• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Sears Tractors and Volvos seem to be my thing. I see a correlation with my style. I must like old and square for some reason. Quality and reliability  are always my main concern before looks but I cannot say I don't like things looking nice.

The caption of the day got me thinking as I saw a newish but grubbed up car and I don't like it when my stuff is that much of a mess it makes my brain hurt....I mean really don't people take care of their stuff. Don't get me wrong I buy junk all the time (as my wife tells me) but to me its not junk its just neglected and needs my help.

Here is one of my Volvos I got a few years ago that I saved.

rubyy.jpg

Ruby2.jpg

Ruby (1).JPG

ruuby.jpg

Interior.jpg

My volvo collection ...

volvos.jpg

This red one is my daily driver with 260K miles does not burn , use , or lose a drop of oilbetwen oil changes and has cost me 1.65. in repairs the last two years. When I got this car it was a last chance or its going to the scrapper, I put about 600.00 into the car when I got it. New brakes exhaust , bushings, fixed a few switches and this thing has been a champ. 

This world has become so disposable its actually quite a shame. After driving this car around for the past two years and not having any car payments I will never buy a new car again. Heck This one will most likely last the rest of my life unless a tree falls on it or something beyond my control. 

• Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:06 AM

I had 69 and 70 164's
And drove a 144e for several years.
It almost had enough power to get out of its own way, and I got so good at fixing it that I could tell what wire broke or shorted by the noise the thing made when it died.
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:08 AM

Those are nice & reliable cars. I had a client years ago including all his kids had Volvos...brand new. At that time they were voted the most safest car on the road because of what he called a wrap around frame in the cockpit area. Nice looking collection.

Edited by Sawdust, June 21, 2016 - 08:10 AM.

• John Arsenault said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:20 AM

I think that there is a P1800 Volvo with over 2 million miles on it. Good Luck, Rick

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 02:47 PM

I had one , don't remember what year that had the 400,000 mile medallion on the trunk when I bought it and drove it for a couple years until the transmission starting acting up---good car.  

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 03:53 PM

This the brand that also had a 2 cycle engined car with odd drivetrain, looked kinda like from 30's in design?  I always thought would be neat to have one of those, just for fun.  These "newer" ones like you have, not familiar with. The real late ones seem OK, and as noted supposed to be one of safest. Never much on looks, but Safe!  To each his own.... :smilewink:

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:21 PM

I think that there is a P1800 Volvo with over 2 million miles on it. Good Luck, Rick

Its up to 3 million now 

http://nypost.com/20...t-slowing-down/

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:25 PM

These "newer" ones like you have, not familiar with. The real late ones seem OK, and as noted supposed to be one of safest. Never much on looks, but Safe!  To each his own.... :smilewink:

One of the newer ones (2001) I have has 358K on it ....its my youngest sons  Just did the timing belt water pump pcv service so that it will go another 300. Body hold up great on these in the rust belt, the electrical problems cant get to you though. I am the one with the older ones

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:25 PM

I had one , don't remember what year that had the 400,000 mile medallion on the trunk when I bought it and drove it for a couple years until the transmission starting acting up---good car.  

200.00-300.00  bucks later and half a weekend and you may still be driving it.

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:28 PM

I had 69 and 70 164's
And drove a 144e for several years.
It almost had enough power to get out of its own way, and I got so good at fixing it that I could tell what wire broke or shorted by the noise the thing made when it died.

I'll be honest ...foot to the floor getting on the highway. Its the 114hp that makes these cars so hard to kill , they don't make enough power to hurt themselves. 

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:25 PM

This the brand that also had a 2 cycle engined car with odd drivetrain, looked kinda like from 30's in design?  I always thought would be neat to have one of those, just for fun.  These "newer" ones like you have, not familiar with. The real late ones seem OK, and as noted supposed to be one of safest. Never much on looks, but Safe!  To each his own.... :smilewink:

The 2 cycle cars from Sweden were the 1950s and 60s SAABs. They were 3 cylinder with 4 on the tree. Fifty years ago, my neighbors' commuting car was his SAAB but, his toys were a pair of Bugattis and a 1936 supercharged Bentley touring. I always thought that he had great taste. Good Luck, Rick