• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Hi, I'm new here but I have been working & collecting tractors for some time, mostly Cockshutt farm tractors and Wheel Horse garden tractors. Recently I acquired a McLean Husky and know very little about it. Fact is I surfed the net for 4 days just to find out what it was. There is very little info out there for these tractors. I have a lot of work to do on this thing, including machining all new parts for the transmission and returning the rear end to what it should be. If any one has any info or pictures of these tractors that they would like to share I would be very grateful. I have included a pic of what I have to start with.

mclean10.jpg mclean11.jpg

• Gtractor, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:13 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• Achto said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Welcome to GTT. The transmission may be an "off the shelf" type. Let us know how you are doing and ask questions. We try to help. Good Luck, Rick
  • Achto said thank you

#4 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 08:57 PM

The transmission consists of two sets of chain drives for forward, high & low. There is a gear to gear to chain drive for reverse. This is all contained in a box between the frame rails. It is belt drive from the engine to the tranny. From the tranny to rear is belt drive on each side, from there it is chain drive to each wheel. Pic is what the transmission should look like. Second pic is what mine looks like.

Four-Wheeled Husky 2.jpg

IMG_20160428_175323376.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 11:46 PM

Most of those parts look common. Try Wholesale Tool and Surplus Center for the parts. Good Luck, Rick

• Achto said thank you

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:32 AM

This might give you a little background if nothing else.  You may have actually found it already but it was worth a shot.

http://tractorfriend...entractors.html

• DougT, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 07:11 AM

Welcome to GTtalk glad to have you. Looks like a fun & rewarding project. Like mentioned a lot of the old stuff used common parts especially inter changing with others. I like the nose on the grill. I wonder if that had a medallion or decal in there. Don't be shy we're all here to help & enjoy your project with you.
  • boyscout862 and Achto have said thanks

#8 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 01:00 PM

This might give you a little background if nothing else.  You may have actually found it already but it was worth a shot.

http://tractorfriend...entractors.html

Thanks David, I had found this site, it has the most information that I have found on these tractors.

Welcome to GTtalk glad to have you. Looks like a fun & rewarding project. Like mentioned a lot of the old stuff used common parts especially inter changing with others. I like the nose on the grill. I wonder if that had a medallion or decal in there. Don't be shy we're all here to help & enjoy your project with you.

I believe the front had a decal because there are no holes for mounting a medallion, not sure though. It's little details like this that I'm looking to find the correct answers for.