• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jd87 OFFLINE  

Jd87
  • Member No: 83575
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hello I've recently acquired a Gilson 8hp tractor for free.the engine is no good.the owner rebuilt entire deck 2 years ago.im mainly looking to see just what model it is and any information on it.thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160620_112208706.jpg
  • IMG_20160620_112202292.jpg

#2 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:07 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Your title said GILSON, but your post says GIBSON...I see by the photo that it is a Gilson.

Not sure on the model, but it is a "lawn tractor" not a "garden (ground engaging) tractor"

• KennyP said thank you

#3 Jd87 OFFLINE  

Jd87
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yes I didn't mean to write Gibson.thanks for the information so far.i cant find anything on the web about it at all.was hoping someone could chime in

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 01:06 AM

Good little mowing tractor.Well built and fun to mow with.

Mine was identical to that one other than having a 10hp briggs and rear discharge deck.Engine in mine was smoking a bit so I swapped in a newer 14.5hp OHV Intek.

Gas tank on the side of the engine took some "engineering" to make it fit lol.

Yours has the same 3 speed peerless transaxle as mine did.They are better than the cheaper 4,5,6,7 speed peerless that they used in the Lawnboy and Fords that were made by gilson.Neighbor has a Lawn Boy LT12 that's identical to yours but with 12hp briggs in it.

http://www.tractorda...t-8-photos.html

Sold mine because I could not find new blades for the rear discharge deck on it and they were worn down to the point of it leaving an uncut strip of grass.Blades were always pretty hard to find for Gilson rear discharge decks.They were a funky shape with a big spinning disk with teeth attached under the blades to help mulch and kick the grass out the back.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 06:36 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Your title said GILSON, but your post says GIBSON...I see by the photo that it is a Gilson.

Not sure on the model, but it is a "lawn tractor" not a "garden (ground engaging) tractor"

Yes I didn't mean to write Gibson.thanks for the information so far.i cant find anything on the web about it at all.was hoping someone could chime in

I fixed that!

• KC9KAS said thank you

#6 Jd87 OFFLINE  

Jd87
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the great information. ill likely be putting an 11hp briggs on it and go through it and clean it up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 8hpgilson, information