins. Good Luck, Rick

Try: http://gardentractor...-lawn-tractors/

Please post a picture.

Edited by KennyP, June 22, 2016 - 07:32 AM.
Replaced Kenny with Bill

• Sawdust and MTD608 have said thanks

#4 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I've got the tractor apart at the moment, but here is the video.

The deck seems to be aligned properly, the belt sits parallel to the ground, seems like it's more in the tensioning system or the pto lever.

I'll try to get it back together in the next few days and take a video of where it contacts and the deck and such.

Thanks for the replies!

Rick
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:02 AM

I think your hooking the spring in the wrong place on that tension arm.  May even have the arm in the wrong position.  I believe the spring hooks to that pin that is protruding down by your fingers in the video.  Those pulleys you have toward the rear tires swing around and are up by the motor pulley.   Looks like the same step up that is on the Cubs and just put new belt on mine.  You need to get the diagram to see exactly where things are supposed to go.  Kind of hard to explain without the drawing.

Edited by chieffan, June 22, 2016 - 07:03 AM.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and MTD608 have said thanks

#6 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 09:45 AM

By tension arm you mean the silver lever? Or the pulley setup? I've tried practically every single combo of putting the spring on. But before I took it apart, the spring was on the top of the pulley set pinned on, and the spring was on the bottom of the silver lever (as the parts diagram shows). But it binds the spring if I put it on top of the silver lever (where it won't contact the belt) maybe the spring is too big in diameter? Like I say I'm not sure what's been done to this and it's near impossible to find a picture showing this mechanism online.

I got it passed on to me, and know no history of it, other than supposedly it worked fine, and then I used it once and it was a belt shredding machine. Followed the belt routing diagram on the mower, but I just can't find any info on that manual pto lever, even downloaded the manual above and it didn't seem to mention anything other than pulleys misaligned and such. They seem to be fine...

I'll try to get more pics up here maybe that will help.

Rick

Edited by MTD608, June 22, 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 01:07 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• MTD608 said thank you

#8 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Thanks! I called MTD support, and they were stumped. I'm beginning to think something has been replaced that isn't supposed to be on the mower, but I'm not certain as I have no reference. The tech did say it is a 2001, so at least I know the year now.

At this point I'm thinking about fabbing up a custom linkage, or just converting a regular mower/the mower deck to a pull behind, with more height adjustment and more field mowing friendly....

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Is there an MTD model # on that thing (besides 608)?

#10 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 11:03 PM

20160621_144334.jpg

Here's the model and serial number.

Thanks

Rick
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:36 AM

I found the mower and engine operators manuals for it. Page 21 of the mower manual show the deck. May show what you need.

There is a parts listing at the end of the manual that may help also.

• boyscout862 and MTD608 have said thanks

#12 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the link to the manuals! It helped verify I had the belt on correctly, and that all the parts look correct. The only thing I can come up with is that if I replace the pto engagement spring with one of smaller diameter, it appears that it will clear the belt fine. I'm not sure that that spring needs to be of a certain poundage, but as long as the belt tensions I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work...

I just don't know enough about these tractors, but in theory it should be working fine.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:26 PM

You should be able to buy a new spring for that tractor yet. Might be worth the $.

#14 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Yes, I can, but the thought behind replacing it was to put a smaller diameter spring on for added PTO belt clearance.... However, yes it does need to be a certain poundage spring. I am at a loss. The plastic PTO lever retainer was broken, and I essentially had to tear the darn thing down to get at the part. So the only thing I can think of is maybe that allowed the lever to drop too low, as it sets the height of the lower spring lever, thus the spring contacted the belt.....

I guess I'll order all new PTO lever related items and see if that fixes the issue.... If not, I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Another money pit in my garage haha

• KennyP said thank you

#15 MTD608 OFFLINE  

MTD608
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 12:44 AM

Ok I have apparently fixed the mower!

I replaced the following parts on the diagram attached:

Part #1

Part #14

And there is another part outside of the picture, it is a plastic split bushing with a hex to round head. This part snaps over the round shaft on Part #1 and the welded washer on that part sits on the round part of the hex bushing.  I believe this was the main issue, as the one in the mower seemed broken, which would allow part #1 to drop lower, thus lowering the spring (#14) and allowing contact with the belt. 

Also the other possible problem was the belts I was using, I read somewhere that the belt needs to be a mower belt to allow slippage when tension is released, so if the belt was moving when the pto was disengaged. I was using a standard v belt, but replaced it with the proper belt.

It stumps me that MTD didn't suggest that $3 bushing could be the issue.... 

I also added a spacer where #14 sits on the idler assembly for a little extra clearance.

Thought I would update in case someone else encounters the same problem.

Did about 5 hours of mowing today, blades seem a little dull but it cuts good still.

Tempting to juice up the motor a little bit, looks like a VW carb would fit on the B&S manifold haha and the exhaust could be cooler... but I think it'll just stay the way it is! Could use brighter headlights maybe LEDs?

2016-06-27 23.11.44.png

20160627_171815.jpg

• VTXrider said thank you